amethyst

Alpha Betta

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,160 posts
  • Betta Count:0
  • Total Fish Count:An ever-changing number
  • Referred By:Carmenellie
  • Statement:All is well, all is well, and all manner of things is well.

Posted 25 November 2011 - 12:49 AM

Hi everybody. I'm battling columnaris in one of my tanks. So far, of the 5 fish in the tank, 4 have died, and the last, a male guppy, has a body ulcer like the one in the columnaris pinned post. Here's the background: New 10g tank, purchased a couple of weeks ago, a couple of days before buying three guppies to put into it. I put filter media from existing tanks (containing only healthy fish) into the filter, as well as adding some rocks and silk plants from existing tanks, so I had nitrifying bacteria in the tank from the start.

The three guppies I purchased, 1 male and 2 females, were the colors that I have been wanting to breed. I added a female from my community tank who was in the same color range. Since I was putting new fish with one I already had raised, I added Melafix. My plan was to use it for 3 or 4 days, as recommended by the bottle with new fish. By that time, one of the new girls was showing signs of columnaris, but I wasn't sure at first what it was. Just knew that her tail was wasting away, and her body in front of the tail was looking more opaque, kind of whitish/greyish. I did a water change and kept using melafix. I also added a female platy who was looking sick from my community tank, since I was already medicating that tank. After a day or two the platy startd looking like she was growing fungus, so I started using Pimafix with the Melafix. Also did another water change. I had also checked for ammonia a couple of times, and had none in the tank. I had lost the color chart for my master test kit, so all I could test for was ammonia. When I found it, I did a more thorough test, and all my levels were good. Zero ammonia and nitrite, nitrate under 10.

By then I had had the opportunity to look online, and had decided it was definitely columnaris - typical saddle pattern. The first two fish to show symptoms had died (the two new females), and the others were getting worse. I got some maracyn and began treating with that while discontinuing the Melafix and Pimafix, but then had to be away and missed a day of treatment. When I got back, the other two females (the female guppy from my other tank and the platy) were dead, and the male was symptomatic. I've given him 5 days of maracyn, though the first day was before the missed day, so only 4 days in a row. He continues to be more active than the females were as their infection increased, and he is eating. However, he now has an open ulcer on the left side of his body. Yesterday it had started to form, but was still the white color of the surrounding infection. Today it is reddish, as if the scales and skin are completely gone in that spot.

Other than continuing the maracyn treatment for another 5 days, is there anything else I can or should do? What's the likelihood he'll recover, now that he has a open ulcer? He is a very pretty little guy, and I'd hate to lose him, but I also hate to see him suffer.

Thanks in advance. :notworthy:

#2 amethyst

amethyst

Alpha Betta

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,160 posts
  • Betta Count:0
  • Total Fish Count:An ever-changing number
  • Referred By:Carmenellie
  • Statement:All is well, all is well, and all manner of things is well.

Posted 25 November 2011 - 08:42 PM

Well, he was dead when I got there today to check on him, so I guess I no longer need help with this. I'll just disinfect everything really well before I put anything else in the tank.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq