Irchin

Crowntail

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 592 posts
  • Betta Count:2,000 (ish)
  • Total Fish Count:Over 2,000
  • Referred By:Andy Partin
  • Statement:I'm not perfect nor do I want to be, look what they did to the last guy!

Posted 05 September 2011 - 06:30 PM

Someone recently claimed that half of my Bettas are deformed. That post has been closed so I think your opinion would count in this manner. The following pictures are some of my third and fourth generation Bettas bred and raised from parents originally bought at Petco or Wal-mart. Most of these have been sold on Aquabid or to members on this and other forums. Maybe it's just me and I have a good eye for it or maybe breeding (the right) petstore Bettas isn't all that bad, but that's up to you to decide. Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted ImagePosted Image That's just a few of them, Now I ask you do they look deformed to you?
  • Spitfire Betta likes this

#2 LilGreenPuffer

LilGreenPuffer

Yeah, I'm "that girl with the fish."

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,006 posts
  • Betta Count:1
  • Total Fish Count:4
  • Referred By:Google
  • Statement:My mission is to make your day a little more surreal.

Posted 05 September 2011 - 06:35 PM

Did you breed the fish in your avatar?
  • VelvetDragon and Flashygrrl like this

#3 LilGreenPuffer

LilGreenPuffer

• Members
  • 7,006 posts

Posted 05 September 2011 - 06:45 PM

Look, I'm no expert, but I'm looking at this thread (http://www.ultimateb...pic=55275&st=96), post #105, and those DTs look seriously messed-up to me. I know that's not half your fish, but most people wouldn't even consider selling those fish; they'd be culled or given away.
  • Saucy, RandomWiktor, VelvetDragon and 1 other like this

#4 RandomWiktor

RandomWiktor

I put the "fun" in fundamentalist!

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,485 posts
  • Betta Count:8
  • Total Fish Count:Between several and many.
  • Referred By:I was sucked in by UB's gravitational force.
  • Statement:We weep for a bird's cry but not for a fish's blood; blessed are those with a voice.

Posted 05 September 2011 - 06:58 PM

In my honest opinion? Many of your fish have attractive colors and appear very healthy. I can see why someone who isn't breeding and buying fish to show, or who breeds more as a hobby and to explore various color variants than for specific genetic standards is happy to buy them. They're pretty. My main criticism of them is that many have more arched backs than I would consider desirable. I am no IBC judge; I'm sure some of our members who are would be happy to assess your fish if it is really what you want. However, the tone of this post seems more antagonistic than genuinely seeking a critique.

You have persistently had a chip on your shoulder about the forum culture's general stance on breeding pet store bettas, and if that perspective truly bothers you so much that you can't restrain yourself from constantly commenting aggressively on it, I'm not sure you are in the right place. I can not think of a single responsible animal keeping community that advocates the breeding of pet store or otherwise mass produced stock. It simply isn't considered a responsible breeding practice, be it breeding dogs, chickens, mice, or fish. I assure you that you would hear much of the same if you went on a serious cichlid keeper forum and said you were planning to breed and sell the offspring of say, a batch of "assorted african cichlids" bought at a pet store.
  • Synirr, VelvetDragon, Julee and 6 others like this

#5 VelvetDragon

VelvetDragon

we build the wall to keep us free

• Administrator
  • 5,871 posts
  • Referred By:haley
  • Statement:I believe -- I believe -- everyday's a good day when you paint

Posted 05 September 2011 - 07:02 PM

They seem a little hunch-backed to me. The fin shape is also not up to snuff. They're attractive multicolored pets, like many pet store fish. Of course, I wouldn't pay money for a pet store fish. :) Have you ever entered them in an IBC show?
  • RandomWiktor likes this

#6 RandomWiktor

RandomWiktor

I put the "fun" in fundamentalist!

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,485 posts
  • Betta Count:8
  • Total Fish Count:Between several and many.
  • Referred By:I was sucked in by UB's gravitational force.
  • Statement:We weep for a bird's cry but not for a fish's blood; blessed are those with a voice.

Posted 05 September 2011 - 07:23 PM

Look, I'm no expert, but I'm looking at this thread (http://www.ultimateb...pic=55275&st=96), post #105, and those DTs look seriously messed-up to me. I know that's not half your fish, but most people wouldn't even consider selling those fish; they'd be culled or given away.

Hadn't seen these pics before because I frankly am not on the forum as much as I'd like these days, but yes: uneven lobes, short bodies, uneven spines, hunched backs, etc. are all considered significant form and finnage faults. Again, these are nice pets - I do not doubt that. However, I've had many a cull betta sent my way by breeders with that look to them, even to lesser degrees. :dunno:
  • Synirr and VelvetDragon like this

#7 Maryanne

Maryanne

UltimateBettas Veteran

• 8,850 posts
  • Betta Count:Enough.
  • Total Fish Count:Many!
  • Referred By:google

Posted 05 September 2011 - 07:25 PM

I'm going to go with the others. They are attractive fish that don't necessarily conform to the IBC standards set forward for them. Honestly though, I see a lot of deformity in show fish as well... (mostly shovel heads, hunched backs, and in some cases warped spines) It happens, especially when focusing mostly on color and finnage in both show spawns and pet store spawns.

I have ordered fish from you in the past and can attest that they were very healthy and energetic fish that were obviously well taken care of. You know how to breed fish and raise them to healthy attractive adults.

I can understand how you see these posts as attacks. There are just two sides to the opinion, and instead of taking it personally (which in your shoes I would have done, too) perhaps just ask about your fish. Different people have different standards on what is a good betta, and what is deformed. You might not be focusing on what they see as a deformity. I really have seen few legitimate deformities(warped spines, shovel heads, uneven scales, etc) in your fish and have seen more of proportional issues (weak peduncles, odd body shapes, or bodies not proportional to finnage). But then again, those are just my opinion.
  • Synirr, RandomWiktor and LouisaMaeBrown like this

#8 Irchin

Irchin

Crowntail

• Members
  • 592 posts
  • Statement:I'm not perfect nor do I want to be, look what they did to the last guy!

Posted 05 September 2011 - 08:16 PM

Did you breed the fish in your avatar?

Yes I did and recently spawned him with a similar colored female. I have several people wanting him or some of his offspring.

#9 LilGreenPuffer

LilGreenPuffer

• Members
  • 7,006 posts

Posted 05 September 2011 - 08:23 PM

Well, I was just wondering, since his spine is deformed.
  • Gilraen Took, JessiBessi93 and Susurro like this

#10 Irchin

Irchin

Crowntail

• Members
  • 592 posts

Posted 05 September 2011 - 08:32 PM

Those little fat DT's are about 2 months old and grew up to be sold on Aquabid for $8 to $15.00 each. Posted Image This one has a $15,00 bid on it right now on Aquabid. You won't see that color anywhere else either.Posted Image They all turned out full bodied with out any short bodied bent spined ones in the bunch. You know nothing about it. Culls my eye!
  • Spitfire Betta likes this

#11 Susurro

Susurro

Loves bettas more than people

• 4,751 posts
  • Total Fish Count:1
  • Referred By:The Interweb
  • Statement:"The mind is everything. What you think you become." - Siddhartha Gautama

Posted 05 September 2011 - 08:39 PM

I don't know much about betta standards, but just because people will pay money for a fish (or dog, or anything for that matter) doesn't mean that it is of high quality. I've seen puppies sell at a petstore for more than $500 while none of them have papers or any proof of their backgrounds and the only reason they're selling for that much is because they're cute and people make stupid decisions.

The last two fish you posted here have uneven tails and I would not pay more than $5 for those fish. But then again I don't breed and simply enjoy my fish as pets.

Also, basically spitting in the face of other members and mods is a pretty stupid idea. You don't have to be so rude.
  • RandomWiktor, VelvetDragon and LilGreenPuffer like this

#12 Irchin

Irchin

Crowntail

• Members
  • 592 posts

Posted 05 September 2011 - 08:52 PM

I have many many repeat customers and I've turned this into a full time job regardless of your opinions I shall indevore to continue improving my Bettas and supply my customers with what they want. I don't spit in anyones eye by the way. THAT would be rude.
  • Maryanne and Spitfire Betta like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq