#1 ThatsMuchBetta!

ThatsMuchBetta!

Wiggler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
  • Betta Count:2
  • Total Fish Count:6
  • Statement:Fish are the only pets allowed in my apartment...

Posted 11 April 2011 - 08:23 AM

Hello,

Recently I moved my fishtank and during transport one of my fish got sick. It happened really quickly over the last few days and now he's covered in white fuzzy dots and he's very slimy. He's laying sideways at the bottom of the tank and I dont think he's going to last much longer. I was just wondering how to tell the difference between ich and a fungus and how you would treat each of them? I'd take a picture but I don't have my camer with me. Also, I have another fish who has white spots as well, but he also has them on his eyes. I'm going to head to walmart later today and get some stuff, but i'm not quite sure what to get. Help!

Thanks

#2 sammisweet

sammisweet

Biololololologist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
  • Betta Count:7
  • Statement:<3

Posted 11 April 2011 - 03:29 PM

If it's fuzzy then it's generally a fungus. If the white spots are small, generally uniform and bear resemblance to grains of salt then it is ich. Ich tends to be irritating to the fish so they tend to dart around, trying to itch themselves on the gravel and the ornaments in the tank as well.

For Ich I generally treat using a product that has malachite green. It's also important to remove carbon filters and to keep to the treatment regime on the bottle as only some life stages of the protozoan are susceptible to treatment (particularly the free swimming one after the parasite has dropped off the fish).

For white-fuzzy spots, which definitely sounds like a fungus though pics would be nice to be sure, then an anti-fungal treatment ALONG WITH good husbandry (frequent water changes with warm water with aquarium salt) are necessary. I don't know the specific active compounds for fungal treatments.

#3 Stars

Stars

Sushi is delicious.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,235 posts
  • Betta Count:Hamlet
  • Total Fish Count:1
  • Referred By:Aquarank
  • Statement:I see no evil, hear no evil, speak no evil.

Posted 11 April 2011 - 05:24 PM

Please fill this outto help us offer you a better answer and suggests to preventing in the future.

I would not jump the guns and say its fungus just because its white and fuzzy. True fungus infections are extremely rare (unless its secondary), fungus can only survive on dying or dead cells. In order for fish to get a fungus infection, there need to be an open wound of some sort. Fungus cannot just attack healthy cells and rarely would appear all over the fish unless its extremely sick.

White fuzzy, cotton like spots and strings are more like Columnaris which is a bacteria. Here is a reference picture you can use.

There is also a chance it could be Saprolegnia, a real fungus but is always a secondary infection that feeds of wounds and dying cells. They are super common and always exist in water. They are appear as white patches of fuzz on tails or areas that was once wounded/teared. Here is a reference picture.

Check out this article for cure for both. Identify what is, don't try to treat for both.

Ich appears as if your fish was sprinkled by salt. Here is a reference picture, your betta should be scratching against decoration and have clamped fins.

Check out this site for more information on treatment and pictures. I just want to add other medication such as Quick Cure, Jungle's Ich Clear and API's General Cure will also work. Do not use salt with Quickcure and Formalin as they are not compatible together.

Without a picture I cannot tell you exactly what it is, use the reference pictures and try your best to diagnose it. Make sure you are providing enough water changes, temperature and proper diet for your betta. :)

#4 ThatsMuchBetta!

ThatsMuchBetta!

Wiggler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
  • Betta Count:2
  • Total Fish Count:6
  • Statement:Fish are the only pets allowed in my apartment...

Posted 13 April 2011 - 01:55 PM

Thanks for your very detailed responses! Unfortunately my betta died, and I'm going to assume that it was ich since my other betta who is still living has been scraching against rocks and darting around. I did get some treatment stuff at walmart, where selection is fairly limited. It's an ich treatment with victoria green and nitromersol. I think it was too late for treatment with my other betta, but it's helped a lot with Henry. He still has a few white spots on his fins but one of his eye spots has disappeared.

Edited by ThatsMuchBetta!, 13 April 2011 - 01:56 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq