sde09001

Crowntail

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 573 posts
  • Betta Count:4
  • Total Fish Count:25

Posted 04 October 2011 - 08:40 AM

I've formed somewhat of an obsession with these fish lately. I know they are live bears, so sexing won't be an issue, and I'm aware that most people consider them brackish fish but the text book I've been reading lately lists them as freshwater migrating into brackish water to breed. I want to breed them so I'll periodically give them brackish water, but my problem is telling if they are "left handed" or "right handed". I know I have to match up their mating styles to get them to breed (left to left or right to right) but how do you tell if they are lefties or righties? I'm assuming with the male just see what side he goes up to, but how on a female and how if they aren't trying to mate as you're watching them in the store?

#2 WigglePuppy

WigglePuppy

Alpha Betta

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,209 posts
  • Betta Count:5
  • Total Fish Count:enough....I think

Posted 04 October 2011 - 11:28 AM

As far as I know, you can't tell on the female. But as you said, you can observe males to see what side they go to.

#3 sde09001

sde09001

Crowntail

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 573 posts
  • Betta Count:4
  • Total Fish Count:25

Posted 04 October 2011 - 07:20 PM

hmmm, damn. I guess it'll just be guessing on females then. I guess the best bet would be one right handed and one left handed male and then two females so I know I have at least one pair.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq