Photo

Are petco halfmoon king bettas GIANTS???

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 asian guy

asian guy

Fry

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 16 April 2011 - 09:42 PM

i found the largest betta i have ever seen in my life at Petco, today. it was labelled a halfmoon king betta, but it clearly was not a halfmoon just a short tail.

the betta was literally crammedd into those small bowl that petco uses, i thought it was just a 3 inch bowl and thought that giants are only considered giant when the betta is 4+ inches, so i didn't buy it instead i brought a black lace short tail female betta.

well the betta couldn't move in his jar well at all, it was the whole diameter and a bit more because the tail was a slightly curved so it would fit.

it also didn't flare up probably because it was stress due to the jar size.

i came back home and measured the diameter of the jar and it was 4.3 inches, this means the betta was at least 4.3 inches, but i think is was 4.5 inches.

the bettas was insanely huge but i think it is pretty old too since it was a betta at a pet store.

so this lead to my question are halfmoon king bettas true GIANTS???? or are they considered GIANTS???

and who knows what the age of pet store bettas usually are???

the betta was a wild green betta, approx. 4.5 inches.

#2 Maryanne

Maryanne

UltimateBettas Veteran

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,850 posts
  • Betta Count:Enough.
  • Total Fish Count:Many!
  • Referred By:google

Posted 17 April 2011 - 07:11 AM

The petco kings are just considered to be large bettas. They aren't long enough to be true giants, and if they were half giants, then breeding a petco king to a petco "queen" would produce giant fry. From the experiments I have seen people do, crossing a petco king with any other fish results in normal sized fry.

#3 asian guy

asian guy

Fry

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 17 April 2011 - 08:26 AM

The petco kings are just considered to be large bettas. They aren't long enough to be true giants, and if they were half giants, then breeding a petco king to a petco "queen" would produce giant fry. From the experiments I have seen people do, crossing a petco king with any other fish results in normal sized fry.

but this fish was clearly 4.3-4.5 inches and that is the standard for "true giant" length, plus sit had a thick body too in terms of height and width

so what really, is the giant standard? if no the length of 4+ inches?

#4 Solitarianknight

Solitarianknight

Formerly known as dimidiata

• Members
  • 4,255 posts
  • Betta Count:2
  • Total Fish Count:many
  • Referred By:the gravitational force that shrouds UB
  • Statement:luchamos por la liberación de los bettas! Las viva bettas

Posted 17 April 2011 - 08:43 AM

i thought standard giant was 7+? 4+ is normaly half giant BUT there are betta that just get long ad big. who knows maybe its horomones or something all i know is that petco offers alot of difernt betta types,color,tails and sizes.

ETA: nope never mind thats wrong appearently, not enough research on my part srry.

Edited by dimidiata, 17 April 2011 - 11:52 AM.

#5 asian guy

asian guy

Fry

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 17 April 2011 - 11:47 AM

i thought standard giant was 7+? 4+ is normaly half giant BUT there are betta that just get long ad big. who knows maybe its horomones or something all i know is that petco offers alot of difernt betta types,color,tails and sizes.

there is not such thing as a 7+ betta, i heard it's was just a exaggerating, the short fin type ranges from 4-5 inches and the long fins usually get to 6inches.

#6 Solitarianknight

Solitarianknight

Formerly known as dimidiata

• Members
  • 4,255 posts
  • Betta Count:2
  • Total Fish Count:many
  • Referred By:the gravitational force that shrouds UB
  • Statement:luchamos por la liberación de los bettas! Las viva bettas

Posted 17 April 2011 - 11:51 AM

i see, the article i was reading was incorrect, they were documenting the first appearence of the giant line in shows, and the breeding lines it took. so whats the true size of giants? now im reading that they are only a little bit bigger, jeez there doesnt seem to be any good online refrence.
I have seen this question 3 times before on differnt sites and it always turned into a fight over if king betta were indeed betta splendid and petco just coined the name king betta to make it sound nice ORRR if by king betta they were selling Betta Raja.

Edited by dimidiata, 17 April 2011 - 11:55 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq