Big Boss

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 283 posts
  • Betta Count:28
  • Total Fish Count:a lot
  • Referred By:Google

Posted 30 October 2010 - 09:08 PM

Hey gang, I just got my first Cichlids, they are red dragon flowerhorn frys (about 1 inches long) and was wondering what do you guys recommend I should feed them? is it okay for them to eat dried-friezed bloodworms? also when do you think they are old enough to the floating shrimp pellets?

Thanks
Ze

#2 Laura Lee

Laura Lee

Fresh Fish Freak

• Retired Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,940 posts
  • Betta Count:I've lost count!
  • Total Fish Count:bizillions
  • Statement:Real change doesn't happen until the pain of staying the same is too great.

Posted 31 October 2010 - 08:58 PM

Freeze-dried bloodworms should be OK as a treat, but I wouldn't rely on them as your "staple" food. Easy to constipate fish feeding them just freeze-dried foods. Frozen are usually better.

Personally I rotate out foods almost every day with all of my fish. I feed alot of frozen (bloodworms, spirulina-enriched brine, mysis, daphnia, etc), a staple flake, and some freeze-dried, pellet, and stick treats. I really like the foods from www.angelsplus.com and from www.kensfish.com.

If your fry are 1" long now they should be able to handle all but large foods. You might go ahead and start them on some of the smaller pellet foods.
  • solidsnake85 likes this

#3 Hippiechick

Hippiechick

The Glitter Queen

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,940 posts
  • Betta Count:1
  • Total Fish Count:50 +++ got more now!
  • Referred By:BettaMomma and Chris
  • Statement:"Time to nut up or shut up!" Tallahassee, Zombieland...

Posted 01 November 2010 - 07:10 AM

I would get them on a pellet as a staple over a flake. When you consider how big they are going to get they need something more substantial for a regular food source. Everything else is a treat basically. How many did you get?

#4 solidsnake85

solidsnake85

Big Boss

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 283 posts

Posted 01 November 2010 - 06:53 PM

cool thanks for the info guys, I got some cichlids pellets(New Life Spectrum Cichlid Formula) the other day but wasn't sure if the frys were old enough to eat them yet. My friend/breeder who I got the cichlid from is out of country this month and I forgot to ask what food he was feeding them.

I got only 2 so far, because I believe when they are fully grown I won't have any more space in my house to raise more than 2 cichlids. They living in my 20 gallon now as I'm in process of moving out my 29 saltwater tank to my brother to replace it with a 100 gallon freshwater tank and then move the arowana in there and move the the baby cichlids in to the 55 gallon.

Also a new question, The New Life Spectrum Cichlid Formula pellet sinks way too fast is there another type of pellets that doesn't sink as fast just so the fishes have the time to devour each pellet?

Sorry it's burry, these guys never stop moving.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Edited by solidsnake85, 01 November 2010 - 10:41 PM.

#5 Hippiechick

Hippiechick

The Glitter Queen

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,940 posts
  • Betta Count:1
  • Total Fish Count:50 +++ got more now!
  • Referred By:BettaMomma and Chris
  • Statement:"Time to nut up or shut up!" Tallahassee, Zombieland...

Posted 02 November 2010 - 08:58 AM

Awesome. I just hope the FH will get along. They aren't known to be particularly friendly with any other fish. I can only go on this based on hear say however as I've never owned a FH. But based on what I have heard, there is at least a 99% chance you'll be having to split those 2 up in the year to come. LOL! Gotta love a cichlid's attitude.

#6 solidsnake85

solidsnake85

Big Boss

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 283 posts

Posted 02 November 2010 - 09:21 PM

Yeap, I pretty sure i'm going have to split them later down the road but if i can't find extra space for them my brother already offered to adopt one of them. He isn't much of a freshwater fish guy (saltwater fan) but for these cichlid he is willing take care of it.

#7 hottandcoldd

hottandcoldd

Alpha Betta

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,134 posts

Posted 02 November 2010 - 09:49 PM

I've had FH before and these fish eat pretty much anything. Some people even feed them prawns from super market when they grow bigger. I wouldn't recommend feeding them the freeze dried blood worms all 7 days a week since there will be lack of important vitamins and nutrition. I don't know the size of the shrimp pellets nor the size of your FH's mouth. I would feed the pellets if it fits in your FH's mouth. I did mention earlier that FH willingly accepts a variety of food but it's still important to pick out high quality food for them to allow them to grow faster. Would you mind telling us which brand did your shrimp pellets come from?

#8 solidsnake85

solidsnake85

Big Boss

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 283 posts

Posted 02 November 2010 - 10:06 PM

well so far i only bought the NLS food for them
Pellets

These I already have as treat for my bettas and was wondering when can I use it as a treat for the FH.

Shrimp
http://www.omegasea....ole_shrimp.html

Bloodworms
http://www.omegasea....bloodworms.html

Edited by solidsnake85, 02 November 2010 - 10:14 PM.

#9 Laura Lee

Laura Lee

Fresh Fish Freak

• Retired Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,940 posts
  • Betta Count:I've lost count!
  • Total Fish Count:bizillions
  • Statement:Real change doesn't happen until the pain of staying the same is too great.

Posted 03 November 2010 - 09:01 AM

You can feed them as soon as they're big enough to eat them.

They're probably big enough now, but it's easy enough to figure that out- feed a few and see what happens!

#10 hottandcoldd

hottandcoldd

Alpha Betta

• Members
  • 1,134 posts

Posted 04 November 2010 - 05:01 PM

well so far i only bought the NLS food for them
Pellets

These I already have as treat for my bettas and was wondering when can I use it as a treat for the FH.

Shrimp
http://www.omegasea....ole_shrimp.html

Bloodworms
http://www.omegasea....bloodworms.html

seems like you're all set in terms of food supply, both are excellent fish food brands :)

if you want to, you can also buy the NLS thera-A in the future. It has a bit more protein than the regular cichlid pellets so thera-A might help promote your FH growth a bit faster. The extra amount of garlic in thera-A is also another plus :)

Edited by hottandcoldd, 04 November 2010 - 05:05 PM.

#11 solidsnake85

solidsnake85

Big Boss

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 283 posts

Posted 07 November 2010 - 11:01 PM

Finally got a picture of one of them while they weren't moving.

Posted Image

I notice that one of my FH's body is still pale-pearl color while the other one(in the picture) is more darker tone with dark strips, should I be concern?

@hottandcold have you ever tried Grand sumo green? if so how was the result compare to NLS products.

Edited by solidsnake85, 08 November 2010 - 02:28 PM.

#12 hottandcoldd

hottandcoldd

Alpha Betta

• Members
  • 1,134 posts

Posted 10 November 2010 - 12:56 AM

I haven't tried the Grand sumo brand but I see it in many places. I do know the price of this brand isn't cheap. I checked the ingredients and nutrition analysis for this brand. I wouldn't recommend using the grand sumo original but the grand sumo red seems to be decent. I personally would choose NLS because it has garlic which is a big plus. I think Hai Feng is another brand people tend to use for FH or red parrots. I use to use this and if you come across it, I wouldn't recommend to buy it. The ingredients is full of crap :\.

they do have an interesting site if you're interested in reading more about FH
http://grandsumo.com/

Edited by hottandcoldd, 11 November 2010 - 10:54 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq