Egg

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts
  • Betta Count:1
  • Total Fish Count:2
  • Referred By:Google

Posted 08 November 2011 - 11:45 AM

I haven't been here is soo long, sorry if this question has been asked. Recently my "Spearhawk" died in his last 'bout of dropsy.. The guy survived 2 swim bladder infections and one dropsy, but didn't make the second! A little trooper.

Anyways, I work at PetSmart part-time and grew some interest in what they label as "Dragonscale", even though I know better and just had been calling them dragon plakats.

Well, I decided to pick up one yesterday at a different PetSmart. After watching him, I think he may be an imbellis instead of splendens. He is smaller, likes to nuzzle up against plants to "hide", very shy compared to the other bettas I've had. He will also not take food floating on the surface, instead waits for it to drop and then goes chasing after it. I also see him trying to forage in the rocks, also something I've never really seen other bettas do.

He does have the classic "masking" on the sides of his face, in the pink tint of my aquarium light the "dragon scales" look almost bronze.

He has just started to warm up enough to flare a bit, I will try my best to get a better picture then what I have. He's a fast little guy, doesn't stay still in one spot for too long, unless he's sleeping!

My question is: is there a way to tell the difference between imbellis and splendens based on their behavior? Or is it just up to the individual personality of the fish?

Here are a few bad pics from my iPhone, bad is better than none? I'll try ringer better ones later.
http://i3.photobucke...en/a5ed67aa.jpg
http://i3.photobucke...en/c5939f28.jpg
http://i3.photobucke...en/e775cdd8.jpg

It's possible he's a hybrid too? Aren't a lot of plakats mixed with imbellis?

Edited by demonlollipop, 08 November 2011 - 03:29 PM.

#2 brianjim

brianjim

UltimateBettas Veteran

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,547 posts
  • Betta Count:Lots and Lots
  • Total Fish Count:Even more
  • Referred By:myself
  • Statement:It's all fun and games till someone puts their eye out.

Posted 08 November 2011 - 03:45 PM

I have not heard of any dragon scale Imbellis.

#3 Solitarianknight

Solitarianknight

Formerly known as dimidiata

• Members
  • 4,255 posts
  • Betta Count:2
  • Total Fish Count:many
  • Referred By:the gravitational force that shrouds UB
  • Statement:luchamos por la liberación de los bettas! Las viva bettas

Posted 08 November 2011 - 04:32 PM

From what i know imbellis can be told just by general color and fin shape. Its possible for a hybrid but i dont think imbellis alone can be dragonscaled.

#4 demonlollipop

demonlollipop

Egg

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 06:30 PM

I guess I should definitely get better pics. At the store, all the short finned Bettas are calle dragonscale, regardless if they are fully dragon or not. I've seen pics of Imbellis where the shiniest part of the fish is his gill plates, and in between his scales is shiny color, which is how my boy is more like.

Just curious to find more info on them.

#5 Solitarianknight

Solitarianknight

Formerly known as dimidiata

• Members
  • 4,255 posts
  • Total Fish Count:many
  • Referred By:the gravitational force that shrouds UB
  • Statement:luchamos por la liberación de los bettas! Las viva bettas

Posted 08 November 2011 - 06:32 PM

I know they crossed imbellis and our common Betta's to make the iridescent colors.

#6 majerah

majerah

Wild Betta Tamer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,265 posts
  • Betta Count:lotz and lotz
  • Total Fish Count:27 ish.
  • Statement:"O holy one, cast thy purifying light upon this corrupt soul... Rest in peace, sinners! Judgment!"

Posted 08 November 2011 - 06:37 PM

They will be a little more slender looking and stuff.Would help with a pic for sure.personality alone isnt a way to determine species,as even a nice halfmoon could be docile.

#7 demonlollipop

demonlollipop

Egg

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 08:16 PM

Alright! I managed to get him to stay still for a picture. The flash washes out some of the actual color; his iridescence does has some yellowish-green in it, but it looks bronze here. But this should give you guys a better understanding of his body type and general color. The more I look at him the more I think he's probably not completely imbellis (as most petstore fish aren't ever "full bred" anyways), but he does seem different than the other betta I've seen. Even when comparing to HMPK's, he doesn't really look like them.

I have seen him flare a little bit at his reflection on the side of the tank, but he doesn't do it very often. I still have to manage to find a mirror around my house to use for this purpose.

Anyways here he is:

Posted Image

Currently his name is Simargl.. but that may change in the future. ^-^

To compare sizes.. the snail is only about an inch long.

#8 majerah

majerah

Wild Betta Tamer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,265 posts
  • Betta Count:lotz and lotz
  • Total Fish Count:27 ish.
  • Statement:"O holy one, cast thy purifying light upon this corrupt soul... Rest in peace, sinners! Judgment!"

Posted 08 November 2011 - 09:20 PM

Its hard to say.The body shape seems pretty spot on,being slender.The color is off though,he should be more of a blueish color.Could definatly have imbellis in his strain though.

#9 LouisaMaeBrown

LouisaMaeBrown

UltimateBettas Veteran

• Elite Member
  • 7,745 posts
  • Betta Count:Ever changing :)
  • Referred By:internet search
  • Statement:I am NOT addicted!.... okay, maybe I am, a little.

Posted 08 November 2011 - 09:25 PM

I think he's a young splendens or splendens hybrid. Imbellis should have blue or green gill plates. I think he's a copper or copper based dragon.

Very pretty though. :)

Edited by LouisaMaeBrown, 08 November 2011 - 09:26 PM.

#10 demonlollipop

demonlollipop

Egg

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 09:37 PM

Thanks guys! I'm thinking he may have some Imbellis in him as well, but not fully. His dorsal fin is also not as full as most Imbellis pictures I've come across... on the other hand I do hope that he is YOUNG.. so he'll live longer than the big guys you sometimes see in stores! If it's just that he is young, hopefully he'll fill out a bit and be prettier than he already is.

I still think it's so funny how he tries to forage in the rocks!

#11 matrix_movement

matrix_movement

Egg

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts
  • Referred By:self

Posted 05 May 2012 - 02:01 AM

demonlollipop, He's a Hybrid.. A Hybrid is a blended breed between the regular plakat and a wild betta such as smaragdina or imbellis

--Matrix_Movement

#12 Eratic-Fish-Finatic

Eratic-Fish-Finatic

Betta FINatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 206 posts
  • Total Fish Count:30
  • Referred By:Google search engine
  • Statement:Canadian bacon isn't a real thing, here in Canada, it's ham cut from the lower back. Food facts!

Posted 07 May 2012 - 01:41 AM

Looks like a copper smaragdina Plakat hybrid to me, it's body shape and fins are very smaragdina-ish. Here's what I mean, the three pictures below are of my smaragdina bettas, all are young and around 1.5 inches. The 1st pic is my blue green smaragdina, the 2nd pic is my blue guitar smaragdina and the 3rd pic is my gold base copper smaragdina.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

This 4th pic is my blue green imbellis, to show you the comparison to the smaragdina. He's actually younger than my smaragdina, measuring 1 inch exactly.

Posted Image

I also have a giant imbellis Plakat fighter, I'll post pics of him tomorrow to show you what a imbellis Plakat hybrid is suspose to look like.

Edited by Eratic-Fish-Finatic, 07 May 2012 - 01:58 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq