6 replies to this topic

#1 JKatkina

JKatkina

Egg

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 08 July 2010 - 06:49 PM

Help! I have a new betta and I'm not sure whether or not he's ill, but a couple of strange things make me worry. He's a very new betta, we've only had him for a week and a half, and both me and his other keeper are totally new fish-moms. As such, I'm not really familiar with his 'normal' behavior yet, and may have done something wrong without realizing it. We got him at Petsmart, if it matters.

Symptoms: The most visible one is a white spot on his head, just above his right eye, about the size of his pupil. This showed up literally overnight. It wasn't there yesterday.

He also appears to have fuzzy white... stuff, it looks like cotton, on the ends of his fins. It's not very much, but it's definitely there. I have spotted some on the sides of his tail fin as well. I've attached a few images, but the white cottony stuff doesn't show up well in any of them. I thought I spotted some faint fuzz on him a couple of days ago, but thought it went away or that I had been imagining him due to water that needed a change. I don't know if this is that, or something new.

He went through a 100% water change yesterday. I was careful, left his water to mellow overnight, treated it (Nutrafun Betta Plus tapwater conditioner; 5ml/2l), and even added an appropriate amount of aquarium salt (1tbsp/5gal). Before that, he had had one 50% change in the previous week we had owned him, which I now know was too few. He is in a 1gal tank, pending us getting something larger. His water temperature ranges from about 24 to 29 (gets hot in here in the summer!) over the course of the day. I don't have a water testing kit at the moment. I will get one.

He ate well yesterday of rehydrated freeze-dried bloodworm and pellets, and honestly, in terms of looks and behavior aside from the dot and the fuzz, he seems perkier, feistier. His fins were also very clamped yesterday, and have opened up a great deal today as compared to where they were. One strange thing -- the iridescence along his sides used to be much stronger when we got him, and it's dimmed down a little since then.

I have attached some photos, but the white fuzz doesn't show up satisfactorily in any of them.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Edited by JKatkina, 08 July 2010 - 06:55 PM.

#2 Saucy

Saucy

Spread the love

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,833 posts
  • Betta Count:3
  • Total Fish Count:TONS
  • Referred By:BettaMomma!!
  • Statement:"The measure of a society can be how well its people treat its animals." ~ Gandhi

Posted 08 July 2010 - 07:07 PM

The fuzzies are sapro fungus. Clean water and salt should heal that up soon. I can't tell what the thing above his eye is though. In a 1-gallon, he needs a full change every other day, so with that, the salt and good temps, he should heal up ok.
  • Laura Lee likes this

#3 JKatkina

JKatkina

Egg

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 08 July 2010 - 07:16 PM

Thank goodness! ...I mean, that the fuzz is something treatable, not that he's got fungus. I was immediately worrying "oh noes, it is cottony fish death!"

Right. I've set some water to mellow for a water change tomorrow. Do you think I should add a little extra salt to help him get better, or is the standard 1 tablespoon for 5 gallons enough?

Edited by JKatkina, 08 July 2010 - 07:17 PM.

#4 Saucy

Saucy

Spread the love

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,833 posts
  • Betta Count:3
  • Total Fish Count:TONS
  • Referred By:BettaMomma!!
  • Statement:"The measure of a society can be how well its people treat its animals." ~ Gandhi

Posted 08 July 2010 - 07:26 PM

Normal dose should help, I just think that the water change schedule was a bit lacking at first. I would also get your tap water tested just to see what you're working with. Sometimes it can be less and great :)

#5 JKatkina

JKatkina

Egg

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 12 July 2010 - 12:22 AM

Update!

We've been changing his water 100% every two days and it seems to be helping. The fungus hasn't 100% gone away, but it has lessened noticeably. Interestingly, it seems to grow on him overnight, and then mostly disappear by the next evening... but it's a general downward trend so I'm cautiously optimistic.

The white spot on his head has faded, and is almost gone. We suspect that he injured himself on an inappropriately sharp tank decoration, which since has been removed. He's also eating with, one might say, violent gusto these days, and he is swimming around like a fierce little man, especially when we turn the light on above his tank.

Hurrah!

#6 Laura Lee

Laura Lee

Fresh Fish Freak

• Retired Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,940 posts
  • Betta Count:I've lost count!
  • Total Fish Count:bizillions
  • Statement:Real change doesn't happen until the pain of staying the same is too great.

Posted 14 July 2010 - 01:17 PM

Great work!

Is he all better now?

#7 JKatkina

JKatkina

Egg

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 17 July 2010 - 12:45 PM

Great work!

Is he all better now?

Yup! He seems to be totally fungus-free now, and happy as a clam. He's even started making a bubble nest, amorous little man!

Edited by JKatkina, 17 July 2010 - 12:46 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq