16 replies to this topic

#1 taquitos_

taquitos_

Egg

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 17 March 2011 - 10:09 AM

This is Haku, I've had him for around a year now. I took some photos so that you guys could help me ID him...

Sorry about the blue water, he's being treated for fin rot right now (his medicine dyes the water blue :|)... The person who was supposed to care for him while I was gone on holiday was a bit negligent about changing the water...

Posted Image

Posted Image

#2 ~KK~

~KK~

Kritter Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,396 posts
  • Betta Count:None atm
  • Statement:My life is a zoo, and I love it!

Posted 17 March 2011 - 10:28 AM

yup! he's a VT :)

#3 taquitos_

taquitos_

Egg

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 17 March 2011 - 10:31 AM

yup! he's a VT :)

Thanks, and any idea on the color?

#4 Big Red

Big Red

Sexy Vixen

• Members
  • 1,616 posts
  • Betta Count:2
  • Total Fish Count:2
  • Referred By:No one
  • Statement:Impossible? Things are happening everyday!

Posted 17 March 2011 - 11:51 AM

He's a pale yellow with some turquoise wash and pineapple scaling.

#5 C M

C M

Advocate for the underdogs of pet rescue

• Members
  • 1,347 posts
  • Betta Count:Three
  • Total Fish Count:Three

Posted 17 March 2011 - 02:36 PM

He's pretty, I love the turquoise coloring on him with the yellow.

I'm not sure what medication you are using, but for fin rot alone (assuming there are no bacterial infections or parasites as well) warm, clean water and a aquarium salt added to the water help immensely.

Edited by C M, 17 March 2011 - 02:37 PM.

#6 Stars

Stars

Sushi is delicious.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,235 posts
  • Betta Count:Hamlet
  • Total Fish Count:1
  • Referred By:Aquarank
  • Statement:I see no evil, hear no evil, speak no evil.

Posted 17 March 2011 - 08:11 PM

He is beautiful <3 He looks just like my late Frosty. I actually don't see any signs of finrot?

Edited by stardust6886, 17 March 2011 - 08:11 PM.

#7 LouisaMaeBrown

LouisaMaeBrown

UltimateBettas Veteran

• Elite Member
  • 7,745 posts
  • Betta Count:Ever changing :)
  • Referred By:internet search
  • Statement:I am NOT addicted!.... okay, maybe I am, a little.

Posted 17 March 2011 - 08:49 PM

He's cute! :)

#8 taquitos_

taquitos_

Egg

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 17 March 2011 - 10:12 PM

The medication I'm using is Aquarium Solutions' Betta Revive.

I've always been told that on paler bettas reddish dots/edging that hadn't been there before is a sign of fin rot. I've been medicating him for a couple of days now so the irritation seems to have gone down... Maybe I was being paranoid, but I had noticed that his anal fin was looking a little shorter than usual, so I put a few drops in just in case >_>

Is that bad? :|

I've never really been taught proper care for bettas, so hopefully I'm not doing anything wrong? D:

#9 Stars

Stars

Sushi is delicious.

• Members
  • 4,235 posts
  • Betta Count:Hamlet
  • Total Fish Count:1
  • Referred By:Aquarank
  • Statement:I see no evil, hear no evil, speak no evil.

Posted 17 March 2011 - 11:34 PM

The medication I'm using is Aquarium Solutions' Betta Revive.

I've always been told that on paler bettas reddish dots/edging that hadn't been there before is a sign of fin rot. I've been medicating him for a couple of days now so the irritation seems to have gone down... Maybe I was being paranoid, but I had noticed that his anal fin was looking a little shorter than usual, so I put a few drops in just in case >_>

Is that bad? :|

I've never really been taught proper care for bettas, so hopefully I'm not doing anything wrong? D:

Well, for starters most products that says "something Betta cure, revive, one in all, yadda yadda treatment just for Betta" do not work. The reason they advertise it with names like revive, cure and Betta is to target consumers that are not familiar with real medication. Good anti-bacteria medication include: API's Furan-2, API's Triple Sulfa, Maracyn 1 or 2 and if used properly, Jungle's Fungus Clear. They are listed from most expensive and effective to easy on the wallet and relatively effective.

Reddish Edging sometimes is finrot, but sometimes its regrowth of the fins because many betta contain the red gene. If your betta's fins are being eaten away and he is inactive, lying at the bottom and obviously sick than yes, medicate. But try not to unless your sure because any chemical that goes through your fish has to come out. His liver and other vital organs has to process them and break them down which stresses him when medicated for long periods of time if its not needed. Of course, in extreme cases, it can lead to organ failure.

I filter/water change the medication out unless he really needs it. :)

Edited by stardust6886, 17 March 2011 - 11:36 PM.

#10 taquitos_

taquitos_

Egg

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 18 March 2011 - 08:40 AM

Well, for starters most products that says "something Betta cure, revive, one in all, yadda yadda treatment just for Betta" do not work. The reason they advertise it with names like revive, cure and Betta is to target consumers that are not familiar with real medication. Good anti-bacteria medication include: API's Furan-2, API's Triple Sulfa, Maracyn 1 or 2 and if used properly, Jungle's Fungus Clear. They are listed from most expensive and effective to easy on the wallet and relatively effective.

Reddish Edging sometimes is finrot, but sometimes its regrowth of the fins because many betta contain the red gene. If your betta's fins are being eaten away and he is inactive, lying at the bottom and obviously sick than yes, medicate. But try not to unless your sure because any chemical that goes through your fish has to come out. His liver and other vital organs has to process them and break them down which stresses him when medicated for long periods of time if its not needed. Of course, in extreme cases, it can lead to organ failure.

I filter/water change the medication out unless he really needs it. :)

Thank you so much! I'm so glad I found this forum! I'm going to go and change his water right now. He's as lively as ever (whenever I come near the tank he will start doing a type of "dance" while staring at me from the glass) so perhaps it isn't fin rot then ^_^

Next time when I go visit the fish store I'll go pick some of that medicine up while purchasing my new tank~

#11 Solitarianknight

Solitarianknight

Formerly known as dimidiata

• Members
  • 4,253 posts
  • Betta Count:2
  • Total Fish Count:many
  • Referred By:the gravitational force that shrouds UB
  • Statement:luchamos por la liberación de los bettas! Las viva bettas

Posted 18 March 2011 - 05:21 PM

VT awsome, i would also pick up some aquarium salt, this is one of the only and most used meds you will need. he doesnt appear to have finrot. Love his colors VT RULE!!!!!!

#12 taquitos_

taquitos_

Egg

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 05:05 PM

VT awsome, i would also pick up some aquarium salt, this is one of the only and most used meds you will need. he doesnt appear to have finrot. Love his colors VT RULE!!!!!!

Yeah I'm picking up the aquarium salt and the medicine while I'm at the store in a few days ^_^ I'm getting a new 10 gal. for my boy too that day :D

I think more people should appreciate VTs ^_^ I know they're not as fancy looking as the crowntails or the half moons... but my Haku is so handsome, I named him after the boy/magician/dragon in Spirited Away :D When I went to the fish store to pick out a new betta, they showed me a bunch of beautiful half moons... My sister ended up purchasing one of the fancier ones, but I saw little Haku and I fell in loooove ^_^ He wasn't as feisty as the other guys, so I was afraid that maybe he'd be a bit sickly, but it just turns out he's much more docile than my previous betta XD

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq