Photo

Powerpig the tiger oscar

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

Poll: oscar love (14 member(s) have cast votes)

What is your favorite kind of oscar?

1. tiger oscar (9 votes [64.29%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 64.29%

2. red oscar (1 votes [7.14%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 7.14%

3. albino oscar (4 votes [28.57%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 28.57%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 bettaman98

bettaman98

Wiggler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts
  • Betta Count:1
  • Total Fish Count:6 including betta

Posted 09 June 2011 - 07:13 AM

this is my little, less than an inch, buddy with fins :) got him yesterday.Posted Image (BITING OFF A LITTLE MORE THAN I CN CHEW AENT I?)

Edited by bettaman98, 09 June 2011 - 10:57 AM.

#2 Dakota-Rose

Dakota-Rose

Ohai there!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 182 posts
  • Betta Count:5
  • Total Fish Count:9
  • Referred By:Google

Posted 09 June 2011 - 10:37 AM

Awwe, he's cute :) What size of tank are you planning on putting him in as he grows? They require 75g and up.

#3 bettaman98

bettaman98

Wiggler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 09 June 2011 - 10:56 AM

Awwe, he's cute :) What size of tank are you planning on putting him in as he grows? They require 75g and up.

i plan on putting him in a 75, right now hes the size of a golf ball but i heard they grow extremely fast at this stage

#4 Solitarianknight

Solitarianknight

Formerly known as dimidiata

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,253 posts
  • Betta Count:2
  • Total Fish Count:many
  • Referred By:the gravitational force that shrouds UB
  • Statement:luchamos por la liberación de los bettas! Las viva bettas

Posted 09 June 2011 - 05:01 PM

Just a fair bit of advice, this guy wont do long in anything less then 55gal and then he will still end up needing a 75gal. Make sure you read up on oscar diets and such. They are beautiful fish. Also THEY NEED a cycled tank so make sure it stays cycled if it already is, sometimes their bioload can overrun a cycle if the cycle wasnt done large enough(not enough bacteria grown) they tend to have large bioloads, im guessing this runs true to babbies aswell.

As far as im concerned my fav oscars are any oscar that is well cared for and healthy, in that case i love them, there are soem people that buy them for the sake of feeding them live rodents or lizards imo thats not a good reason. I do favour the melano color strain and the pacsun wich is a bit rare i hear and its straight yellow, very amzing. I love oscars as one of my favs. Just one question though, why not wait till the 75gal was ready, that would have been the best thing to do.

Edited by dimidiata, 09 June 2011 - 06:18 PM.

• C M likes this

#5 RandomWiktor

RandomWiktor

I put the "fun" in fundamentalist!

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,480 posts
  • Betta Count:8
  • Total Fish Count:Between several and many.
  • Referred By:I was sucked in by UB's gravitational force.
  • Statement:We weep for a bird's cry but not for a fish's blood; blessed are those with a voice.

Posted 09 June 2011 - 07:30 PM

Just one question though, why not wait till the 75gal was ready, that would have been the best thing to do

The use of grow-out tanks is pretty well accepted in the hobby, so "the best thing to do" is questionable IMO. Suggesting that someone should have set up and run a 75g aquarium for a 1-2" fish is a bit like suggesting someone provide 5-10g each for tiny betta fry; it isn't reasonable and it isn't necessary. You can do it, sure, but I personally consider myself a responsible fishkeeper and would not waste the electric running the heater, filter, lighting, etc. on a tank that big for a fish who isn't even going to produce enough waste to keep a cycle going.

Should someone absolutely have the financial and space preparations for an adult size tank for any fish that they purchase? Absolutely. But I don't think it makes someone irresponsible to use a grow-out for a young fish.

ETA: That being said, I do find this post slightly disconcerting. Namely because oscars are long lived fish with significant space needs who produce an ammount of waste that makes long-distance transport risky. At 13, you have a LOT of changes coming up in your life, and long-lived pets tend to suffer that. There's also the matter of if members of your household will permit you to buy proper accomodations for the animal, and how you will afford them assuming you can't legally have a job at your age. I'm HOPING this fish was bought with the right research and intentions and with proper preparations for its long-term care, because way too many oscars do not get what they need, care-wise.
  • Synirr, Hippiechick, Gilraen Took and 9 others like this

#6 bettaman98

bettaman98

Wiggler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 10 June 2011 - 09:07 AM

Just a fair bit of advice, this guy wont do long in anything less then 55gal and then he will still end up needing a 75gal. Make sure you read up on oscar diets and such. They are beautiful fish. Also THEY NEED a cycled tank so make sure it stays cycled if it already is, sometimes their bioload can overrun a cycle if the cycle wasnt done large enough(not enough bacteria grown) they tend to have large bioloads, im guessing this runs true to babbies aswell.

As far as im concerned my fav oscars are any oscar that is well cared for and healthy, in that case i love them, there are soem people that buy them for the sake of feeding them live rodents or lizards imo thats not a good reason. I do favour the melano color strain and the pacsun wich is a bit rare i hear and its straight yellow, very amzing. I love oscars as one of my favs. Just one question though, why not wait till the 75gal was ready, that would have been the best thing to do.

dont worry ive got everything figured out, everyother day im going to siphon out all the poop. occasionally im going to ffeed it rosy reds(not mice cuz it makes a mess!). and i have read up on everything i can find, and i search for more info even then, thanks for the help.

#7 bettaman98

bettaman98

Wiggler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 10 June 2011 - 09:13 AM

The use of grow-out tanks is pretty well accepted in the hobby, so "the best thing to do" is questionable IMO. Suggesting that someone should have set up and run a 75g aquarium for a 1-2" fish is a bit like suggesting someone provide 5-10g each for tiny betta fry; it isn't reasonable and it isn't necessary. You can do it, sure, but I personally consider myself a responsible fishkeeper and would not waste the electric running the heater, filter, lighting, etc. on a tank that big for a fish who isn't even going to produce enough waste to keep a cycle going.

Should someone absolutely have the financial and space preparations for an adult size tank for any fish that they purchase? Absolutely. But I don't think it makes someone irresponsible to use a grow-out for a young fish.

ETA: That being said, I do find this post slightly disconcerting. Namely because oscars are long lived fish with significant space needs who produce an ammount of waste that makes long-distance transport risky. At 13, you have a LOT of changes coming up in your life, and long-lived pets tend to suffer that. There's also the matter of if members of your household will permit you to buy proper accomodations for the animal, and how you will afford them assuming you can't legally have a job at your age. I'm HOPING this fish was bought with the right research and intentions and with proper preparations for its long-term care, because way too many oscars do not get what they need, care-wise.

thanks, i couldny agree more. i use grow out tanks, well, because it does use way more electricity so i try and save as much money as possible. and my parents have let me use my money on a 75 gallon and have already made a suitable space, i heard that they live a long time so when i goto college ill probably end up renting my own apartmen so i can keep te fish.but thank you also for the advice

#8 Solitarianknight

Solitarianknight

• Members
  • 4,253 posts

Posted 10 June 2011 - 09:23 AM

your right ren im worrying WAY to much, lol. Its good reading up on them eh? I was literaly on youtube watching a vid on oscar a few minutes ago lol, they were 5 month old fry, they were about 5" at my best guess, exspect your guy to put on the size quick, but they are supposed to slow down at 10" and be done within about 2-3 years(did some searching on a oscar forum). Makew sure your rosey red source is a good one as you dont want any sick food. Also when you cycle the 75gal might i suggest tetra safe start, youll need a bt of it but it works AMAZINGLY good. It speeds up the cycle so all you must do is give it amonia to feed it, this can be done with fish food(my choice) shrimo or bottle amonia, dont recomend a fish in cycle. Im also renting a appartment when i go to college so i can keep meh fish.
http://www.oscarfish...oscar-fish-food
Although feeder goldies may seem nice and easy i really dont recomend it. Most of the time those gold fish are carrying all the wrong dieases. You might have better luck with a staple pellet food and frozen, throw some crickets in every now and then as they are insect lovers but try to stay off goldies for the health of your fish, trust me its worth not having a sick oscar. breeding your own feeders might work good. I know breeding goldies probably requires specail attention but i wonder if you cant use a 10gal(or whatever hes in now) once hes out and grow some guppy or other livebearers(not too familiar with them) it sure beats store bought goldies. Then again you might have more livebearrs then the oscar can eat lol.

#9 bettaman98

bettaman98

Wiggler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 10 June 2011 - 09:53 AM

Although feeder goldies may seem nice and easy i really dont recomend it. Most of the time those gold fish are carrying all the wrong dieases. You might have better luck with a staple pellet food and frozen, throw some crickets in every now and then as they are insect lovers but try to stay off goldies for the health of your fish, trust me its worth not having a sick oscar. breeding your own feeders might work good. I know breeding goldies probably requires specail attention but i wonder if you cant use a 10gal(or whatever hes in now) once hes out and grow some guppy or other livebearers(not too familiar with them) it sure beats store bought goldies. Then again you might have more livebearrs then the oscar can eat lol.

thanks, ill try and see about that safe start stuff. and yea im not going to personaly breed fish for that purpose especially livebearers. but yea the only way im getting goldfish is if they just got a new shipmmaent. but yea

#10 Solitarianknight

Solitarianknight

• Members
  • 4,253 posts

Posted 10 June 2011 - 10:07 AM

the issue isnt how fresh the goldies are, they are mass bred and sickness is cought while in shipping and before they even leave the breeding farm, you should just try pellets, insects and other various things. in all honesty goldies arnt a great staple for oscar and you should have a pellet staple like with most tropical fish.
http://www.associate...ish.html?cat=53 another great article.
http://www.oscarfish...-live-food.html
join thats forum, trust me they rock.
Heres their care sheets http://www.oscarfish...ome/oscars.html

Also to be mentioned is monsterfishkeeper forum and ultimate cichlids.net.

Edited by dimidiata, 10 June 2011 - 10:07 AM.

#11 bettaman98

bettaman98

Wiggler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 10 June 2011 - 10:11 AM

the issue isnt how fresh the goldies are, they are mass bred and sickness is cought while in shipping and before they even leave the breeding farm, you should just try pellets, insects and other various things. in all honesty goldies arnt a great staple for oscar and you should have a pellet staple like with most tropical fish.
http://www.associate...ish.html?cat=53 another great article.
http://www.oscarfish...-live-food.html
join thats forum, trust me they rock.
Heres their care sheets http://www.oscarfish...ome/oscars.html

Also to be mentioned is monsterfishkeeper forum and ultimate cichlids.net.

alright, like i said im probably going to stick with rosy reds, when he gets big enough lol

#12 Solitarianknight

Solitarianknight

• Members
  • 4,253 posts

Posted 10 June 2011 - 10:17 AM

Im only trying to help when i say that gold fish simply wont be enough nutrition, if you care for your fish you would seriously reconsider and go the safe and healthy way for your fish, i gave you some good links and advice.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq