Irchin

Crowntail

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 588 posts
  • Betta Count:2,000 (ish)
  • Total Fish Count:Over 2,000
  • Referred By:Andy Partin
  • Statement:I'm not perfect nor do I want to be, look what they did to the last guy!

Posted 02 June 2011 - 09:43 PM

I could take a more maturely advanced 4 month old male Halfmoon and Put it next to a 10 or 12 month old one and that would look about the same but there are Giant Halfmoons out there. It is not a fixed or completely dominant trait. I'm reading that maybe one out of 20 or 30 in a spawn or a half dozen out of a few hundred fry are big. I have several friends on facebook from Indonesia and Thailand that are always posting their "Giants". Next to a tape measurer with the measurement next to the Betta. They are usually between 6.3 and 8.4 centimeters. Which sounds big but that is only 2 1/2 to 3 1/4 inches. I've had Petco "Kings" that size or bigger.Posted ImagePosted Image

#14 rozzzna

rozzzna

Juvie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 199 posts
  • Betta Count:A lot..

Posted 30 July 2011 - 03:34 AM

I have imported Giant HM's In the past - and they are real - it is not photoshopped pictures.

The reason you don't see them often, could be that it is Thaibreeders who have developed them, and as giants they are hard to breed and maintain - especially in longfinned form.
So unless serious breeders in the US imports them and have succes breeding them, they can not be found in petstores (and I really can't imagine why anyone that could get them to breed would sell them to a petstore, instead of selling them to devoted giant breeders)

I had a lovely Giant HM female - she was bigger than a fullgrown large Plakat male. Unfortunately I did not bother to take comparable pictures as they were only imported on order, so they were already sold when they arrived.

But here is the female, notice how much space she takes of that jar (each side of the jar is 5,5" wide)

Posted Image
Posted Image
And that is a real giant Plakat male in the jar next to her.

And here we have two regular sized plakats - a male on the left and a female on the right - they are in exactly the same jars.
Posted Image

#15 RisaxVice

RisaxVice

Egg

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 01:41 PM

I have a 3 month old Gaint halfmoon. They eat like savages! Though they are exceedingly beautiful!
Have you seen a Giant crowntail?

#16 Namida

Namida

The Punk Bunny

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 372 posts
  • Betta Count:1
  • Total Fish Count:8 and some Shrimp
  • Referred By:A Lady on Ravelry.com
  • Statement:My dad's the "Laptop Fairy"

Posted 03 August 2011 - 02:18 PM

I don't think all of these are shopped

Posted Image

I know this might be late but I just saw this and... Is that a baby that they're calling the Reg? Because I have a tiny, baby DT HM and compared to my adult HM he's really, really, really small.

Now I could be wrong, but that looks like an adult flaring at a little juvie, to me at least.

#17 jimmyfresno

jimmyfresno

Egg

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 02 December 2011 - 05:21 PM

Hi. I'm in Fresno CA and am looking for a red giant betta. I don't want to have to pay an intershipper and import one. Are there any breeders in the US? I looked on past threads and saw this thread but it apparently died.

#18 Dennis B

Dennis B

Egg

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 11:17 PM

I do remember claims that go back to the 1970 of strains of Bettas that were 3 1/2 inches to even 4" from comercial Betta breeders.  I had seen some of these fish and they looked like thay could have been some form of a cross breed as they showed very little color back them as well as there fins were long and stragley but not very full at all.  I believe some of the breeders used to refer to them as Libby Bettas.

The ones I'm seeing now are nothing close as they do have the color and the full finnage.  However I have not seen anything That I would consider a 3 1/2" to 4" fish today.  Personaly I believe what were seeing is come cross between the old Libby Bettas and the Newer Half Moon strains.

#19 shadowgrl

shadowgrl

Juvie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 128 posts
  • Betta Count:2...ish
  • Total Fish Count:2
  • Statement:No more dreaming like a girl so in love with the wrong world....

Posted 08 April 2014 - 08:18 AM

I had a giant halfmoon betta. It seems that they are rather rare now, yes. Mine was 2.5-3 inches at somewhere around 3 months... Unfortunately I got him before realizing that the water where I live is horrible for fishkeeping. :( I got him on Aquabid though. Planning on getting another one in the future though.

Not a very good picture of him but- http://s1287.photobu...tml?sort=3&o=99

If I ever get into breeding these guys, my plan is to breed giant halfmoon. Unfortunately that is still a year or two away, at least. Beautiful fish though.

Sidenote: I did pay bank for him. Every giant halfmoon I've seen is pretty expensive, and never under $100. I think I paid around $150 or $160 after import fees and such.

Edited by shadowgrl, 08 April 2014 - 08:19 AM.

#20 Dennis B

Dennis B

Egg

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 03:46 PM

Keep in mind that if your breeding half moon bettas with even the best stock you will not be getting all the males as half moons.  The best I was able to achieve was less than 10%.  And if you want to talk about show fish then color is also a big concern and that realy narrows down what is showable as a half moon.  Now adding the giant factor is something that I';m sure all the fry will not be giants either at this point.

#21 shadowgrl

shadowgrl

Juvie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 128 posts
  • Betta Count:2...ish
  • Total Fish Count:2
  • Statement:No more dreaming like a girl so in love with the wrong world....

Posted 11 April 2014 - 04:11 PM

You are correct. Even if both parents are giant, I believe the most I've heard of being giant is 60%? I can't remember exactly... and I believe 30% is more average. The remainder of them will be half giant or normal size, I believe. It may be all half giant, it's been a while since I was looking into it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq