LilGreenPuffer

Yeah, I'm "that girl with the fish."

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,006 posts
  • Betta Count:1
  • Total Fish Count:4
  • Referred By:Google
  • Statement:My mission is to make your day a little more surreal.

Posted 25 March 2010 - 10:28 AM

The container holds just under half a gallon. I started with the four cups of water directed in the hatching guide, but I filled it up the rest of the way a few days ago, partly because I was scared of overheating the water, partly because I overfed :blush: and wanted to dilute pollution, and partly because I forgot to oxygenate the distilled water beforehand and I wanted to add oxygenated water.

If you want to follow my tank log in detail, it's here, complete with photographs: http://www.thepuffer...php?f=7&t=21532

#26 LilGreenPuffer

LilGreenPuffer

• Members
  • 7,006 posts

Posted 28 March 2010 - 11:23 AM

I had another baby hatch 2-3 days ago. :) I think by that point I'd turned the light off.

#27 reiko89

reiko89

You there, in the shirt! Stop this instant!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,149 posts
  • Betta Count:2
  • Total Fish Count:18 Aqua-babies
  • Statement:School is cool unless you're a fool.

Posted 28 March 2010 - 03:13 PM

Cool :D glad to hear of your success :3

#28 Guest_Eden Marel_*

Guest_Eden Marel_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 March 2010 - 09:28 PM

Woot! I'm excited for you! :mf_lustslow:

#29 LilGreenPuffer

LilGreenPuffer

• Members
  • 7,006 posts

Posted 08 April 2010 - 11:33 AM

Just a suggestion on plant choices... Flame moss = bad! I've had two triops get stuck, and, let me tell you, it's very hard to cut a squirming triops free.

#30 VelvetDragon

VelvetDragon

we build the wall to keep us free

• Administrator
  • 5,871 posts
  • Referred By:haley
  • Statement:I believe -- I believe -- everyday's a good day when you paint

Posted 08 April 2010 - 04:18 PM

Sooooo... how long do the packets of commercial eggs last? I know these guys can lie dormant for a long time, but I expect home conditions, etc. can do a number on them. I have a kit I never used, but it's old.

I have a few spare tanks -- a five gallon, a ten gallon, a 2.5 and countless rubbermaid bins. I have a bunch of extra heaters and so on as well. I also have anacharis/elodea growing like mad in my tanks. I don't have an extra incandescent lamp, can I just use a heater in the hatching container? I have a million other questions if I do decide to do this. Hehe.

#31 LilGreenPuffer

LilGreenPuffer

• Members
  • 7,006 posts

Posted 08 April 2010 - 04:27 PM

I used a heater to heat the water, but the page Eden Marel sent with the eggs said that you also need light to signal to the eggs that they're not buried in sediment. So I used a flourescent lamp. And apparently the eggs last for years.

And, OMG, EEEEEEEEEE!!!!! I came by here to make a MAJOR ANNOUNCEMENT. Are you ready?????

I HAVE EGGS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#32 VelvetDragon

VelvetDragon

• Administrator
  • 5,871 posts

Posted 08 April 2010 - 05:01 PM

YAY EGGS!

I guess I'll try my little packets then when I have time to set it up. I do have extra fluorescent lamps I can use along with a heater, no problem.

Sand is the best substrate?

I noticed Eden Marel says she cleans her tank 100% every week to harvest eggs. Can we get a far more detailed account of how this is done? What they look like, how to take them out, what to do with them? Do you remove the adult triops from the tank when you do this, or do you wait until the triops die? I'm a bit confused on that aspect. For the baby triops, I assume it'd be hard to remove them or avoid sucking them up during a cleaning. If you're not harvesting the eggs, how is it best to clean?

#33 Guest_Eden Marel_*

Guest_Eden Marel_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 April 2010 - 05:14 PM

YAY EGGS!

I guess I'll try my little packets then when I have time to set it up. I do have extra fluorescent lamps I can use along with a heater, no problem.

Sand is the best substrate?

I noticed Eden Marel says she cleans her tank 100% every week to harvest eggs. Can we get a far more detailed account of how this is done? What they look like, how to take them out, what to do with them? Do you remove the adult triops from the tank when you do this, or do you wait until the triops die? I'm a bit confused on that aspect. For the baby triops, I assume it'd be hard to remove them or avoid sucking them up during a cleaning. If you're not harvesting the eggs, how is it best to clean?

I catcht them with my handy dandy brine shrimp net and put them in a smaller kritter keeper with some of their old tank water. I also put their plants in with them. When the tank is empty of moving creatures, decor, and plants, I whip out my big plastic jar! Using my turkey baster, I stir the sand like a mad man to expose the eggs and bring them up and out of the sand. Right after that I quickly pour the tank water into the big jar while the eggs are still in the water column. I wait a couple minutes to let the water in the jar settle so that the eggs can sink to the bottom. I pour back some of the tank water gently into the original tank. Then I use the turkey baster to swirl the water in the jar in circles a couple of times, this action will make the eggs gather on center of the bottom of the jar. Wait for the water to settle, then use the turkey baster to suck up the stuff in the middle and put the content into a clean glass jar. Dump the water in the jar back into the tank and Repeat.

When you are satisfied and felt like you have gotten all the eggs you wanted (trust me you aren't gonna get them all, unless you spend the whole day doing so), just clean the tank and sand with your hands under tap water and set-up the tank once again.

For babies, when you first hatch them you try not to over feed them and just top off the water until you transfer them to the bigger tank. If there is junk, use eye dropper to suck stuff up.

#34 VelvetDragon

VelvetDragon

• Administrator
  • 5,871 posts

Posted 08 April 2010 - 05:49 PM

Thank you Eden! I'm definitely going to try this. It'd be fun to have a sustaining population going. :) In the clean glass jar you transfer the stuff into, do you let it dry out?

#35 Guest_Eden Marel_*

Guest_Eden Marel_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 April 2010 - 06:05 PM

Yes, I suck out the excess water, but I little bit so that when you go put it away in a cool dark place it will evaporate naturally.

#36 VelvetDragon

VelvetDragon

• Administrator
  • 5,871 posts

Posted 08 April 2010 - 06:18 PM

Thanks so much. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users