Egg

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
  • Betta Count:0
  • Total Fish Count:50+
  • Statement:Hey look more guppy babies!

Posted 05 February 2011 - 02:55 PM

Ok so heres the deal, I am getting a new 90 gallon tank.
I have a 20 gal nano that will be pushed off to the side and used as a Q-tank, but its current occupants will be going into the 90, along with the rocks and corals i allready have.
I currently have
a CuC of snails and hermits
2 peppermint shrimp
2 false percula Clowns
1 Orange spotted goby
and his burrow buddy the tiger pistol shrimp. My wife really loves the shrimp and goby! and the clowns.
Now moving up to a 90 with a sump and refugium i know i can add some more. In time i want a Green mandarin, and maybe some chromis, perhaps a yellow tail damsel, or an engineer goby. I will eventually have a clam and plenty of corals in there as well.
What are some possible fish to add to this group, to me more smaller fish is better than less big fish.
The tank is on order, im just looking for ideas on what to add to my plans.
Thanks

#2 Etcetera

Etcetera

Alpha Betta

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,318 posts
  • Betta Count:6
  • Statement:It is much easier to be critical than it is to be correct.

Posted 05 February 2011 - 04:33 PM

I think you should reconsider the mandarin dragonet. So, so, so many of these fish die because it's very difficult to meet their dietary needs.. they eat almost exclusively copepods and are unlikely to take prepared foods. If you're serious about having one of these fish, look into how to culture your own copepods so that your fish will always have a consistent source of food. As for other stocking ideas, you should look into a nice blenny--I like lawnmowers, but bi-colors are beautiful too. Dwarf angelfish are lovely also, and coral beauties aren't very expensive. Royal gramma are also small, but they're very brightly colored, and will do well in a community. Oh, and firefish gobies are always a favorite.

Edited by Etcetera, 05 February 2011 - 04:38 PM.

• Nelson likes this

#3 polahbear

polahbear

Egg

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 05 February 2011 - 06:41 PM

All my research points to the mandarin needing at least a 75 gallon, ill have the same footprint, plus a refugium for producing pods, and i know to wait for the pod population to get good numbers anyway. The mandarin is the fish i know i want, and many of the designs of my tank is to meat its needs. Don't get me wrong, I'm not buying the mandarin on a whim, if I can't produce enough pods in my set-up I know where i can get a steady supply.
I heard that many dwarf angels are coral nippers so i really haven't looked into them yet, but I can definatly start digging up info on them. The royal gramma and firefish are good ideas more too.
Now would the royal gramma, firefish, and a coral beauty coexist with my clowns and my orangespot goby?

#4 Etcetera

Etcetera

Alpha Betta

• Members
  • 1,318 posts
  • Betta Count:6
  • Statement:It is much easier to be critical than it is to be correct.

Posted 05 February 2011 - 06:55 PM

They should all be fine with the goby, even aggressive fish tend to ignore them. The clownfish I've experienced vary greatly--a couple of them in my boyfriend's tank are completely passive, and rather skittish, while the one in my brother's tank is very territorial and aggressive. He's a mean little bugger, and if you put your hand in the tank, he will do whatever he can to bite it off, lol. That clownfish has also been a suspect in the deaths of at least one chromis and a six-line wrasse (another possible tankmate for your setup!). I think it has to do with whether your clowns are captive or wild, and whether or not they've been kept solitary. I think that particular clownfish's beef is with the fact that he was alone in that tank for a very long time, and feels the need to defend it all. As with all setups you have to put the individuality of the fish into context, but generally, all of those fish are small, tolerant of one another, and seen as pretty easy to keep. As for the dwarf angel, there is a risk of coral nipping, but that will be minimized if you keep it well-fed. It's such a pretty fish, easy to keep, and so reasonably priced, it's worth considering. :)

Edited by Etcetera, 05 February 2011 - 07:10 PM.

#5 polahbear

polahbear

Egg

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 06 February 2011 - 02:40 PM

Thats good to know,
I know i have seen some clowns that are more aggressive, but my pair are still small and Tank bred, they are very friendly with the shrimps and the goby, though the goby doesn't like it if they get too close to his den. Its funny to watch the clowns, I don't have an anenome, because i know that my tank is not set up to provide an ideal living condition for them. But i do have a feather duster, and the clowns host in it. At night they cuddle up in its feathers to sleep. The worm doesn't seem to mind too much, though it did retract into the tube at the beginning.
I can't wait to get this tank and start setting up my rocks, my current setup has rocks that are very secure, but my pistol shrimp has tunneled under the entire tank, and he pops out from anywhere, next time ill be sure to have 2-3 separate secure rock formations so other critters get lairs as well.

#6 J Miller Lite

J Miller Lite

Respect the Penguin

• Elite Member
  • 1,344 posts
  • Betta Count:1 Male
  • Total Fish Count:No idea anymore
  • Referred By:Google
  • Statement:Remember, we are all unique...just like everybody else.

Posted 08 February 2011 - 06:23 PM

I definitely second Royal Gramma and Firefish! I know they both get along with false perculas because my sis has a gramma and clown and I have the firefish and clown in our respective nanos.

The yellow tail damsel is definitely another good one, they're one of the most passive damsels you can get and don't get very large either. You don't get many small fish that vibrant blue ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq