Maryanne

UltimateBettas Veteran

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,850 posts
  • Betta Count:Enough.
  • Total Fish Count:Many!
  • Referred By:google

Posted 07 September 2011 - 07:09 PM

I have been charged with shipping a bunch of angels and rams from Pittsburgh to Seattle. The most important of which is an Altum. Apparently they are all 5" or less.

I picked up 5.5" x 8" Kordon breather bags. From what I read, these should be the least stressful and wouldn't require me to first take them to a pet store to get oxygen pumped into the bags. Does anyone have experience with these bags? Would they be suitable for angels? We're planning on air mailing them overnight. I was planning on lining the box with styrofoam, and packing around the bags with packing peanuts to allow more airflow.

I also need some pointers on how to successfully acclimated them once they are here. They are going to be moved to my house and once Catherine is settled in Seattle, I am going to ship them out. I have never had angels before (or the rams that are coming with), and would appreciate any pointers. Especially when it comes to water chemistry! I would feel horrible if they got here and died before I could send them out.

I assume food wise they would be glad to eat frozen brine shrimp, bloodworms and tubiflex worms like the rest of the tank.

#2 Solitarianknight

Solitarianknight

Formerly known as dimidiata

• Members
  • 4,253 posts
  • Betta Count:2
  • Total Fish Count:many
  • Referred By:the gravitational force that shrouds UB
  • Statement:luchamos por la liberación de los bettas! Las viva bettas

Posted 07 September 2011 - 07:31 PM

All i can say is that yeah, food wise they like protein frozens perfect and as far as angles are concerned dont let them pair off or eat any on the smaller fish(has to be like neon small though). I personaly trust kordon for many things, havnt seen their bags yet but i give the brand a great rating. Good luck and have fun.

#3 Hippiechick

Hippiechick

The Glitter Queen

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,940 posts
  • Betta Count:1
  • Total Fish Count:50 +++ got more now!
  • Referred By:BettaMomma and Chris
  • Statement:"Time to nut up or shut up!" Tallahassee, Zombieland...

Posted 08 September 2011 - 08:38 AM

Acclimate them as you would any other fish. They are going to be stressed out from being shipped and the only suggestion I have for that would be if they were going into a tank, just them, already cycled, I would add a pinch of salt or Stress coat to help soothe them. I take it they are going into an already established tank with other fish? What else is in that tank? How long are you going to be keeping them before reshipping them on to their next destination?

Food wise, yea, they'll eat the bbs and bloodworms, no problem. How big are they?

#4 Maryanne

Maryanne

UltimateBettas Veteran

• 8,850 posts
  • Betta Count:Enough.
  • Total Fish Count:Many!
  • Referred By:google

Posted 08 September 2011 - 09:49 AM

So Catherine has a 72 gallon tank that houses the angels and some rams right now. They are about silver dollar sized. She has to be moved in by the beginning of October, so I would have them for a couple of weeks before shipping them. Since I don't keep any tanks that are the right size for angles that isn't currently occupied by aggressive fish, I am going to pick up some of her spare tanks to house the angels.

#5 fnesr

fnesr

Beer-a-cuda

• Retired Moderator
  • 2,663 posts
  • Betta Count:highly depleted.
  • Total Fish Count:Some.
  • Referred By:my wits.
  • Statement:I ate my statement.

Posted 09 September 2011 - 04:26 AM

I'd use some of her current substrate to seed the tanks you are putting them in (bundle in a stocking and hang in tank or use as actual substrate) and use a cycled filter (and water if an option). Consider running more heat at medicinal level to acclimatise in (say 80-82f) and use normal technique for introduction. Rams would enjoy more substantial food imo, I would crush small cichlid pellets (put on hard surface and grind pellet/s with a sauce bottle or something similar into small manageable chunks, but not to powder). Prior to ship I would wind back temp a bit slowly in days prior and aerate water heavily with air pump/s directly prior to bagging providing transit is not overly long (sorry have zero American geography knowledge). Wouldn't feed day or two at least before shipping also (they wont starve and can go weeks without food when required), doing so will not only reduce waste in terms of maintaining water chemistry in the bag but will also help in reducing energy expelled by fish due to slowing down of their metabolism. Less waste in bag also equates to less oxygen lost in processing the waste.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq