C M

Advocate for the underdogs of pet rescue

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,347 posts
  • Betta Count:Three
  • Total Fish Count:Three

Posted 09 February 2011 - 04:54 PM

I love Oscars for their personalities but also they're appearance. Unfortunately it will probably be awhile before I can adopt one since they are so large. I recently saw some male Powder blue Dwarf Gouramis at a fish store and thought they were really pretty, and also saw that stay around 3.5" in size. I keep reading conflicting information on them, and I figure there has to be some experienced people here who keep or have kept them who can answer my questions accurately.

Are they a peaceful fish? Most sites I've seen have said they are peaceful to other species, but one said they are aggressive.

I have read that tank mates can include male or female fancy guppies, clown plecos, other gouramis if in a large space, glo danios, platys, and female bettas (I'm not sure why not male plakats if it's a fin issue). Are any of these appropriate tank mates, and what other species can be housed with them generally?

What is their personality with people like, one site said they are actually quite skittish in general (I'm more into fish that are more outgoing and like to interact with people; hence a big part of my love for Bettas and Oscars)?

#2 kelly528

kelly528

Goldfish Gangsta

• Members
  • 2,411 posts
  • Betta Count:Just Jimi.

Posted 09 February 2011 - 04:59 PM

They're quite like bettas, and are not usually aggressive unless someone comes near their bubblenest or they are harassing a female. For this reason I suggest that you keep them with at least 2 females for every male (I had to do 3). The guys really are wifebeaters and if you leave them with only one female, my experience is that they will chase them around tirelessly until the female dies of stress/exhaustion.
  • C M likes this

#3 Reno

Reno

Fry

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts
  • Referred By:Just found it

Posted 09 February 2011 - 05:47 PM

I have to say that my dwarf gourami pair were very skittish. I kept them in a 29 gallon community tank with platies and cory cats. I had a large fake driftwood piece in the tank and my male hid in it most of the time. I never noticed him chasing my female and I felt they were very good community fish just pretty shy. Mine were dwarf flame gouramis.

#4 C M

C M

• Members
  • 1,347 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 08:38 PM

Thank you for the tip Kelly, I wasn't sure if they were like Bettas in that they couldn't be kept with others of the same sex, do they need to have females to feel comfortable? If possible I wouldn't want to risk stressing females too much.

#5 Jun

Jun

spotty spikey ninja fish

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 526 posts
  • Betta Count:5
  • Total Fish Count:25
  • Statement:I'm not a pessimist; I'm a realist who lives in a world that sucks.

Posted 11 February 2011 - 03:47 PM

Dwarf gouramis are like bettas in that their personalities vary greatly. I kept a species tank for quite a while with three males and six females. The three males ranged from highly personable and outgoing to shy and hiding to aggressive and overbearing. The females on the other hand were all quite shy and dainty.

Females are not necessary, but if you plan on keeping more than one male, think of them like female bettas and the larger the group to spread them out is better.

If you're interested in personable, attractive fish and wouldn't mind doing a bit more looking, I would definitely suggest Bolivian rams. They are a very hardy, interactive cichlid that doesn't get more than about 3.5 inches in length. They aren't as brightly coloured as they cousins, the German ram, but when comfortable in their tank they show a vast array of yellows and hints of red and blue. :) In my experience, they are generally peaceful to other species as long as they don't disturb a clutch of eggs.

They certainly don't have a very oscar-y look but they do have that "big" cichlid personality!

Edited by Jun, 11 February 2011 - 04:00 PM.

#6 C M

C M

• Members
  • 1,347 posts

Posted 16 February 2011 - 01:22 AM

Thank you for all the information, Jun. I do love fish with a lot of personality and that are interactive with people. If I do end up going with dwarf gouramis at some point I'll probably go to the fish rescue that's about an hour's drive from here and see if they have any adults (they do unfortunately get a lot of oscars, but not sure when I'll be able to set up that large of a tank).

#7 J Miller Lite

J Miller Lite

Respect the Penguin

• Elite Member
  • 1,344 posts
  • Betta Count:1 Male
  • Total Fish Count:No idea anymore
  • Referred By:Google
  • Statement:Remember, we are all unique...just like everybody else.

Posted 17 February 2011 - 06:15 AM

I recently lost mine, and it was a big shame cause he was more personable than almost all the bettas I've ever met.

I just had him, some black neon tetras and a syno petricola in a planted 10 gallon. He didn't pick on anyone, noticed immediately when someone entered the room and he would actually kinda wave back with his antennae if you start waving at him first. My desk is near the tank and he would end up staring at whatever I was doing, a bit unnerving turning and seeing this fish just STARING holes into you! Haha. Honestly I think they show more personality when there's less of them than more.

Though it's always pretty amusing seeing a tank full of Pearl Gouramis notice you and all spread their "arms" wide and slowly swim in your direction in unison...XD

#8 C M

C M

• Members
  • 1,347 posts

Posted 18 February 2011 - 08:45 PM

I'm sorry for your loss, it sounds like he was quite the character. The swimming toward you in unison sounds quite amusing, I would love to see that.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq