Attn: Owners of Sick Fish
Posted 02 December 2006 - 03:26 PM
So, when you post, please be so kind as to include the following:
- A detailed description of the symptoms, and if possible, photographs. This should include any and all changes in appearence, behavior, feeding habits, activity levels, coloration, etc. no matter how insignificant it may seem to you. While the big open sore or rotted fins may be the most obvious symptom, the subtle nuances in the betta's looks and behavior are often the most diagnostic.
- Your current water stats. At the very least, every post should include the ammonia, nitrate, and nitrite at the time you noticed the illness. If possible, also include pH, hardness, and alkalinity. The number one catalyst of health problems in fish is water quality problems! This does NOT mean you are a bad fishkeeper, so please do not hold back from posting if you find out the ammonia was a bit too high, or the hardness in your area is off the charts. What is most important is having the information needed for diagnosis, treatment, and of course - prevention!
- A description of your typical husbandry practices. Again, if you've goofed up, it's OK; we just want to know how to diagnose your fish and prevent future illnesses. Include tank size, tank temp, filtration/aeration (if any), frequency of cleaning, water additives used after water changes, feeding (type and frequency), tank mates (if any), etc. You get the idea - there is no such thing as too much information!
- Any relevant information about your betta's past health problems, if applicable. Many betta health problems appear to go away, but re-surface in times of stress. It is helpful to know about any medical history that could have compromised your fish's long-term health, such as a bad parasitic infection or a brush with columnaris. Fish who get sick often may have underlying conditions that can be determined by a good history.
- Finally, anything you've done so far to treat the fish's illness, if applicable. We need to know what steps you've allready taken so they can be encouraged if correct, discouraged if incorrect, or instituted if not done at all. Also, some medications can cause additional health problems, particularly if the suspected illness was incorrect, so knowing what you've done so far could help us figure out what is side effects and what is illness.
Thanks so much in advance for your cooperation! By helping us, we can help your fish!
- hvincent, LilGreenPuffer, shecreature and 1 other like this
Posted 05 July 2009 - 07:55 AM
We Need This Info For a Prompt Diagnosis!
Having to wait for the info wastes valuable time that could be spent saving your fish's life.
PLEASE always include the info requested in this thread in your posts.
To help, below is a question/information outline. Just copy and paste the text in your post, and then answer as many of the questions as you can.
Time you noticed the illness:
Frequency of Tank Cleaning:
Feeding (food type/frequency):
Any treatment so far and when:
List any past health problems:
- hvincent, LilGreenPuffer and kenkimura1002 like this
Posted 07 December 2009 - 09:24 AM
PLEASE USE THIS FOR A PROMPT DIAGNOSIS. Time wasted asking for this info is time that could be healing your fish!
- kenkimura1002 likes this
0 user(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users