#1 Xjasminex

Xjasminex

Egg

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 08:00 PM

Hello!
I am new to this forum and have already learned so so much and have wasted hours and hours browsing!

I was wondering what algae eater would be best for my tank. I have a 29g stocked with two fancy fantail goldfish and one albino cory. Now I know that cories are schooling fish but mine has done quite well by himself for the last two and a half years, he hangs out with my goldies, even sleeping with them at night, and has no problem with dealing with the food rush. I currently have a non planted tank but I have a substantial amount of brown algae hanging out. I do however have have plants coming in the mail to stock my Betta walstad tank that I am building and I plan to start to plant my Goldie tank with leftovers/ overgrowth from that in small terra cotta pots.

Oh and by the way I keep my tank at a higher temp than recommended, in the summer the temp gets into the eighties and the winter it reaches the mid seventies, my goldies and cory are extremely active and have no issue with this higher temp I just make sure that I feed them enough food to keep them going!

I know that ottos are schooling fish too so I am hesitant to get those because I dont want to overwhelm my other fish, especially my cory that I adore. But I hear that young brown algae is their favorite.

I have also heard that plecos and goldfish should not be kept together because goldies have a yummy slime coat, but I didnt know if that just applied to common plecos and not BN plecos.

Any suggestions on either would be appreciated and also any tank requirements for them too would be helpful, I am willing to make changes to my tank to best suit my hopefully new tankmates.

Thanks alot!
Jasmine

#2 Stormphyre

Stormphyre

UltimateBettas Veteran

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,117 posts
  • Betta Count:1
  • Referred By:Snow

Posted 26 June 2011 - 08:20 PM

Personally, at the current size tank you have, I wouldn't recommend either. Otos are very sensitive to ammonia levels, and plecos are just as dirty as goldies. Eventually, you'll be wanting to upgrade your tank for the two goldies, so I would wait until you get a bigger tank before adding anymore tank mates.

Also! Welcome to :ub:
  • Styx and Nelson like this

#3 Nelson

Nelson

"Happiness is a hand full of salamanders" -Palor

• Members
  • 4,841 posts
  • Betta Count:7
  • Total Fish Count:7
  • Referred By:SupersonicMuffin/Limefox
  • Statement:BLOARG! I AM A BOOK! U8<

Posted 26 June 2011 - 08:38 PM

Interesting that you admit that you're doing things people don't recommend, but do them anyway. Just because there isn't an issue right this second doesn't mean there won't be an issue in the future.

Goldfish kept at higher temperatures are prone to bacterial infections and shorter lives, they are cold water fish. There is a reason they're kept at a certain temperature as much as possible.

Corydoras are schooling, this means that keeping one alone DOES negatively effect him. A solitary coryora will become stressed. Every instinct in his body is telling him he should be with a group yet he is not. He feels vulnerable and sensitive. This leads to one of two behaviors, excessive aggression or excessive hiding. This "hanging out" with the goldies sounds like he's actually try to get them to go away so he can feel safe. Has the cory been alone it's whole life?

One main reason you don't keep goldfish and plecos together is their preferred temperature range, it generally does not intersect. Therefore you'd be sacrificing the health of one fish no matter what temperature you kept the tank. The same applies for otos. Not only that but goldfish prefer a pH of 7.3+ while otos like 7.1 and below.

You don't have enough space for any other fish, regardless. It would definitely overstock what you have. I highly suggest putting the corydora in another tank and giving him a healthy group of 4+ so he can live a healthy happy life, which he will not under the current circumstances.

#4 LilGreenPuffer

LilGreenPuffer

Yeah, I'm "that girl with the fish."

• Members
  • 7,006 posts
  • Betta Count:1
  • Total Fish Count:4
  • Referred By:Google
  • Statement:My mission is to make your day a little more surreal.

Posted 26 June 2011 - 08:53 PM

Any suggestions on either would be appreciated and also any tank requirements for them too would be helpful, I am willing to make changes to my tank to best suit my hopefully new tankmates.

I think your first priority should be to make changes to suit your present fish.

#5 Solitarianknight

Solitarianknight

Formerly known as dimidiata

• Members
  • 4,255 posts
  • Betta Count:2
  • Total Fish Count:many
  • Referred By:the gravitational force that shrouds UB
  • Statement:luchamos por la liberación de los bettas! Las viva bettas

Posted 27 June 2011 - 08:58 PM

Cant say much but Cory are tropical and goldfish are colwater, temp flux shouldn't happen like that. Otto's would die IMO and a pleco wouldn't help much since they poop like machines. You've been given some great advice by the others. I recommended either returning the Cory or setting him up a 15gal+ tank(not too sure on Cory tank size) and buying him some friends. Aka other albinos. What are you feeding?

#6 RobertTheFish

RobertTheFish

Hi, my name's Hal, and I'm a betta addict.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 257 posts
  • Betta Count:2
  • Total Fish Count:6 - 2 bettas and 4 guppies
  • Statement:http://crazyforbettafish.blogspot.com/ - "Have a betta day." - Bob Vang

Posted 29 June 2011 - 02:38 PM

Otos are very sensitive to ammonia levels, and plecos are just as dirty as goldies.

My thoughts exactly.

I have a 10 gallon with 7 female bettas. I added 2 otos and proptly lost them. I should have done more research about how sensitive they are.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq