2 replies to this topic

#1 RandomWiktor

RandomWiktor

I put the "fun" in fundamentalist!

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,485 posts
  • Betta Count:8
  • Total Fish Count:Between several and many.
  • Referred By:I was sucked in by UB's gravitational force.
  • Statement:We weep for a bird's cry but not for a fish's blood; blessed are those with a voice.

Posted 02 December 2006 - 03:26 PM

I've seen a lot of threads on here lately asking for advice on treatment that are not always recieving timely responses, or get many "I don't know, but I hope someone can help!" replies. The moderators on this board are fantastically knowledgeable and check topics frequently, so I think this may be because many of us have trouble diagnosing and suggesting treatments based on the information we are being offered. Furthermore, while determining what a fish has so it can be treated is important, ruling out any contributing factors that may have caused the illness to begin with is equally important. I often think the title of this board should be "Betta Disease Prevention, Diagnosis, and Treatment" as it is always preferable to find ways to avoid illnesses to begin with. Makes sense, right? Good! :V:

So, when you post, please be so kind as to include the following:
- A detailed description of the symptoms, and if possible, photographs. This should include any and all changes in appearence, behavior, feeding habits, activity levels, coloration, etc. no matter how insignificant it may seem to you. While the big open sore or rotted fins may be the most obvious symptom, the subtle nuances in the betta's looks and behavior are often the most diagnostic.
- Your current water stats. At the very least, every post should include the ammonia, nitrate, and nitrite at the time you noticed the illness. If possible, also include pH, hardness, and alkalinity. The number one catalyst of health problems in fish is water quality problems! This does NOT mean you are a bad fishkeeper, so please do not hold back from posting if you find out the ammonia was a bit too high, or the hardness in your area is off the charts. What is most important is having the information needed for diagnosis, treatment, and of course - prevention!
- A description of your typical husbandry practices. Again, if you've goofed up, it's OK; we just want to know how to diagnose your fish and prevent future illnesses. Include tank size, tank temp, filtration/aeration (if any), frequency of cleaning, water additives used after water changes, feeding (type and frequency), tank mates (if any), etc. You get the idea - there is no such thing as too much information!
- Any relevant information about your betta's past health problems, if applicable. Many betta health problems appear to go away, but re-surface in times of stress. It is helpful to know about any medical history that could have compromised your fish's long-term health, such as a bad parasitic infection or a brush with columnaris. Fish who get sick often may have underlying conditions that can be determined by a good history.
- Finally, anything you've done so far to treat the fish's illness, if applicable. We need to know what steps you've allready taken so they can be encouraged if correct, discouraged if incorrect, or instituted if not done at all. Also, some medications can cause additional health problems, particularly if the suspected illness was incorrect, so knowing what you've done so far could help us figure out what is side effects and what is illness.

Thanks so much in advance for your cooperation! By helping us, we can help your fish!
  • hvincent, LilGreenPuffer and shecreature like this

#2 RandomWiktor

RandomWiktor

• Administrator
  • 10,485 posts
  • Statement:We weep for a bird's cry but not for a fish's blood; blessed are those with a voice.

Posted 05 July 2009 - 07:55 AM

Bumping this to the top because everyone seems to be ignoring this... bottom1.gif

We Need This Info For a Prompt Diagnosis!

Having to wait for the info wastes valuable time that could be spent saving your fish's life.

PLEASE always include the info requested in this thread in your posts.

To help, below is a question/information outline. Just copy and paste the text in your post, and then answer as many of the questions as you can.

SYMPTOMS
Appearance Changes:
Behavior Changes:
Eating Habits:
Other:

WATER STATS
Ammonia:
Nitrate:
Nitrite:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:
Time you noticed the illness:

TANK
Size:
Temp:
Filtration/Aeration:

HUSBANDRY PRACTICES
Frequency of Tank Cleaning:
Water Additives:
Feeding (food type/frequency):
Tank Mates:

TREATMENT
Any treatment so far and when:

HISTORY
List any past health problems:
  • hvincent, LilGreenPuffer and kenkimura1002 like this

#3 RandomWiktor

RandomWiktor

• Administrator
  • 10,485 posts

Posted 07 December 2009 - 09:24 AM

BUMP.

PLEASE USE THIS FOR A PROMPT DIAGNOSIS. Time wasted asking for this info is time that could be healing your fish!
  • kenkimura1002 likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq