what you lookin at? :P

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 468 posts
  • Betta Count:1
  • Total Fish Count:1 Betta
  • Referred By:aqua rank

Posted 21 December 2006 - 10:33 PM

Names: channel catfish (Ictalurus punctatus)
Area of origin: throughout USA
Min/Max Tank Size: should be kept in a pond unless if you have a HUGE tank(135 gallons per fish).
Suggested Care Level: very easy!!
Water conditions: you should probably only keep these in a pond around the areas where they are native. Also a good pH for them would be anywhere between 6.6-7.4 and a good temp would be anywhere between 50-74 F
Diet: They will eat just about anything but there are pellet foods made for them which will suite their dietary needs
Temperment: They are little piranhas!! lol they are fun to watch them feed. Also one downfall is they are more active at night.
Suggested tank mates: They have been recorded over 4 feet in length!! And will eat anything!!....should only be with other channel catfish reallyÖ
Personal observations, Advice: They like a lot of places to hide under so some dogwood for them would be great. And they are gravel diggers so make sure your plants are ok with that. They donít like a lot of sunlight since in the wild they tend to stay out of it so low lighting is also preferred. And donít go out to a lake and catch one to own!! Thatís illegalÖ.just get one from an aquatic store or a catfish farm.

#2 Captain Spaulding II

Captain Spaulding II

Egg

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 20 February 2008 - 12:03 AM

I always seem to see these for sale at Petcos. I feel bad both for the catfish and the owners who bring home these behemoths. Short of having a pond in your yard, I can't see how you could keep this species.

-Jim

#3 Lui

Lui

UltimateBettas Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,036 posts
  • Betta Count:6
  • Total Fish Count:6
  • Referred By:google.com
  • Statement:collecting money to buy new fish tanks, ect

Posted 22 March 2010 - 09:18 PM

T^T we accidentally bought one of these buggers without knowing what he was. the girl just told us he would get big, we never imagined little NurrCat would get to be bigger than me, possibly!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq