2 replies to this topic

#1 RandomWiktor

RandomWiktor

I put the "fun" in fundamentalist!

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,485 posts
  • Betta Count:8
  • Total Fish Count:Between several and many.
  • Referred By:I was sucked in by UB's gravitational force.
  • Statement:We weep for a bird's cry but not for a fish's blood; blessed are those with a voice.

Posted 13 January 2010 - 07:34 AM

Use of Antibiotics in Ornamental Fish Aquaculture

I am posting this resource with the hopes that it can better articulate some elements of fish medical care than we can as fishkeepers. This extremely helpful article includes some very pertinent information regarding antibiotic use. Specifically, it includes a detailed run-down of types of bacteria, the best ways to combat bacteria, appropriate treatment regimens, routes of administration, risks and consequences of antibiotic use, etc.

Perhaps most importantly, however: This link includes detailed information on the specific uses, ideal modes of administration, and potential side effects of many commonly used antibiotics. This is important information for you when selecting the best medication. Furthermore, at the bottom of the page, there is also a dosing chart including the best mode of administration, bath dosage, and ORAL dosage. For those who soak foods, this is very pertinent, as too high or too low a concentration can be detrimental to treatment. Oral dosing is MUCH more effective than bath treatments, so this is good info to have, folks!

#2 Synirr

Synirr

Sanity and happiness are an impossible combination.

• Root Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,904 posts
  • Betta Count:Some
  • Total Fish Count:Lots

Posted 13 January 2010 - 12:01 PM

Great link, thanks for posting this! :thumbup:

#3 0335653

Kim

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 532 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 11:14 AM

This is an awesome article to have as a sticky. I found the same article a few years back while doing research on fish diseases and antibiotic use, and I think one of the most important points to note is that certain antibiotics will be rendered ineffective at high pH levels. One such antibiotic is Minocycline, which is the active ingredient in Maracyn II, and this likely explains why those of us with higher pH levels have limited success with this medication, while others swear by it. Honestly, I truly believe that it is negligent to exclude this important information from the packaging instructions, but I digress. All being said, I highly recommend that anyone involved in the aquarium hobby read this article!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq