7 replies to this topic

#1 IslandBetta

IslandBetta

Delta

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 328 posts
  • Betta Count:5 males, 1 female
  • Total Fish Count:Guess that would be 9.

Posted 16 November 2006 - 02:50 PM

There's one pet store here that I know of that sells HM bettas, but I've noticed that most of them have curled fins. What causes that? Are they unhealthy? I've noticed that they're not very lively. And I know that they get their stock from one particular breeder.

#2 Lucky_and_Comet

Lucky_and_Comet

Alpha Betta

• Elite Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,375 posts
  • Betta Count:2
  • Referred By:Google search for Bettas

Posted 16 November 2006 - 03:24 PM

CT's (crowntail's) rays are very prone to curling. They need pristine perfect water all the time, and I'm guessing that's not so at the petstore. It also becomes kind of hard as pet owner to keep up with such rigourous matinence too.
Some members of this board will swear by putting the fish in the sun for 15-30 minutes and supposedly this helps them.

Although I have a CT with curled rays and change his water every 3 days AND he lives near the window but his rays haven't magically uncurled.

It doesn't make them any less healthy though, just so you know, it just means they're crimped.

#3 johnnyson

johnnyson

Halfmoon

• BANNED
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 693 posts
  • Betta Count:bout 20 adult bettas, frys
  • Total Fish Count:to many to add up

Posted 16 November 2006 - 03:51 PM

their waters bad, they might be SDs alright, they need some sun light also

#4 tygr1203

tygr1203

still crazy for yellows!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,013 posts
  • Betta Count:9
  • Total Fish Count:9
  • Referred By:google

Posted 16 November 2006 - 08:04 PM

it's usually either too high ph or dirty water, they are dragging their fins too much. It's tough to keep hm's in top shape most of the times.

#5 Lucky_and_Comet

Lucky_and_Comet

Alpha Betta

• Elite Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,375 posts
  • Betta Count:2
  • Referred By:Google search for Bettas

Posted 16 November 2006 - 08:11 PM

I just now realised this topic was about HMs.
I was apparently insanely out of the loop when I wrote that, I apoligize.

#6 Eudie

Eudie

1958-2010 RIP Baby

• Retired Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,627 posts
  • Betta Count:Who knows?
  • Total Fish Count:See Above
  • Referred By:In the beginning . . .
  • Statement:Don't be so open-minded; your brains will fall out.

Posted 16 November 2006 - 08:30 PM

Half moons are the hardest bettas to keep the tails right. It's everything already mentioned. The ph has to be good, the water must be kept super clean and sometimes it's just the genetics. The breeder probably isn't going to give the petstore his best fish. He's going to keep them to improve his line, or try to sell them to individuals for a higher price than a pet store will give him. So what you are seeing are the fish at the bottom end of the spawn. One step above culling.

#7 IslandBetta

IslandBetta

Delta

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 328 posts
  • Betta Count:5 males, 1 female
  • Total Fish Count:Guess that would be 9.

Posted 17 November 2006 - 11:40 AM

Half moons are the hardest bettas to keep the tails right. It's everything already mentioned. The ph has to be good, the water must be kept super clean and sometimes it's just the genetics. The breeder probably isn't going to give the petstore his best fish. He's going to keep them to improve his line, or try to sell them to individuals for a higher price than a pet store will give him. So what you are seeing are the fish at the bottom end of the spawn. One step above culling.

Oh, that's horrible! I just got a red butterfly HM. He was a georgous guy, but he didn't look too good in his jar at the store, so I had to save him. Brought him home, put him in -- unfortunately -- a small tank while I was waiting for his larger tank to be ready. Had to keep him in the small tank overnight, but the next morning he had built a pretty good sized bubble nest and was swimming around happily. I affectionately named him Nemo 'coz one of his gills is permanently stuck out (so like how Nemo had a bad fin, he has a bad gill). he is a cute little guy and has fallen for one of my red females. :buds:

#8 Eudie

Eudie

1958-2010 RIP Baby

• Retired Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,627 posts
  • Betta Count:Who knows?
  • Total Fish Count:See Above
  • Referred By:In the beginning . . .
  • Statement:Don't be so open-minded; your brains will fall out.

Posted 20 November 2006 - 12:18 PM

I agree that it's not the best situation for the bettas, but most breeders do it to eventually make a profit, although a very small percentage actually do. They do what they can to improve their own line and then when they sell to individuals through things like aquabid, they can get more for a fish than the ones they sell in bulk to the fish store. That is why so many betta owners either buy directly from the breeder or purchase through aquabid. (But in using aquabid, it pays to get the advice of someone who is familiar with the breeder before you bid.)
And just because a betta comes from a petstore, doesn't mean he can't have a long happy life and give his owner a great deal of pleasure in return for the care and love he receives. Congrats on your new guy and I hope he and his lady friend have a long lasting relationship. :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq