7 replies to this topic

#1 moxie

moxie

Egg

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts
  • Betta Count:1
  • Statement:Be kinder than necessary, for everyone is fighting some sort of battle.

Posted 26 April 2010 - 10:37 PM

So my other betta Hoshi was sick towards the end of last week, and I ended up going to Petco three days in a row to get medicine, new food, water supplements, etc. While I was there I decided to check out their bettas and one kept drawing me back. He was completely aloof. Or depressed, I couldn't tell. He wouldn't flare for me or any of the other bettas, and I could tell that he wasn't likely a half-moon (like the cup said). I also saw that his tailfins were a bit ragged, although I really couldn't tell how bad it was. Still... I knew that if Hoshi passed away, this guy would be my new betta, assuming I could get there before he was sold. ;)

Well Hoshi did swim under the rainbow bridge, so after doing a fast tank break-down and sterilizing, I waited as long as I dared and went back to get this dude.

And boy, am I glad.

Here he is at rest. This was the first night... I didn't want to stress him out too much by dragging out the lights and mirrors, so I snapped a few candids.
Posted Image

I love the little red & white speckles on his head.
Posted Image

I think he's fairly young, his body is only an inch and a half long. Teeny by VT standards. I had to wonder about him at first... he was nowhere near as active as my VT, and pretty much would swim, stop, drift a bit, swim, stop, drift... almost like his fins were just too big for him to manage. He likes to lay on the java moss in the tank... maybe to give him a rest from dragging the fins around? Who knows.

Tonight I dragged out the mirrors/lights and struggled to try to get a couple of halfway decent pics of him flaring, which was rough... he's a fast one! I think he's a super-delta... You can also finally see just how bad his tail damage is... :surprise:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Holy-Moly, I didn't think it was that bad. Still, he's beautiful regardless. I'm no pro at fin damage, but I'm thinking that might be the signs of a tailbiter? The good thing is I haven't seen him biting his tail since he's been in the tank, and I've been watching him like a hawk. So here's hoping that it was just due to being in a cup. I'm going to be keeping a very close eye on his water parameters, keeping it as pristine as possible, and feeding him good pellets + brine shrimp/glassworms and see if we can get some regrowth happening. Even if they don't grow in, I'm still happy with him, he's a total cutie.

He's also gotten a LOT more active, swimming through the java moss like he's on a jungle hunt, flaring at his reflection, dancing for food, chasing the red cherry shrimp, etc. Took me a while to name him, but I think I've settled on Smooch, due to his coloring and his weird little open-mouthed pucker that I haven't been able to get a good snapshot of yet. ;)

What color would you say he is? I'm thinking Cambodian with a blue wash or maybe lavender... or salamander... his body is light pink with a purple iridescence... and the fins are red but can look orange, pink or even purple, depending on the light.

Edited by moxie, 26 April 2010 - 10:43 PM.

#2 the_K

the_K

that_1_guy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 784 posts
  • Total Fish Count:a lot
  • Referred By:no one

Posted 26 April 2010 - 10:51 PM

congrats on getting a really nice looking male

#3 gopartygo

gopartygo

Veiltail

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 237 posts
  • Betta Count:13

Posted 07 May 2010 - 06:54 PM

He sure is a pretty one, even if he likes the taste of his own tail

#4 LouisaMaeBrown

LouisaMaeBrown

UltimateBettas Veteran

• Elite Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,745 posts
  • Betta Count:Ever changing :)
  • Referred By:internet search
  • Statement:I am NOT addicted!.... okay, maybe I am, a little.

Posted 07 May 2010 - 07:50 PM

Cute boy. :)

#5 mysquishy

mysquishy

Delta

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 338 posts
  • Betta Count:5

Posted 13 May 2010 - 05:44 PM

I love his coloring

#6 Vair

Vair

Fry

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts
  • Betta Count:0
  • Total Fish Count:7
  • Statement:My pond babies had babies! >,<

Posted 28 May 2010 - 06:45 AM

Wow, he's gorgeous! :mf_lustslow:

#7 Josephine

Josephine

Fry

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 09 June 2010 - 02:53 AM

The tail is recovering, can you see the 'see through/white' bits on the edges of his tail that is damaged? That is his new fins growing back, I'd say he wasn't biting, as it looks to be a good week and a half of regrowth there. Keep an eye on him but I am sure you'll take good care.

He is pretty and young, good catch x

#8 JamieBankai

JamieBankai

Super-Delta

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 378 posts
  • Betta Count:None currently :(
  • Total Fish Count:None :(
  • Referred By:Google
  • Statement:~"In the end the love you take is equal to the love you make.'~

Posted 26 October 2011 - 01:52 AM

He is absolutely one of the most beautiful Bettas I have ever seen!
That name is just perfect!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq