CTBetta

Wiggler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
  • Betta Count:3 Males
  • Referred By:n/a

Posted 19 September 2009 - 01:24 PM

I purchased a 56g tank and stand http://www.ultimateb...showtopic=43036 and have started the build........ Originally, I was going to divide it into 5 sectionS, 4 males split on the outsides (two each side) and a center section for a sorority, however; have decided to split it into three sections so my boys will have their own little mansions to live in (about 19g on the outside sections and 18 in the middle).

BRINGING THE TANK HOME....
Posted Image

CRUDDY TANK AND STAND....
Posted Image

STAND SANDED DOWN AND REPAINTED SEMI GLOSS BLACK....
Posted Image

MARKING THE ACRYLIC FOR THE FLOW HOLES....
Posted Image

DRILLING THE FLOW HOLES....
Posted Image

TANK CLEANED WITH A QUICK MOCK UP OF THE DIVISION....
Posted Image

I am going to have the pickup for the canister filter (Marineland C-360) in the left hand section close to the bottom, with only the top half of that section drilled for flow(approximately 13 inches down), the return on the top of the right hand section, with only the bottom half of that section drilled (approximately 13 inches up) for flow and the heater in the middle section.

I figured this would force the water down in the left section, into the pickup, back into the tank on the top right, out through the bottom right, rising up in the middle section and down again to the filter pickup. I am hoping this will give me good water flow with only 1 inch of overlapping of the flow holes.....

The acrylic is clear, however; I found with a very light sanding, it looks frosted, which should keep the flaring to a minimum. I attached acrylic, "stops" on the top and bottom of the section for the dividers to rest against. This way, I will not have to secure the dividers to the face of the tank to keep it looking clean. the acrylic is 1/4 and should be plenty stiff and has been trimmed to JUST fit.

I will be using black gravel (so I can seed bacteria from my current tanks) and will probably plant some large bamboo and other plants in each section.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, as this is a tank in the works.......

I will keep the progress posted as it progresses.

Thanks
Gordi

Edited by CTBetta, 19 September 2009 - 01:27 PM.

#2 Blue Butterfly

Blue Butterfly

Juvie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 180 posts
  • Betta Count:1
  • Total Fish Count:10

Posted 19 September 2009 - 05:03 PM

Whoa! Betta palace! You really go all out for them! Do you have a tank hood? Other than that I think you made a very nice setup and it'll look beautiful with some nice plants.

#3 CTBetta

CTBetta

Wiggler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 19 September 2009 - 09:53 PM

Don't have a hood yet.... I will probably have to build my own, as I am finding they are hard to find for a 56 gallon, but, that will just be another project to look forward to!

#4 Crowntail Princess

Crowntail Princess

animals + cars

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 611 posts
  • Betta Count:2
  • Referred By:Google
  • Statement:Good judgment comes from experience; experience comes from bad judgment.

Posted 19 September 2009 - 09:56 PM

Lovely tank! Your bettas will love it =] Would look great if you had marbles on the bottom that corresponded to the color of the fish :P

#5 xKitty

xKitty

Delta

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 310 posts

Posted 20 September 2009 - 12:58 AM

Really clean work with those dividers =)

#6 CTBetta

CTBetta

Wiggler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 20 September 2009 - 07:47 AM

Really clean work with those dividers =)

Thank you... I just finished the first one this morning.... Finished drilling the holes and frosting the glass...

Plexi drilled and frosted with coarse grit sanding block....
Posted Image

Plexi in place, the frosting should keep the flaring to a minimum....... now only about 400 more holes to drill, clean and sand for the second divider....
Posted Image

Edited by CTBetta, 20 September 2009 - 08:03 AM.

#7 dopeygookie

dopeygookie

Betta Ninja

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
  • Betta Count:6
  • Total Fish Count:and then, there were 6
  • Referred By:Found through Google randomly O_o
  • Statement:Why so serious?

Posted 20 September 2009 - 07:56 AM

How did the "frosting" by sanding turn out? Anxiously awaiting future progress photos! :thumbup:

#8 CTBetta

CTBetta

Wiggler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 20 September 2009 - 02:36 PM

BOTH DIVIDERS DRILLED FOR FLOW, SANDED TO FROST THEM, INSTALLED AND SOME GRAVEL ADDED....
Posted Image

FRONT VIEW OF THE BEGINNINGS OF THE SETUP....
Posted Image

Now I am waiting for the filter and heater. I ordered them on last Sunday (13th of September) online and will still have to wait to the end of this week!!!! NOT HAPPY!!!!

When I ordered them, I paid for the order in full and opted to have them sent via USPS Priority Mail instead of Fedex ground (same delivery time), because I work during the week and they have a large package box where I pick up my mail. If a signature is required, Fedex will not drop it and re attempt delivery, but I will not be there. The online supplier sent me an E-Mail on Tuesday the 15th stating the order had shipped. On Friday the 18th at 500 PM, I received a telephone call from them stating the order had not been processed for shipping and the shipping would be an additional $35 WTF!!!!!!!

So now my order will allegedly be shipped on Monday the 21st via Fedex ground (price originally quoted for USPS Priority) and my neighbor is going to keep an eye out for the Fedex truck for me.....

Sorry for the rant, it is getting close to being able to be filled up, the cycle started, and I am anxious (especially after drilling each one of those holes 3 times).

Gordi

#9 marian

marian

Halfsun

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 867 posts
  • Betta Count:1 make and 2 females
  • Total Fish Count:3
  • Referred By:google

Posted 20 September 2009 - 03:18 PM

It looks great and those are one lucky bettas.

#10 Azaria

Azaria

Super-Delta

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 435 posts
  • Betta Count:10
  • Statement:we never really grow up all we do is learn how to act in public.

Posted 20 September 2009 - 06:33 PM

I love your statue! Does it have a hole in it for hiding? Where did you get it?

#11 CTBetta

CTBetta

Wiggler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 20 September 2009 - 07:25 PM

I love it too.... I got it at Petco, but have seen it online as well. It has a hole in the front and one in the back for my Betta to hide in. It is 14 inches tall X 9 inches wide. I paid about $29 for it.

#12 Blue Butterfly

Blue Butterfly

Juvie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 180 posts
  • Betta Count:1

Posted 20 September 2009 - 07:26 PM

Yup you can see in the picture it's got a big hole in front and another going out the back.

Question: How come the holes don't go all the way down and up in the partitions? Just curiosity. :) The tank is coming along great! I admire your craftsman skills.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq