#1 jade10025

jade10025

Egg

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Betta Count:8

Posted 19 October 2011 - 02:37 AM

Ive had my crowntail beta for about 6 months. He has been growing tumors recently and its stretching out his skin. I am scared it may rip his skin open. I dont know how to treat it. They have been growing quite fast this last week. Do vets treat fish? Has anyone had a similar problem? Also, how do I know if he is miserable and needs to be euthanized, though I hope it wont come to that. He is very young, he wasnt full grown when i got him. Also, he has a albino torso, with a burgundy head and tail and fins. I dont know if that has anything to do with it, but it is a genetic difference, so there may be a link. Thanks for any help offered..

#2 Solitarianknight

Solitarianknight

Formerly known as dimidiata

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,255 posts
  • Betta Count:2
  • Total Fish Count:many
  • Referred By:the gravitational force that shrouds UB
  • Statement:luchamos por la liberación de los bettas! Las viva bettas

Posted 19 October 2011 - 04:10 AM

Please help us by filling out this form.

SYMPTOMS
Appearance Changes:
Behavior Changes:
Eating Habits:
Other:

WATER STATS
Ammonia:
Nitrate:
Nitrite:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:
Time you noticed the illness:

TANK
Size:
Temp:
Filtration/Aeration:

HUSBANDRY PRACTICES
Frequency of Tank Cleaning:
Water Additives:
Feeding (food type/frequency):
Tank Mates:

TREATMENT
Any treatment so far and when:

HISTORY
List any past health problems:

Edited by dimidiata, 19 October 2011 - 04:11 AM.

#3 Maryanne

Maryanne

UltimateBettas Veteran

• 8,850 posts
  • Betta Count:Enough.
  • Total Fish Count:Many!
  • Referred By:google

Posted 19 October 2011 - 07:33 AM

Is the tumor forming on the surface of the fish, or below so that it is pushing out the scales?

#4 Solitarianknight

Solitarianknight

Formerly known as dimidiata

• Members
  • 4,255 posts
  • Betta Count:2
  • Total Fish Count:many
  • Referred By:the gravitational force that shrouds UB
  • Statement:luchamos por la liberación de los bettas! Las viva bettas

Posted 19 October 2011 - 11:02 AM

Im very intrested here because theres a memebr on a dif site thats having atumor issue where the tumor is pushing the scales and expanding them.

#5 jade10025

jade10025

Egg

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 19 October 2011 - 02:17 PM

SYMPTOMS
Appearance Changes: top fin round growth pushing out scales, yesterday i noticed a red spot and thought maybe the tumor cracked the skin, but im not sure. tail tumor started on left side as raised scales, slowly got bigger, the quicly ha pushed out scales, gotten darker in color, and no is showing on the right side as well. small bubble like spots are in the same area on both sides.
Behavior Changes: Less swimming. more lathargic. last night it looked like he was having a hard time swallowing his food. though i dont really pay attention to how they eat once i feed them so it could be a normal way they eat.
Eating Habits: Eating hasnt changed. still excited for food.
Other:

WATER STATS
Ammonia:unknown
Nitrate:unknown
Nitrite:unknown
pH:unknown
Hardness:unknown
Alkalinity:unknown

How do you check the above things?

Time you noticed the illness: Suspected a couple months ago, about a month ago was concerned, a couple weeks ago I was sure they were tumors and have been trying to figure out what to do.

TANK
Size: 6 gallon
Temp:try to keep between 70 and 80, but recently on the cool side, like 68 to 72. heating up house should help.
Filtration/Aeration: filter, slow and little current

HUSBANDRY PRACTICES
Frequency of Tank Cleaning: tank appears clean, refill water as it evaporates
Water Additives: conditioner
Feeding (food type/frequency): bloodworms, frozen, 1 time at night
Tank Mates: none, unless betta plants count

TREATMENT
Any treatment so far and when: none. I dont know what to do and at first i thought it was just odd scales because of the albion streek.

HISTORY
List any past health problems: none that im aware of. hes a happy friendly fish.

#6 jade10025

jade10025

Egg

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 19 October 2011 - 02:18 PM

I have pictures if i can get them loaded up I will.

#7 WigglePuppy

WigglePuppy

Alpha Betta

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,224 posts
  • Betta Count:5
  • Total Fish Count:enough....I think

Posted 19 October 2011 - 02:42 PM

you don't do waterchanges..... ??!

#8 Etcetera

Etcetera

Alpha Betta

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,318 posts
  • Betta Count:6
  • Statement:It is much easier to be critical than it is to be correct.

Posted 19 October 2011 - 04:43 PM

Sounds less like tumors and more like infected lesions--please do post pictures.

If you do not have a test kit, get a sample of water (about a cup) and put it in a plastic bag or some clean tupperware and take that to your local pet/fish store. They will test the parameters for free, and this way you will know beyond a doubt what your fish has really been exposed to and whether this is truly the root of the problem. From the sound of it, it probably is.

The most important thing right now is to make sure the fish is in -clean- water.

I would initiate a large water change--remove the fish and put him in a temporary container, like the cup he came home in. Take the temperature of the water, then drain the tank. Get as much of that old dirty water out as possible--stir the gravel beforehand if you don't have a gravel vac, this way you'll get as much debris as possible. Refill the tank with water that's the same temperature as what you've taken out. Add dechlorinator and allow a few minutes for the it to take effect and for the nitrogen to outgas a bit. If you have some kosher salt or aquarium salt (NOT iodized table salt, marine salt, or sea salt), measure out 1 tbsp and dissolve it in a separate cup of tank water, then add it to the tank. The salt should encourage healing in the open wounds and discourage the growth of further infection.

Now you can start slowly acclimating your fish to the new water. Every few minutes, empty a tiny bit of water from the fish's container and add some of the newly changed tank water. Do this over the course of 30-45 minutes, and then add your fish.

#9 jade10025

jade10025

Egg

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 19 October 2011 - 11:40 PM

I know I sound like a total moron, between apparently not taking proper care of my fish and not knowing really how to use a forum, but could someone tell me how to upload a picture? The insert image link wants a url code and i need to upload from my hard drive...

#10 jade10025

jade10025

Egg

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 20 October 2011 - 12:18 AM

did a full tank clean. took out all river rocks. saw the grossness that is under them. will never listen to pet store people who say it is good to not change out water completely to keep bacteria in tank because it is good for the fish. so he is now in a empty tank with clean water. where do i get the salt to help heal him?

#11 jade10025

jade10025

Egg

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 20 October 2011 - 04:47 AM

think I figured out pictures....
This is jasper last night before i cleaned out his tank and gave him fresh water.

http://i580.photobuc...e10025/1872.jpg
http://i580.photobuc...e10025/1871.jpg
http://i580.photobuc...e10025/1849.jpg
http://i580.photobuc...e10025/1836.jpg
http://i580.photobuc...e10025/1873.jpg

#12 Synirr

Synirr

Sanity and happiness are an impossible combination.

• Root Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,904 posts
  • Betta Count:Some
  • Total Fish Count:Lots

Posted 20 October 2011 - 10:30 AM

Those do look like tumors, I'm sorry to say. The white, highly metallic color blotch on him is not normal coloration, and those blotches seem to be prone to forming tumors. Nelson posted a topic a while back about her fish that had the same issue, with photos of the progression. Unfortunately I don't think there is anything that can be done about it, just take care of him and keep him comfortable for as long as you can. :confused:

There is such a thing as beneficial bacteria, and it is very important to maintaining a healthy cycled aquarium. These bacteria process out harmful ammonia and nitrites, but your aquarium will still be left with nitrates, which must be removed via regular waterchanges. This website explains things in more detail, but essentially, most of the bacteria live on porous surfaces like your filter media and substrate, so doing regular waterchanges will not disrupt them too much.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq