18 replies to this topic

#1 Slipstitch

Slipstitch

Fry

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts
  • Betta Count:13
  • Total Fish Count:No way of knowing. Yay fry!
  • Referred By:The Internet
  • Statement:Bunnies.

Posted 21 March 2011 - 08:33 AM

Okay, so essentially I went to pick up "a few free guppy fry" and was given a container(1 gallon in size). Got home and looked into said container to find absolute chaos. The only fish I've kept up until this point are bettas and otocinclus, I've researched them both fairly heavily, but am at a loss when it comes to some of the new fish. The container held 1 dragonfish/violet goby, a pleco, 10 adult guppies, about 30 mixed guppy and swordtail fry(at least I think they're sword tails...), 5 mollies, and what I -think- is an adult swordtail female. I can't really rehome any of them(don't know anyone who wants fish and don't want to hand them off to strangers that might treat them like crap). I know that I'm going to need at LEAST a 100 gallon tank(going to build one). Idk why this person chose to do this... But whatever the reason, I have a bunch of fish that confuse me. The main issue is the dragon fish. He(she?) is about 6 inches long and terribly cute. I've tried looking up info, but can't seem to actually find anything that explains the care of them(how does salinity work?!). Currently these fish are housed in a 30 gallon clear plastic tote from walmart with 2 heaters(each meant for 15 gallons, so far they're keeping the water a stable 78) and a 30 gallon filter. I have gravel in it because I read that they apparently scoop up mouthfulls of gravel to sift food from it and a couple of ghost shrimp. The other fish are currently in said tank as well(except the female guppies) and so far are coexisting decently. Anyway, I suppose the point of this is that I need to know how to actually take care of this little dude. All I know is that they need water, gravel, and a huge tank size that I'll later be doing the math for in order to build a tank of the appropriate size. Any and all information that people more experienced than me would like to share is completely welcome. Thanks.

#2 Stars

Stars

Sushi is delicious.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,235 posts
  • Betta Count:Hamlet
  • Total Fish Count:1
  • Referred By:Aquarank
  • Statement:I see no evil, hear no evil, speak no evil.

Posted 21 March 2011 - 09:02 PM

Check out this link

Looks like you will need 3 tsp per 1 gallon of water if not more. I am not familiar with them but they seem to enjoy worms and frozen foods. Good luck :)

#3 Slipstitch

Slipstitch

Fry

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 09:14 PM

Thank you! All I could find was stuff saying they need a salinity of some number, but not how many tsp of salt per gallon. So frustrating! Although, if they need that much salt I may have to get Bunny a seperate home. Don't think the guppies or pleco will like that much salt, lol

#4 Slipstitch

Slipstitch

Fry

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 09:33 PM

Okay... Apparently guppies don't care. Never mind. O.o

#5 Saucy

Saucy

Spread the love

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,833 posts
  • Betta Count:3
  • Total Fish Count:TONS
  • Referred By:BettaMomma!!
  • Statement:"The measure of a society can be how well its people treat its animals." ~ Gandhi

Posted 21 March 2011 - 09:38 PM

I just want to jump in and say that I hope you aren't just using aquarium salt and that you're going to need far more than 3tsp per gallon. That's not what he needs. You're going to need marine salt and to get yourself a hygrometer so you can measure your salinity. They don't do well in freshwater longterm. You'll probably want to transfer him to a true brackish tank within the next month or so. He'll be a LOT happier.
  • VelvetDragon likes this

#6 Slipstitch

Slipstitch

Fry

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 10:15 PM

I just want to jump in and say that I hope you aren't just using aquarium salt and that you're going to need far more than 3tsp per gallon. That's not what he needs. You're going to need marine salt and to get yourself a hygrometer so you can measure your salinity. They don't do well in freshwater longterm. You'll probably want to transfer him to a true brackish tank within the next month or so. He'll be a LOT happier.

Will aquarium salt be fine for a couple days until I can get to a place that will sell me marine salt? Also, anything else you can tell me? It's seeming like there isn't very much info on them at all and I really want to give each of my fish the home they deserve. Tomorrow I'm going to start the terrifying process of cleaning out the basement so I can move all my stuff(tanks included) down there(don't worry, the basement is VERY well heated!)and at that point I'm going to be building a tank that will hold my dragon fish and if the guppies and mollies and swordtails are supposed to be brackish/saltwater, it will house them too. Right now I'm kind of stressing about what each of them needs and where I can find solid info on each that will explain things to me in stupid terms, lol. I really only know anything about bettas at all. Everything else has me at a loss. Most of all Bunny.

#7 Slipstitch

Slipstitch

Fry

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 10:22 PM

Oh yeah. HAVE to get a real tank soon. >.< The tote I'm using atm(30 gallons) is hard to see into at night and the sides bow out so I have the lid on it with the gap covered by a towel. Went to check on Bunny and when I lifted the towel, he jumped out at me. o.o' He seems to enjoy doing things that make me scream, lol. Like flying for my face when I least expect it! O.O' I have no issues picking him up or anything like that, but it's still startling!

#8 Solitarianknight

Solitarianknight

Formerly known as dimidiata

• Members
  • 4,255 posts
  • Betta Count:2
  • Total Fish Count:many
  • Referred By:the gravitational force that shrouds UB
  • Statement:luchamos por la liberación de los bettas! Las viva bettas

Posted 24 March 2011 - 07:06 PM

so hows it coming along. I wish i could help with sexing but unless you can tell where the palpia is between the anus and anal fin i cant. These guys just get huge, i was actually planning on getting one if i ever got a 100gal tank or so, just 1 or 2 +some mollies and other brakish fish.

#9 Slipstitch

Slipstitch

Fry

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 25 March 2011 - 09:24 AM

So far so good. It doesn't even seem interested in killing me anymore(lol). He seems to have gotten used to his space so far... Looking foreward to getting him into a real tank though. Sorry I didn't do any updates on him recently, just been kind of running around all crazylike.

#10 Synirr

Synirr

Sanity and happiness are an impossible combination.

• Root Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,904 posts
  • Betta Count:Some
  • Total Fish Count:Lots

Posted 25 March 2011 - 12:53 PM

Another good site for violet dragon goby info

Housing all these fish together in the same tank is going to be problematic.
First off, the pleco (do you know what kind he is, BTW?) is not going to appreciate brackish water, so if you're going to house the rest in a brackish setup you will have to find different housing for him. For a brackish setup, you will need to use marine salt like Saucy said, and you'll need a hydrometer to measure salinity. Make sure it is one that includes low range SG, since some hydrometers only include the higher ranges relevant to saltwater setups. The guppies and mollies will do great in brackish, but swordtails aren't often found in brackish waters in the wild and won't tolerate a salinity much higher than 1.005. Ideal range for the dragon goby is about 1.006-1.008. Personally I would house the swordtails separately, but if you wish to keep them all together I would stick with running the salinity a little on the low side, around 1.004-1.005, and acclimate everyone to the brackish environment slowly.

#11 Slipstitch

Slipstitch

Fry

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 26 March 2011 - 01:55 AM

The pleco is currently living with one of my betta boys(10 gallon tank, I know it's too small, I plan on getting this actually set up well before it get's bigger). I'm not quite sure what to do with the sword tails... I've read that they tend to be nippy, so I don't want to house them with the bettas, but I really don't like them enough to keep a tank just for them. I may be seeing what I can do about rehoming the female and the fry. I've actually considered rehoming rabbit, to be honest... I just don't know that I'm really up to managing brakish water yet(I only started studying fish(primarily bettas) a month or two ago. I'm feeling rather overwhelmed). Plus... he kind of scares me. As in having trouble with water changes because he looks like he wants to take a bit out of my hand, lol. It probably wouldn't be so bad if he hadn't launched himself at my face from the other side of the tank when I opened the lid, but the teeth really don't help. He's pretty, and I've always kind of liked them, but this particular dragonfish scares me. I know they aren't supposed to be agressive... but idk. I'm kind of a chicken, lol. This isn't to say I won't care for him as best as possible, either, just me babbling I suppose.

#12 Solitarianknight

Solitarianknight

Formerly known as dimidiata

• Members
  • 4,255 posts
  • Betta Count:2
  • Total Fish Count:many
  • Referred By:the gravitational force that shrouds UB
  • Statement:luchamos por la liberación de los bettas! Las viva bettas

Posted 26 March 2011 - 07:50 AM

If you want to rehome rabbit you should try to find a responsible fish keeper who can take care of him. Might i suggest that you try to poke around the MonsterFishkeeper forum, lots people with big brakish tanks im sure alot of them have gobies aswell.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq