Photo

Possible Decline in Coralife Bulb Quality?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Mad Chemist

Mad Chemist

The leprechaun tells me to burn things!

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,616 posts
  • Betta Count:0
  • Total Fish Count:Plenty
  • Statement:If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the precipitate!

Posted 02 May 2011 - 07:15 PM

I have been using my Coralife Aqualight dual T5 fixture for three years, and have been replacing my (still working) bulbs every six months. I purchased a pair of replacement Coralife T5 bulbs on boxing day, and they only lasted 2 months before burning out. I was running my one spare bulb until last Sunday, when I went out and bought a second bulb. Well, after once week of use, the bulb I just bought has burnt out!

I called the store and they told me to bring in both my bulb and my fixture, and they would see what they could do. I'm hoping they'll replace the bulb for me, since I don't want to shell out $20 for a new bulb every few weeks.

My fixture is plugged into a good surge protector, so I don't think electrical issues are to blame. I'm wondering if this could be a result of a decline in the quality of Coralife's bulbs.

#2 Ciddian

Ciddian

MMmmmmmemeewwooo :3

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,515 posts
  • Referred By:Chris

Posted 02 May 2011 - 07:26 PM

If we are talking about the same fixtures (slim line?) then ya, my bulb burned out within a month D: I didn't have the time to drive back up to Luckies unfortunately..

Did you notice that the red wires are kind of tight against the ends of the bulbs? Mine can block the bulbs a bit.. I didn't know if that was an issue or not.

#3 Mad Chemist

Mad Chemist

• Super Moderator
  • 4,616 posts

Posted 02 May 2011 - 08:19 PM

It doesn't say Slimline on it, but it is very slim. I haven't had any clearance issues with the bulbs. They go in and out quit easily. The short bulb life is certainly very frustrating!

#4 RAH

RAH

Undocumented Lurker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 978 posts
  • Betta Count:2
  • Total Fish Count:45
  • Statement:(<_<) (>_>)

Posted 02 May 2011 - 08:36 PM

If your talking about these The colormax bulbs only lasted 1 or 2 months on each of mine, but the 6700 seem OK.

#5 Mad Chemist

Mad Chemist

• Super Moderator
  • 4,616 posts

Posted 02 May 2011 - 08:57 PM

If your talking about these The colormax bulbs only lasted 1 or 2 months on each of mine, but the 6700 seem OK.

Yes, that's the fixture I have.

#6 Cuttlefish

Cuttlefish

Blend in, but not too much!

• Elite Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 341 posts
  • Betta Count:2
  • Total Fish Count:3
  • Referred By:Yahoo

Posted 02 May 2011 - 09:28 PM

This. I've been only using 18w of my 36w possible on my fixture for months now of t5. The colormax was the one to go, after three monthsish. I have another colormax from a mistaken fixture order, so I have 36w at the moment, but my 6700 has lasted about seven months at this point. So perhaps the lower bulb life is with the colormax bulbs.

#7 Saucy

Saucy

Spread the love

• Super Moderator
  • 10,833 posts
  • Betta Count:3
  • Total Fish Count:TONS
  • Referred By:BettaMomma!!
  • Statement:"The measure of a society can be how well its people treat its animals." ~ Gandhi

Posted 02 May 2011 - 09:33 PM

I'd definitely be calling Coralife and letting them know what's going on. They should know that their bulbs are crap and you're going to be talking about it until it gets better. It's complete crap that you have to keep getting bulbs.

#8 Mad Chemist

Mad Chemist

• Super Moderator
  • 4,616 posts

Posted 07 May 2011 - 04:27 PM

I exchanged the bad bulb for a new one today. Big Al's Scarborough swapped it with no hassle, as per their usual excellent level of customer service.

#9 Synirr

Synirr

Sanity and happiness are an impossible combination.

• Root Administrator
  • 12,904 posts
  • Betta Count:Some
  • Total Fish Count:Lots

Posted 08 May 2011 - 12:11 PM

How old is your fixture? Also are the bulbs burning out in both positions on the fixture, or just one? I'll be honest, I wouldn't be at all surprised if it was just bad bulbs, but sometimes a ballast that's on its way out will cause bulbs to burn out more quickly.

#10 Mad Chemist

Mad Chemist

• Super Moderator
  • 4,616 posts

Posted 08 May 2011 - 03:10 PM

How old is your fixture? Also are the bulbs burning out in both positions on the fixture, or just one? I'll be honest, I wouldn't be at all surprised if it was just bad bulbs, but sometimes a ballast that's on its way out will cause bulbs to burn out more quickly.

The fixture is 3 or 4 years old. The first time the bulbs went out prematurely, both positions burned out within a short time period. This time, one bulb burned out after one week, while the other bulb has been running for 2 months.

I'm not noticing any flickering or trouble starting up, which makes me lean more towards bad bulbs than a dying ballast.

#11 Mad Chemist

Mad Chemist

• Super Moderator
  • 4,616 posts

Posted 27 May 2011 - 08:55 PM

The replacement bulb died today, so I think this is probably being caused by the fixture rather than the bulbs, as Synirr suggested. I'm going to be replacing my fixture with a Marineland Double Bright LED light. That should keep me from burning out bulbs for quite a while!

#12 Saucy

Saucy

Spread the love

• Super Moderator
  • 10,833 posts
  • Betta Count:3
  • Total Fish Count:TONS
  • Referred By:BettaMomma!!
  • Statement:"The measure of a society can be how well its people treat its animals." ~ Gandhi

Posted 27 May 2011 - 09:04 PM

Ugh, that sucks. At least you get to get a sweet new fixture out of the deal!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq