amethyst

Alpha Betta

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,159 posts
  • Betta Count:1
  • Total Fish Count:An ever-changing number
  • Referred By:Carmenellie
  • Statement:All is well, all is well, and all manner of things is well.

Posted 24 November 2010 - 02:09 AM

I have a community tank (47 gall) with guppies, platys, neon tetras, cory cats, and otocinclus. I really like the livebearers, but I'd rather not end up with hundreds of babies. I have had several small drops of guppy fry already, and expect to have more, since I have 2 male and 6 female adults. I am raising 4 fry (I think all female, but since 2 of them are only 3 days old, it's hard to see them well enough to be sure) in a separate tank, but will soon be out of room. So, I'm looking for a fish that will go after any new fry without going after the adults. Would one of the smaller gourami (dwarf, honey, etc) be a good choice? If I do get one, will he/she be OK alone, or will I need 2? What gender would be best for this purpose?

Any other suggestions for a population control fish?

#2 brianjim

brianjim

UltimateBettas Veteran

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,547 posts
  • Betta Count:Lots and Lots
  • Total Fish Count:Even more
  • Referred By:myself
  • Statement:It's all fun and games till someone puts their eye out.

Posted 24 November 2010 - 07:59 AM

Gouramis would no more eat the fry than what you already have in the tank. Not sure what to suggest as a predator that won't try for your adults.

#3 SMFishBoy

SMFishBoy

UltimateBettas Veteran

• Members
  • 3,783 posts
  • Total Fish Count:22

Posted 28 November 2010 - 04:36 PM

My cories are my fry eaters for my convicts. If you just leave the fry in there, most of them will likely be eaten. And the few that do survive you can probably take to your LFS and they can probably know of some other fish people that can take them. In my experience, fry stay near the bottom and middle layers while gouramis stay near the top, so I doubt they would do much predator wise.

#4 amethyst

amethyst

Alpha Betta

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,159 posts
  • Betta Count:1
  • Total Fish Count:An ever-changing number
  • Referred By:Carmenellie
  • Statement:All is well, all is well, and all manner of things is well.

Posted 01 December 2010 - 07:26 AM

My cories are my fry eaters for my convicts. If you just leave the fry in there, most of them will likely be eaten. And the few that do survive you can probably take to your LFS and they can probably know of some other fish people that can take them. In my experience, fry stay near the bottom and middle layers while gouramis stay near the top, so I doubt they would do much predator wise.

My cories may be responsible for some of the fry that have already come and gone. My female emerald green in the biggest thing in the tank, and her male compatriot is the second biggest. I've seen tiny fry move out of their way plenty of times, but that doesn't mean they weren't too slow when I wasn't looking.

Thanks for the info about gouramis near the top. I know they need access to the top to breathe, but never really thought about the fact that they would be likely to stay up there for that very reason. Makes sense. My guppies and platies tend to hang at the top sometimes, especially near feeding time, so an aggressive gourami might bother them. I think I'll skip the gourami for this tank.

Edited by amethyst, 01 December 2010 - 07:27 AM.

#5 Solitarianknight

Solitarianknight

Formerly known as dimidiata

• Members
  • 4,255 posts
  • Betta Count:2
  • Total Fish Count:many
  • Referred By:the gravitational force that shrouds UB
  • Statement:luchamos por la liberación de los bettas! Las viva bettas

Posted 21 January 2011 - 08:39 AM

I have seen a few fish used to eat fry from a tank, danio,kribbs and apearently guppy themselves.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq