4 replies to this topic

#1 Okashiko

Okashiko

Crazy Fish Lady In Training

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 691 posts
  • Referred By:Google
  • Statement:Rest well, Genji... you were my favorite!

Posted 22 August 2011 - 02:07 PM

Hey all,
I've been having a string of no-good-very-bad-rotten luck this week with fish illnesses. First I had to euthanize my favorite betta when I discovered that he had dropsy (long story, will never leave fish in my parents' care for an extended amount of time ever, ever, again).

Now, one of the pygmy hatchetfish in my 12 gallon planted community tank looks like he might have ich! There are little white dots on his fins, and some of his caudal fin looks a little ragged. If anyone could confirm this diagnosis, it would be much appreciated. I'd also like some advice on how to medicate for this condition, and whether or not I should treat the whole tank. I recently found out that hatchets are prone to ich, but also cannot tolerate strong doses of malachite green, which seems to be in all of the invert-safe ich meds out there. I have some ParaGuard at home, which has a low dose of malachite green mixed with formalin in in, but I'm a little concerned about using it.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

-----------------------------------------
SYMPTOMS
Appearance Changes: White spots on fins
Behavior Changes: None noticed
Eating Habits: Still eating regularly
Other:

WATER STATS (Will post later when I can finish tests)
Ammonia:
Nitrate:
Nitrite:
pH: 7.6
Hardness: kH(7*), gH (7*- 8*)

Time you noticed the illness:

TANK
Size: 12 gallon Aquapod planted community
(Note: My tank yay have a touch of NTS... I thought the cycle was good and done, especially since I was using a butt-load of previously used ceramic media with a well-established bacteria colony in it, but I may have thrown things out of whack when I stocked it)
Temp: 76*F
Filtration/Aeration: stock Aquapod filter (roughly 160 GPH)

HUSBANDRY PRACTICES
Frequency of Tank Cleaning: 20-25% WC every other week
Water Additives: Prime, Flourish, CO2 (from Nutrafin CO2 System)
Feeding (food type/frequency): SERA Tropical Fish flakes 1x daily, skip feeding on weekends. Fed frozen daphnia and bloodworms once or twice a week.
Tank Mates: Hatchetfish in question is part of school with 5 others, also 6 harlequin rasboras & 3 pgymy cories (will get more cories soon). All fish are recent additions to this tank. Both the rasboras and the pygmy hatchets came from the same tank at my LFS, and my cory shoal comes from an older tank that I broke down. All fish were quarantined prior to introduction.

TREATMENT
Any treatment so far and when: Currently raising the tank temp to 86*F.

HISTORY
List any past health problems: None known. Fish are recent addition to tank.

------------------------------------------------

Here is a video with the fish in question in it:

http://s839.photobuc...nt=MVI_4966.mp4

And a picture:
Posted Image

Edited by Okashiko, 22 August 2011 - 02:10 PM.

#2 Solitarianknight

Solitarianknight

Formerly known as dimidiata

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,253 posts
  • Betta Count:2
  • Total Fish Count:many
  • Referred By:the gravitational force that shrouds UB
  • Statement:luchamos por la liberación de los bettas! Las viva bettas

Posted 03 September 2011 - 05:36 PM

Holy crap talk about neglected thread. I hope your doing ok. That looks like ich to me and if you havnt started treatment start now. I would up the WC to 30% per week and keep it like that. Ich occurs typicaly if one fish is already sick when introduced, water conditions are poor, poor diet etc so correcting the problem save for the first one is the answer to long term success.

#3 Okashiko

Okashiko

• Members
  • 691 posts

Posted 04 September 2011 - 08:01 AM

Holy crap talk about neglected thread. I hope your doing ok. That looks like ich to me and if you havnt started treatment start now. I would up the WC to 30% per week and keep it like that. Ich occurs typicaly if one fish is already sick when introduced, water conditions are poor, poor diet etc so correcting the problem save for the first one is the answer to long term success.

Eh, it's alright. Apparently, I caught it early, so it didn't spread to my school. I'm lucky to have LPS employees in my area that are ardent fish hobbyists themselves and could actually answer some of my questions about treating ich. I dosed the tank with a half dose of paraguard for a few days, and raised the tank temp. The ich appears to be gone, but I'm still keeping an eye on it.

#4 Hippiechick

Hippiechick

The Glitter Queen

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,940 posts
  • Betta Count:1
  • Total Fish Count:50 +++ got more now!
  • Referred By:BettaMomma and Chris
  • Statement:"Time to nut up or shut up!" Tallahassee, Zombieland...

Posted 04 September 2011 - 09:02 AM

I'm so very sorry that this thread slipped past us with no attention. I'm very glad that you found a solution and that your fish are all ok. I too would have suggested upping the water changes and only half-dosing the tank.
Again, please accept our apologies for not responding sooner.

#5 Okashiko

Okashiko

• Members
  • 691 posts

Posted 04 September 2011 - 02:20 PM

I'm so very sorry that this thread slipped past us with no attention. I'm very glad that you found a solution and that your fish are all ok. I too would have suggested upping the water changes and only half-dosing the tank.
Again, please accept our apologies for not responding sooner.

Not a problem, HC. Stuff happens, we all have lives outside of UB, and I'm not at all upset.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq