28 replies to this topic

#13 Wiilio

Wiilio

Egg

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 25 September 2011 - 10:30 PM

The anubias and the hairgrass alone set me back $25. I'm your typical broke college student; I need cheap options. I had to save up quite a while to get all of the gear for this tank. More plants is pretty much out of the question.

#14 Stormphyre

Stormphyre

UltimateBettas Veteran

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,117 posts
  • Betta Count:1
  • Referred By:Snow

Posted 25 September 2011 - 10:35 PM

Honestly, I'm your typical broke college student too. Get some cheap silks for now? Or wait till the frogbit grows in. Keep your eye on the Trading Post and the new RAOK thread and see if any plants pop up that might interest you. There's also one on PT.net.

#15 Wiilio

Wiilio

Egg

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 26 September 2011 - 09:04 AM

Well the fish gets here on Wednesday. The best I can do is put some Mondo grass in there that I've had growing in a cup for awhile until I can find something better, or take out one of my Java ferns from my 10 gallon. But they've already rooted into the gravel...

As for the old plant I removed... I get back Sunday, take it out of the tank, put it in the cup with the Mondo grass. I wake up the next morning, and it's shriveled up, dead. I think it was aquatic.

#16 Stormphyre

Stormphyre

UltimateBettas Veteran

• 4,117 posts

Posted 26 September 2011 - 09:15 AM

Might be a riparium plant, and likes to be near/partially in water, but not fully submerged. Or could be shocked.
You could put a ceramic cup or something in until the plants start to grow in, and then take it out later on. Just as something temporary that gives him something more to hide behind. There's some Taiwan moss in the RAOK up for grabs (it's in the trading post area) that might interest you too.

#17 Harlequin

Harlequin

Novice

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 951 posts
  • Betta Count:None
  • Total Fish Count:0
  • Referred By:Google

Posted 26 September 2011 - 10:22 AM

The idea of a display tank is nice, but if you want to show off the betta, you want to show off a healthy and happy betta, right?
I think a piece of driftwood, or a gray-scale rock would be a very nice addition to the tank. The gray color wouldn't cause the eye to drift towards it, and it would make your future betta MUCH happier.

Bettas, or any prey animal really, doesn't like to be the center of attention because that makes them more open to predators. That stress could make the fish sick. If you want to highlight your fish, the health and happiness should be a part of that as well.

#18 Wiilio

Wiilio

Egg

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 26 September 2011 - 12:24 PM

The only option I have now is to put my smaller fan-shaped Java fern in there. If that won't work, I'll need to save up before I can get something else.

Added 2 Java ferns
Posted Image
There's actually a nice little cavity behind the one on the right.

Edited by Wiilio, 26 September 2011 - 12:37 PM.

#19 VelvetDragon

VelvetDragon

we build the wall to keep us free

• Administrator
  • 5,871 posts
  • Referred By:haley
  • Statement:I believe -- I believe -- everyday's a good day when you paint

Posted 27 September 2011 - 04:10 PM

Honestly, though it's nice to want to show off your fish, the fish has to come first. It is a living, feeling creature, not just a piece of art.

If you boil the driftwood for a long while first, or soak it a few weeks, and keep up with water changes, your water will not turn yellow. There is some beautiful driftwood that will look pretty much black when submerged and look great in your tank. Black or grey rocks are cheap as free, and another option.

The plant you had was definitely not aquatic. But plants go into shock with sudden changes as well.

I think your tank is looking much better with the java ferns in there. :)
  • Susurro likes this

#20 Wiilio

Wiilio

Egg

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 28 September 2011 - 06:46 AM

Something like this WOULD happen to me on the day that the fish arrives.

The fish will be here at noon today. However, I just tested the water this morning... Mini cycle -_- I'm pretty sure it happened when I took out the three shrimp and put in two baby snails (one will eventually be taken out). I know some people would just plop the fish right in anyway, but I'm going to play it safe ($67 total on this fish... I'm going to make sure it's done right). So for now, I have put my old betta in this tank until the mini cycle is over. I'd rather put a healthy fish into that tank than one that's come overseas.

The thing is, I have pretty bad luck with mini cycles... I've had many last for weeks. One even lasted a month. Hopefully this one will be short.

#21 Stormphyre

Stormphyre

UltimateBettas Veteran

• 4,117 posts

Posted 28 September 2011 - 07:53 AM

Generally, cycling takes like a month. Why not avoid stressing both fish, put them into temporary homes, and do a proper fishless cycle? Instructions here: http://www.ultimateb...?showtopic=8199 I don't think it's quite fair to make one suffer through cycling simply because not as much money was spent on it :/ Pull out a large tuppaware and put the heater in it, or smaller one and float it in the current fish's tank so it remains the same temp, but they're not in contact.
How long have you had this tank set up?

#22 Wiilio

Wiilio

Egg

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 28 September 2011 - 08:19 AM

The tank was already cycled. It's been up for a month and a half. I know it's not fair. I didn't plan on this. This tank completed its cycle a month and two days after I set it up.

It's not a question of which one costed more. It's a question of which one's healthier. One that I've had for two months in my 10 gallon is healthier than one that has been through shipping for the past two days. In other words, while it's not fair, it's better that my current fish be in the smaller tank than the one that is definitely stressed, and probably injured.

This isn't my first rodeo; I've kept plenty of fish before. I'll be careful to monitor the situation. My API test kit is on hand; I'll be doing tests probably twice a day until the mini cycle is over.

#23 Solitarianknight

Solitarianknight

Formerly known as dimidiata

• Members
  • 4,253 posts
  • Betta Count:2
  • Total Fish Count:many
  • Referred By:the gravitational force that shrouds UB
  • Statement:luchamos por la liberación de los bettas! Las viva bettas

Posted 28 September 2011 - 01:49 PM

Divide the tengal, why not? And a healthy fish in a minicycle can die just as quick if you get a big amonia spike.

#24 Wiilio

Wiilio

Egg

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 28 September 2011 - 02:07 PM

Ahhhh... now THERE'S a good idea. Is there something I can do that with besides a divider? Something I might be able to find around a college campus? Ha.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq