#1 Laura Lee

Laura Lee

Fresh Fish Freak

• Retired Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,940 posts
  • Betta Count:I've lost count!
  • Total Fish Count:bizillions
  • Statement:Real change doesn't happen until the pain of staying the same is too great.

Posted 02 April 2010 - 01:57 PM

I've been planning a tank for some Betta simplex for over a year now, and have just today FINALLY ordered the fish! lol

This tank is one of my oldest tanks (my hubby gave it to me as a wedding present :mf_lustslow: ), so has seen lots and lots of different setups over the years. My passion over the past 5 years or so has become planted tanks, so I have now converted all of my tanks to live plants.

A word about my planted tank method:
My personal preference is LOW MAINTENANCE- I don't like using water column ferts (I use litte to no ferts on any of my tanks) and I like to minimize the need for water changes (once or twice a month is it for me), so I set up all my tanks with these goals in mind. I limit my plants' need for additional nutrients by controlling light and by stocking each tank with an adequate bioload. I also use substrates (like Flourite and Mineralized Topsoil) that contain and/or will hold nutrients for the plants to pull in through their roots, and therefore incorporate mostly rosette-type plants in my tanks (swords, crypts, etc).

For the past year or so, this tank has been serving as my "catchall" tank- plants, fish, decor, etc that were overflows from other setups. It's often looked like this lol:
Posted Image

But over the past few months I've finally gotten around to actually cleaning it up and setting this tank up as a "real" tank. It's been serving as a QT tank for a large school of 50x Cardinal tetras for the past 2 weeks, but they're about to "graduate" and go into my 90gal in just a few days. Here's the tank as it stands today:
Posted Image

Equipment:
46gal bowfront tank on black stand
Filter - Eheim 2217
Lighting - Coralife 2x21 watt T5NO
Heater- Hydor ETH inline 300 watt
Substrate - Mineralized topsoil capped with a mix of Flourite black and black T grade Colorquartz

Plants:
Assorted Crypts, including at least 3 or 4 different C. wendtii varities and hybrids, C. lucens, C. parva, C. ciliata, C. cordata 'rosanervig,' C. undulata, C. moehlmannii, C. pontederiifolia, C. cordata blasii... probably some others, too?
Hygrophila angustifolia
Hygrophila kompakt
Echinodorus tenllus 'red'
Ranunculus inudatus
Hemianthus micranthemoides

#2 Laura Lee

Laura Lee

Fresh Fish Freak

• Retired Moderator
  • 3,940 posts
  • Statement:Real change doesn't happen until the pain of staying the same is too great.

Posted 02 April 2010 - 02:02 PM

I'm not really happy with the wall I have in there now, and I've ordered some miniature bricks I'm going to try instead. I'm trying for a kind of "garden path" look in the tank...

STOCKING

I'm getting 3 male and 2 female B. simplex from Brianjim in just a few weeks.

I'm also planning on 5x Dwarf chain loaches for the bottom-dwellers.

For schooling fish, I'm still debating options, but I'm leaning towards a school of dwarf rainbows, P. gertrudae.

There's also a colony of red cherry shrimp in the tank currently. We'll see if they survive the fish...

#3 Synirr

Synirr

Sanity and happiness are an impossible combination.

• Root Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,904 posts
  • Betta Count:Some
  • Total Fish Count:Lots

Posted 02 April 2010 - 02:13 PM

I'm not really happy with the wall I have in there now...

Hah, I was just about to say that I really like the wall! It's a neat idea. :)

#4 Laura Lee

Laura Lee

Fresh Fish Freak

• Retired Moderator
  • 3,940 posts

Posted 02 April 2010 - 02:42 PM

Hah, I was just about to say that I really like the wall! It's a neat idea. :)

LOL

I like the wall concept, I just don't like those particular pavers. They're landscape pavers I found at home depot, they were the smallest I could find, but I just don't think they're "in scale" with my little driftwood trees, so I've just placed an order and I'm going to try these Miniature Bricks

(watch, I'll get them and it will turn out they're made of foam and float rather than being real brick... :pull_hair: )

#5 RAH

RAH

Undocumented Lurker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 978 posts
  • Betta Count:2
  • Total Fish Count:45
  • Statement:(<_<) (>_>)

Posted 02 April 2010 - 06:43 PM

325, that's a lot of bricks! Maybe you'll have enough left over for a little brick out house :D

#6 Laura Lee

Laura Lee

Fresh Fish Freak

• Retired Moderator
  • 3,940 posts

Posted 02 April 2010 - 09:14 PM

325, that's a lot of bricks! Maybe you'll have enough left over for a little brick out house :D

Or maybe a BIG little brick house? LOL

I know nada about miniatures, so I've no idea how big these "one inch scale" bricks are actually going to be... anyone know?

#7 RAH

RAH

Undocumented Lurker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 978 posts
  • Betta Count:2
  • Total Fish Count:45
  • Statement:(<_<) (>_>)

Posted 03 April 2010 - 12:03 AM

roughly same as this My link

#8 LouisaMaeBrown

LouisaMaeBrown

UltimateBettas Veteran

• Elite Member
  • 7,745 posts
  • Betta Count:Ever changing :)
  • Referred By:internet search
  • Statement:I am NOT addicted!.... okay, maybe I am, a little.

Posted 03 April 2010 - 08:43 AM

OMG, what lucky fish! :)

#9 Laura Lee

Laura Lee

Fresh Fish Freak

• Retired Moderator
  • 3,940 posts

Posted 03 April 2010 - 09:21 AM

roughly same as this My link

Thanks for the link!

1/4 of an inch? Yikes! I've got my work cut out for me rebuilding this wall then, don't I... Probably going to have to superglue it too *sigh*

#10 Laura Lee

Laura Lee

Fresh Fish Freak

• Retired Moderator
  • 3,940 posts

Posted 03 April 2010 - 09:56 AM

I wonder if I could facade the bricks onto something else...

#11 Laura Lee

Laura Lee

Fresh Fish Freak

• Retired Moderator
  • 3,940 posts

Posted 03 April 2010 - 04:18 PM

Well, the Great Fish Switcharoo has begun! lol

The Cardinal tetras officially "graduated" from QT in this tank today and after hunting them all down for an hour I THINK I managed to get them all out and into the 90gal. Turns out that there were 58 of them, so with the 2 I had left from an old school, I've now got 60 Cardinals in the 90gal. (I SO love these little fish! lol)
So that's Step 1

Step 2 is catching and relocating the 12ish Boraras brigittae out of the 46gal to go into the 10gal. I'm still recouperating from Step 1 so haven't gotten this far yet. LOL I strongly suspect that catching these 12 fish is going to take longer than it did to catch the 58x Cardinals, they're so much smaller and blend in too well with the RCS! (I also need to clean the XP3 on my 90gal and am going to pull plenty of mulm out of that filter to insta-cycle the 10gal.)

Step 3 is me trying to catch and relocate 2 of the 5 Calico BN plecos in my 90gal to this tank, hopefully a M/F pair.

I may or may not get to all of this today. :whistle1:

#12 Laura Lee

Laura Lee

Fresh Fish Freak

• Retired Moderator
  • 3,940 posts

Posted 04 April 2010 - 07:01 PM

The Cardinals and B. brigittae have both been moved out, but I still haven't been able to catch 2 of my Calico BN for this tank.

Since it's so much easier to work in this tank w/out the driftwood in place, I took advantage to do a bit of minor maintenance. Mostly just tweaked some of the new crypt placement and pulled whatever Xmas moss I could find (hitchhiker strands from the crypts that came in from my old 10gal...)
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

How do shrimplets know it's safe to come out again? I hadn't seen any in weeks...
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

I wonder if this pond snail knows it's about to become a snack?
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq