Maryanne

UltimateBettas Veteran

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,850 posts
  • Betta Count:Enough.
  • Total Fish Count:Many!
  • Referred By:google

Posted 08 December 2011 - 02:09 PM

Top Fin products in general are NOT my favorite, but I was able to come by a lot of aquarium supplies that included a brand new 100 watt Top Fin heater in the packaging.

I have heard many many issues with people having these crap out and overheat their tank, so I decided to try it for myself in my brine shrimp hatchery. I don't really mind if that overheats as I have other forms of baby food.

This was the heater I have.
Posted Image

As a rule, I do a 1:10 part bleach dip for 20 mins on any new equipment in the fish room.

When I put this heater in the tank (not plugged in yet) and filled the tank with water. I didn't dump the water in fast, but I did dump it in. Then I noticed these black flakes floating around in the water. I fished a few out to see what the heck they were and surprisingly they were fish shaped! See the dots on the bottom half of the heater? Yeah it was those. They rubbed off extremely easily. It was a pain in the butt to get all of the little flecks out of the water, and it was a good thing I didn't have gravel or fish in that tank!

As far as the performance, it held a steady 80F for about a week and then mysteriously jumped to 93F out of the blue. These heaters are as bad as people say. Don't bother with them. As an equally cheap replacement, I recommend Hagen Elite heaters. I have had many of these work very well over the years, and they usually cost around $17.

#2 VelvetDragon

VelvetDragon

we build the wall to keep us free

• Administrator
  • 5,871 posts
  • Referred By:haley
  • Statement:I believe -- I believe -- everyday's a good day when you paint

Posted 08 December 2011 - 03:20 PM

Thank you Maryanne for a test of this heater! Freaky stuff.

#3 Solitarianknight

Solitarianknight

Formerly known as dimidiata

• Members
  • 4,255 posts
  • Betta Count:2
  • Total Fish Count:many
  • Referred By:the gravitational force that shrouds UB
  • Statement:luchamos por la liberación de los bettas! Las viva bettas

Posted 08 December 2011 - 04:44 PM

Thank godness, brings me back to the Topfin poll i posted, they make shotty products in general. Good to know that no fish were harmed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq