amethyst

Alpha Betta

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,160 posts
  • Betta Count:0
  • Total Fish Count:An ever-changing number
  • Referred By:Carmenellie
  • Statement:All is well, all is well, and all manner of things is well.

Posted 25 December 2010 - 03:58 AM

Miracle is still doing well. She/he is turning blue toward the back of her/his body and tail, and still looks female, but I've learned since my last post that guppy anal fins differentiate later, like they do with platys and mollies, so I really can't tell the gender yet. I think I may be seeing a bit of gravid spot, but it may just be a blue edge on a lower fin. Miracle hasn't grown a lot since I put the fry back into the community tank 16 days ago, and is still only about 1/2" long at 3 wks+, which is significantly smaller than my other fry were at the same age. I think it is probably due to the first couple of days alone with no food but what could be found in brown filter gunk, and moving back to the community tank less than 2 weeks later. However, she/he is swimming in the open a lot more, frequently following one of the fry that were 1/2" or more two weeks ago. Those two, who are 2/3" - 3/4" now, also have the blue coloring in their tails and back end of their bodies, and one has a definite gravid spot. The other doesn't appear to have a gravid spot, so I think he's male, though the anal fin hasn't differentiated yet. The one I think is male has a lighter blue tail, almost aqua, and one of them (can't remember which at the moment) has the beginnings of a couple of dark spots on the tail. Fortunately, since I'm not deliberately breeding, their parantage doesn't matter, since the coloring doesn't help much. Three of my females have blue tails, two black swirls and spots on their tails, but with mostly silver bodies. The other, Madame Bleu, has blue starting just behind her gravid spot and a solid blue tail. One of my 2 males is a "turquoise tux" type, but the back half of his body and his tail are so dark they look black most of the time and dark blue sometimes, depending on lighting. The only place he ever looks turquoise is in front of his dark areas, where he has an iridescent turquoise "wash" on his back and sides if the light is just right. He could be the father of any of these three fry, or my other male, an orange and black tux, could have fathered them on any of the bluer females.

My older two guppy juveniles are over an inch long now, and are definitely a male and a female. They are the offspring of Pepper, who has an orange tail with black spots. I know that because of her behavior the day before as compared to the day I found them in the tank. She's not very big, and she was very lethargic for about 24 hours, not eating and hiding under plants and behind the heater. Then all of the sudden I had (at least) 6 babies and she was actively swimming and demanding food! By now I would suspect her as the mom anyway, because the male looks just like her, except he also has a yellow spot right in the middle of the base of his tail, whereas her tail is all orange with black spots. He's starting to follow and dance around the bigger fry, molly as well as guppy. The female's tail is orange with black spots in the top 1/3, with a yellowish area below that. The bottom 1/2 or so of her tail is silver, at least for now. I haven't decided on names for them yet. I've thought of naming the boy Harry, because I went to school with a Harry Pepper once. (Dr. Pepper and Sargent Pepper are already taken, by my two peppered cories.)

My molly fry, whom I acquired free from a LFS when they were very tiny, are about the same size as the two bigger blue guppy fry. They were listed as white lyretail mollies, though I've seen very similar fish listed as silver lyretails at another LFS. Of my two, one is more silver (Moonbeam), and the other is almost pure white (Pearl). At the store listing these fish as silver, the males were more silver and the females more white. So far, there is no definite anal fin differentiation, and no sign of the lyretail shape, but based on what I've seen I'm thinking the white one is female and the more silvery one is male. We'll see.

My 5 platy juveniles are all developing nicely. They are all between 5 and 10 days past two months. The biggest, Sonny for now, is a dark orange mickey mouse platy born in my tank on or around 10/13/10 (when he was first noticed). He is now more than half the length of the two female platys of the same coloring, and about half the length of the orange and white platy female. Not sure who the mom is, but I think it's one of the solids, since he is solid, and his body shape is more like theirs. The other 4 are acquisitions from a LFS. I got them to keep Sonny company when he was a few days old and still the only fry in the tank. (If there were others, they were eaten within hours of birth, because I never saw any others, and he was quite noticeable, about 1/2" long and very gold.) The smallest, Pretty Boy, is now about an inch long, and is an orange and red sunburst. He was an early developing male, and for several weeks I thought he was my only male. He is getting stronger and swimming to the top more, but he still hangs out on leaves or rocks frequently. I doubt if he'll ever be strong enough to challenge Sonny for female attention, which is just as well because I don't want him hurt. The other three have orange faces, bellies, and fins, with black/metallic gold sides. There are about 1" to 1 1/4" long. One is definitely male, and is occasionally chased by Sonny, but nothing serious. One of the females is named Sally, because when she was younger her anal fin and dorsal fin were both sharply pointed triangles that reminded me of sails. The dorsal fin is starting to elongate at the top to resemble a hi-top platy. She's really pretty. The other female, who has a little black in her dorsal fin, was more yellow than orange, and I had named her Goldilocks. Now she's about as orange as the rest, though, so I don't know what I'll end up calling her.

#2 glasshaven

glasshaven

Halfmoon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 763 posts
  • Betta Count:20+
  • Total Fish Count:LOL
  • Referred By:Google/Facebook

Posted 30 October 2011 - 09:54 AM

It really sounds like you have a great group!

#3 amethyst

amethyst

Alpha Betta

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,160 posts
  • Betta Count:0
  • Total Fish Count:An ever-changing number
  • Referred By:Carmenellie
  • Statement:All is well, all is well, and all manner of things is well.

Posted 11 November 2011 - 04:10 AM

It really sounds like you have a great group!

Well, I HAD a great group. This topic started over a year ago, so these babies have all been grown up for a long time. Sonny, the oldest of the platies and the first of my fry to grow up in my tank, and Rhett, the male neon black platy bothed lived long enough to father some fry, but both have since died for unknown reasons. Sigh. Their fry have grown up and most have gone to a local pet store. The other three fry from the pet store are still alive, and at least one of the females has had babies. They probably both have, since I have found babies with the neon black scales without knowing whose they were. The other male never got very big, and has never been very strong. I think he's sterile, since I've had no fry from him. I kept a male from an unrelated female's drop, and he's in the community tank with all the adult females now. I also have several other females, including a blue mickey mouse and an orange mickey mouse with a plume tail who were both pregnant when I got them, so I'm now raising those babies.

Miracle also died, along with Pepper and her two offspring and several other fish, mostly guppies, during an outbreak of camallanus worms late last winter. The mollies grew up, a male and a female, and the female has had two more drops, each time with only two babies. The original male died for unknown reasons, so I currently have the original female, a half-grown daughter and son, and another 2 daughters that are still pretty small. I've separated out the male so that they don't keep interbreeding, and I'll get an unrelated male later on, when I have tank space for molly fry. At the moment I have about 65 swordtail fry spread between 2 20g longs and a 29g, half a dozen platy fry in a 10g, about 10 or 12 guppy fry from 3 drops, different ages. The female fry are in one 10g, the older males are in another 10g with three adult males, and the younger males are in a 14g with 9 neon tetras.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq