Saucy

Spread the love

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,833 posts
  • Betta Count:3
  • Total Fish Count:TONS
  • Referred By:BettaMomma!!
  • Statement:"The measure of a society can be how well its people treat its animals." ~ Gandhi

Posted 05 June 2006 - 09:07 PM

Posted Image
Borrowed from planetcatfish.com

Names: Cory, cory cat; corydoras species (there are MANY different species such as albino, panda, salt and pepper, Julii, etc)

Area of origin: South America

Min/Max Tank Size: 5-10 gallons depending on species with a substrate like sand or rounded gravel

Suggested Care Level: Easy to Moderate

Water conditions: Slightly acidic (6.0) to neutral (7.0) but can be adapted to higher pH, soft to slightly hard and temperatures ranging from 65-80

Diet: Omnivorous - will eat some algae on gravel, but should be fed with a high-quality bottom-feeder tablet, frozen food or flake along with some veggies (i.e. cooked pea, blanched cucumber or zucchini)

Suggested tank mates:
Community fish (tetras, mollies, platies, bettas, etc)

Breeding: Egg-layers. Most species are relatively easy to breed as long as you have a compatible pair. Start off with a group of about 6. Cories should be conditioned with higher-quality food for at least a week before breeding; furthermore, lowering the pH and temperature of the tank will help "set the mood." When the female has decided she wants to breed, she will select the site and lay the eggs. The eggs should be removed after 24 hours and let hatch in a separate tank or reared in a breeder net in the parents' tank. They will live off a yolk sac for about 3 days after hatching. After that, they should be fed on a micropellet or fry food depending on their size.

Personal observations, Advice: These catfish are a great addition to nearly any community tank. I suggest getting a school of at least four, but more if you plan on breeding them. They come in MANY different sizes and colors, too. Some of the smaller ones are pygmy, hastatus, habrosus (salt and pepper) while some can reach lengths up to 5". Some of the larger species are trilineatus (Julii), barbatus, aeneus (bronze and albino) and others.

More pictures (all from planetcatfish.com):
Posted Image
Aeneus

Posted Image
Hastatus

Posted Image
Panda

Posted Image
Trilineatus (Julii)

#2 LittleFrog

LittleFrog

Veiltail

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 226 posts
  • Betta Count:9
  • Total Fish Count:39
  • Referred By:no one

Posted 28 October 2007 - 09:21 PM

I have a heavily planted 15 gallon, which I've divided in two 71/2 gallon sections. I have a Betta in each section, and was thinking of adding some Cories. How many and what type would you suggest? Also, the tank is not filtered, but is very heavily planted. Will this be a problem for Cories?

#3 nikelodeon79

nikelodeon79

Plakat

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 505 posts
  • Betta Count:15
  • Total Fish Count:100+
  • Referred By:Jun

Posted 23 September 2008 - 08:01 AM

I disagree with the tank recommendations of 5-10 gallons. I wouldn't suggest putting group of cories in anything smaller than 10g, and then only the small species such as habrosus, hastatus, pygmaeus, and possibly panda. Aeneus (bronze) cories need a much larger tank, as they get quite large.

I think the problem is that there are just far too many corydora species to be lumped into one care sheet. Their requirements are just too different. If the site wants them, I could probably write up care sheets on panda, habrosus, and bronze cories. I have kept all three and done a lot of research on them.
  • Gilraen Took likes this

#4 Azaria

Azaria

Super-Delta

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 435 posts
  • Betta Count:10
  • Total Fish Count:10
  • Statement:we never really grow up all we do is learn how to act in public.

Posted 11 October 2009 - 01:16 PM

At the petstore they told me that I can combine different types. So I got 3 albino and 3 panda. (so - if they are wrong at least the 3 and 3 will stick together).
They were seperate at the pet store so they have remained so in the tank.
Will they eventually get used to each other and school together?
(in 20 gallon)

#5 Saucy

Saucy

Spread the love

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,833 posts
  • Betta Count:3
  • Total Fish Count:TONS
  • Referred By:BettaMomma!!
  • Statement:"The measure of a society can be how well its people treat its animals." ~ Gandhi

Posted 11 October 2009 - 01:25 PM

Probably not. They will be very different in size and they know they aren't the same species.

#6 johnny n

johnny n

Super-Delta

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 355 posts
  • Betta Count:0
  • Referred By:google

Posted 26 April 2010 - 06:52 PM

i've got 3 albino corys in a 10 gallon. is that alright?

#7 RAH

RAH

Undocumented Lurker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 978 posts
  • Betta Count:2
  • Total Fish Count:45
  • Statement:(<_<) (>_>)

Posted 26 April 2010 - 08:19 PM

I think albinos are on the small side. Ive had 4 salt & peppers in a 10 for over 6 months and they've been OK, they have a lot of driftwood to shelter under... I didn't see Corydoras paleatus Posted Image

Edited by RAH, 26 April 2010 - 08:27 PM.

#8 siKoTic

siKoTic

Wiggler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
  • Betta Count:1 VT
  • Total Fish Count:1 Betta, 2 African Dwarf Frogs
  • Referred By:Google

Posted 25 February 2011 - 12:34 PM

I am looking to get about 5 peppered corys for my 25gal once it cycles. I have my betta and 2 African dwarf frogs right now in a 10 gal that will go in with it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq