Stars

Sushi is delicious.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,235 posts
  • Betta Count:Hamlet
  • Total Fish Count:1
  • Referred By:Aquarank
  • Statement:I see no evil, hear no evil, speak no evil.

Posted 26 September 2011 - 05:27 PM

This is a topic that always kind of *screwed* with me. Being a devoted goldfish dork, I always striven for bigger the better when it comes to goldies. But often, I see feeders, not in ideal conditions but in conditions that they can get by on. I met a lot of new buds at University, one of them has a 10 gallon with 3 feeders comets. She had them for about 2 years now, its got some plants that are growing pretty well and a filter rated for 20 gallons she got off kijiji for 10 bucks. Other one has a 4" Shubukin in a 5 gallon with a filter rated for 10 gallons and some plants that she got from the other girl.

In a goldfish lovers mind, 10 gallons, 3 fish that can get 12 inches easily with a filter rated for only 20 gallons!? A 75 gallon is the the only appropriate size for these fish... BUT on the other hand..

who can actually just magically pop up a 75 gallon with expensive filtration? A 75 gallon takes massive amount of room, its a expensive tank to not only to purchase but maintain. There is no chance a college student can afford one, so the only possible thing I can say is: find them a new home.

But, honestly, to find appropriate homes for feeder comets that you can get 20 for $1 at Pet smart is... nearly impossible. The only people that ask are looking for free snake food.

So quite frankly, they might be lucky to not have end up in a 1 gallon bowl and left to rot. Yes, stunting does occur, the 3 comets my friend has grows super slow and its only 3.5" at 2 years old. A comet in my grandma's pond would be 6" at least. But, extreme stunting where their organs are super massive and they actually die from it are unlikely unless the space is extremely small, the fish is somehow getting lots of nutrition and not dieing from ammonia burns.

I mean, sometimes when I walk by the tiny 5 gallon packed with 100+ feeders squirming, I feel like the few that end up as pets with at least a liveable tank is actually quite lucky. I have stopped 'whining' about 10 gallons and just let them be. I can offer to tell them about plants that soak up more nitrate and better foods but aside from that, nothing else I can say. What do you guys feel about feeders and their fates? I feel its quite unfair but they are so simple to breed, very easy to rear and sadly, too many and disposable.

Posted Image

#2 Nelson

Nelson

"Happiness is a hand full of salamanders" -Palor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,843 posts
  • Betta Count:7
  • Total Fish Count:8
  • Referred By:SupersonicMuffin/Limefox

Posted 26 September 2011 - 05:53 PM

But, honestly, to find appropriate homes for feeder comets that you can get 20 for $1 at Pet smart is... nearly impossible. The only people that ask are looking for free snake food.

This is exactly why I want to run a goldfish rescue. I'm moving into a house soon and will be setting up a pond god willing. Nuthin' but rescue comets and commons gonna go in there. Possibly some adopted koi but I'd rather stick with goldies.

#3 bigfishlittlefish

bigfishlittlefish

Juvie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 166 posts
  • Betta Count:3
  • Total Fish Count:7 and snail.

Posted 26 September 2011 - 06:17 PM

They are usually sick and diseased too... so even if someone does come along and save one they may not live anyways......

we have a feeder in our goldfish tank... a little brown fantail... he was actually put into a bigger fishes tank at the pet store and the big fish didnt eat him so someone came along and threw him in the next tank which was full of fancy goldfish that were huge. when my son went to the shop to get a couple of fancy fish for his tank he chose the uncoloured little one and we got told the whole story of it was suppose to be eaten and now it was in the wrong tank...blah blah blah... of course we defiantly wanted to buy it then because it was the only feeder left and its fate was to go back into the big fish tank later in the day...
his name is now lucky... Lucky we got there that day :)

being cheap fish they usually arn't housed very well in pet shops and fate is to be fed to other fish.... i feel sorry for them but cant save them all... the more you buy the more they will be replaced with more fish.
basically here... anything un coloured or excess stock becomes feeders. and are sold as feeders. so they can be anything from goldfish , un coloured fantails, platties, mollies, guppies, rosie barbs etc.... they are the ones i have seen.

#4 glasshaven

glasshaven

Halfmoon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 763 posts
  • Betta Count:20+
  • Total Fish Count:LOL
  • Referred By:Google/Facebook

Posted 26 September 2011 - 06:18 PM

I've always thought of the term 'feeders' as size- not *just* what it defines. Responsibility belongs to the beholder- many impulse buys to stock a small tank are made because of the initial cost, which is sad.

We've had problems in the past, in our communtiy lake, with people catching 3 lb+ "goldfish" (they make the newspaper) that have been released there.

#5 bigfishlittlefish

bigfishlittlefish

Juvie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 166 posts
  • Betta Count:3
  • Total Fish Count:7 and snail.

Posted 27 September 2011 - 07:35 AM

this is my "feeder" goldfish 'Lucky'.... he is fantail and lives with a black moore fantail , a ryukin fantail and a oranda fantail...
Posted Image

he's the smallest and a cute little fish... if only i could take ALL feeders home like little Lucky.

#6 KeithP

KeithP

Juvie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 166 posts
  • Betta Count:1
  • Referred By:none

Posted 31 January 2012 - 08:34 PM

If stocked in a pond these guys get to a foot long and are impressive to watch! Add the variety of colors and i'm surprised people dont keep these in 100 gallon tanks instead of the huge tropical fish that are harder to house and eat live prey.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq