#1 brianjim

brianjim

UltimateBettas Veteran

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,547 posts
  • Betta Count:Lots and Lots
  • Total Fish Count:Even more
  • Referred By:myself
  • Statement:It's all fun and games till someone puts their eye out.

Posted 14 November 2011 - 04:19 PM

Cleaned tanks yesterday and decided I wanted more Cory babies, so I picked 3 females and 6 males, put them in a 90% water change and dropped the temp. with ice and dropped them in. This afternoon I came home to these. Better pics later.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#2 Solitarianknight

Solitarianknight

Formerly known as dimidiata

• Members
  • 4,255 posts
  • Betta Count:2
  • Total Fish Count:many
  • Referred By:the gravitational force that shrouds UB
  • Statement:luchamos por la liberación de los bettas! Las viva bettas

Posted 14 November 2011 - 05:38 PM

You make it sound easy lol. Can it be done in a 10gal full term or do you need a bigger growout? Ive been wanting to spawn my peppereds(im low on cory right now. only 3)

#3 titolatino1970

titolatino1970

Juvie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 09:06 PM

when are they for sale i want some lol :surprise:

#4 brianjim

brianjim

UltimateBettas Veteran

• 2,547 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 04:18 PM

You make it sound easy lol. Can it be done in a 10gal full term or do you need a bigger growout? Ive been wanting to spawn my peppereds(im low on cory right now. only 3)

It can be done in a 10g. Just make sure you have males and females. It usually is that easy. They are just albino Aeneus.

#5 Solitarianknight

Solitarianknight

• Members
  • 4,255 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 05:38 PM

ha, funny. My male was trying to coax my female into mating today. It got rather agressive, he kept biting her dorsal and pectral fins, i seperated them as she dosent have anny eggs ATM. Best of luck to you.

#6 amethyst

amethyst

Alpha Betta

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,137 posts
  • Betta Count:1
  • Total Fish Count:An ever-changing number
  • Referred By:Carmenellie
  • Statement:All is well, all is well, and all manner of things is well.

Posted 17 November 2011 - 01:55 AM

I have 3 emerald green cories, and I know that I have a female, because I've seen her eggs. Unfortunatly I know she's laid eggs because I saw another fish eating each one as it floated in front of her. I'm not sure of the genders of my other cories, though I assume that the other emerald green I had at the time is male - will a female lay eggs without a male present? Are they fertilized before laying, or after?. He's significantly smaller, anyway. Then I got a third emerald green who is even smaller, so I think I have two males and a female.

I also have 3 albinos, and I had three peppereds, but two of the peppereds died for no apparent reason, after living happily for months in the same tank, same conditions. I do intend to get some more peppereds, but at the moment I don't have any money. :( I'm waiting for all my juvies (swordtails, guppies, and platys) to get big enough to take to the pet store before I have the money or the space for new fishies.

#7 Maryanne

Maryanne

UltimateBettas Veteran

• 8,850 posts
  • Betta Count:Enough.
  • Total Fish Count:Many!
  • Referred By:google

Posted 17 November 2011 - 08:51 PM

Congrats! I bet they make cute babies :)

#8 brianjim

brianjim

UltimateBettas Veteran

• 2,547 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 04:50 PM

I have 3 emerald green cories, and I know that I have a female, because I've seen her eggs. Unfortunatly I know she's laid eggs because I saw another fish eating each one as it floated in front of her. I'm not sure of the genders of my other cories, though I assume that the other emerald green I had at the time is male - will a female lay eggs without a male present? Are they fertilized before laying, or after?. He's significantly smaller, anyway. Then I got a third emerald green who is even smaller, so I think I have two males and a female.

I also have 3 albinos, and I had three peppereds, but two of the peppereds died for no apparent reason, after living happily for months in the same tank, same conditions. I do intend to get some more peppereds, but at the moment I don't have any money. :( I'm waiting for all my juvies (swordtails, guppies, and platys) to get big enough to take to the pet store before I have the money or the space for new fishies.

Females are larger and wider. Look down on them and the males should look slim. Females will lay eggs without males, but they are unfertile. The eggs are very sticky and tough and are laid on plants or glass. They do not float around. You can actually pick the eggs off without harming them if you are careful. Your albinos may be emerald greens also and will breed together.

#9 Solitarianknight

Solitarianknight

• Members
  • 4,255 posts

Posted 19 November 2011 - 12:50 PM

Lol, Males tend too look like *T* and females more *()* :D. I got eggs, but they were eaten by the clown plec.

#10 TFUBetta's

TFUBetta's

Juvie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 170 posts
  • Betta Count:27
  • Total Fish Count:Bunches
  • Statement:Fish Therapy FTW

Posted 19 November 2011 - 01:51 PM

Hey mate did I miss what type you have the spawn of or was it not mentioned lol.. If not what type is it you have going? If its a type that I like I will also be wanting 10 or so whenever you have them up for sale and if you have enough extra of course.

#11 amethyst

amethyst

Alpha Betta

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,137 posts
  • Betta Count:1
  • Total Fish Count:An ever-changing number
  • Referred By:Carmenellie
  • Statement:All is well, all is well, and all manner of things is well.

Posted 20 November 2011 - 11:57 PM

Females are larger and wider. Look down on them and the males should look slim. Females will lay eggs without males, but they are unfertile. The eggs are very sticky and tough and are laid on plants or glass. They do not float around. You can actually pick the eggs off without harming them if you are careful. Your albinos may be emerald greens also and will breed together.

My albinos are much smaller than the emerald greens - 1.5" - 2" versus 2.75" - 3.5". They're about the same size as the peppereds. I'm pretty sure they're albino aeneus.

As for the floating eggs - I probably didn't word it well. The eggs weren't just floating around in the water. They were dropping through the water on a steady course to the bottom, near the edge of a platform. I'm sure they were Dora's eggs, because at the time the only other egg-layers in the tank were otocinclus, and the eggs were way to big for them. I didn't have my peppereds and albinos yet. I know they usually lay the eggs on plants and stuff, so I can only guess that she was on the platform, not aware that she was hanging over enough for the eggs to drop down. Anyway, one of my female guppies, who was quite large, was sitting a couple of inches from the bottom of the tank with her face in just the right spot to swallow them one by one as they fell. I was so caught up in watching my guppy eating the eggs that I didn't really look to see where Dora was. I saw her eat maybe 4 or 5 eggs. I'm assuming that any others that actually landed on the platform or something else and stuck must have also been eaten at some point, because I never had baby corys. Sigh.

#12 brianjim

brianjim

UltimateBettas Veteran

• 2,547 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 04:51 PM

Well didn't get a chance to get better shots of the eggs, but Only about half hatched. I don't know if I just moved them too soon or because they are albino and had a hard time seeing to fertilize them. I was trying to move them so I could try to breed the parents again since some of the females did not lay eggs. They are far from easy to catch at this age so they are staying put for now. I did get a few pics of the fry I caught. To get an idea of how small they are, the green floating plants are duckweed. With those barbels they are just cute!

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq