Photo

Why are more eople around me getting fish, sigh.

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 C M

C M

Advocate for the underdogs of pet rescue

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,347 posts
  • Betta Count:Three
  • Total Fish Count:Three

Posted 15 October 2011 - 02:00 AM

A family member came to me and told me another family member now has a setup with several fish, one of them being a Betta. I have no idea if they are together or not, or even what size of tank/container they are being housed in. I think they have at least one Pleco. I know they haven't cycled the tank, because tanks don't cycle in just a few days' time. Of course I'm going to do my best to educate them, hoping they actually listen. I just feel so frustrated that it seems like more and more people around me are getting animals (usually fish) without doing any kind of research first. Not even reading books on them, though most books on anything other than dogs and cats usually contain a lot of outdated and sometimes downright harmful information. It's incredibly stressful and draining, and the animals are the ones that suffer of course. Please keep your fingers crossed the family member(s) in question will take my advice.

#2 glasshaven

glasshaven

Halfmoon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 763 posts
  • Betta Count:20+
  • Total Fish Count:LOL
  • Referred By:Google/Facebook

Posted 15 October 2011 - 06:24 PM

I think the more correctly educated a person becomes about anything, the more they can see when it comes to others errors.

It's sad, frustrating, and a delicate balance on how to handle the issues to help better the animal overall.

#3 C M

C M

Advocate for the underdogs of pet rescue

• Members
  • 1,347 posts
  • Betta Count:Three
  • Total Fish Count:Three

Posted 17 October 2011 - 01:29 AM

The most frustrating thing is with the people I know it always seems to be one step forward and two steps back. After I've helped someone and they're doing good on it for awhile, I start noticing they lapse again and I wonder why I even tried. I'm trying to setup a time to go over there. I'm not entirely sure how to get on the discussion about the fish; I don't want to seem pushy.

Edited by C M, 17 October 2011 - 01:29 AM.

#4 majerah

majerah

Wild Betta Tamer

• 2,262 posts
  • Betta Count:lotz and lotz
  • Total Fish Count:27 ish.
  • Statement:"O holy one, cast thy purifying light upon this corrupt soul... Rest in peace, sinners! Judgment!"

Posted 17 October 2011 - 10:46 AM

Ask my neighbor.Im pushy.I told them not to get a dragon goby and they did,the day they set the tank up.Then followed five mollies five neons one glolight five black skirt tetras.In a 29 gallon.They asked for a betta,I laughed as I walked out the house.

#5 austintgraf

austintgraf

Egg

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 04:47 PM

Ah this is sad. I research animals like crazy before I buy or adopt.

#6 LilGreenPuffer

LilGreenPuffer

Yeah, I'm "that girl with the fish."

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,006 posts
  • Betta Count:1
  • Total Fish Count:4
  • Referred By:Google
  • Statement:My mission is to make your day a little more surreal.

Posted 02 November 2011 - 06:33 PM

Heh, sometimes research and education still doesn't do it. I'm pretty pissed (trying to let it go; I've done all I can) with one of my friends right now. I helped her set up a 10g with filter, heater, etc. for a single betta, who lived a long and happy life. After he died, she gave the tank away. A year later, she got a bowl with a tiny pleco and some, I don't know, glowlights or something. I think they're all dead now, after just a couple of months. I don't ask.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq