Bettafan

White Freak

• Retired Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 878 posts
  • Betta Count:enough to feed the cat!
  • Total Fish Count:300

Posted 23 September 2006 - 07:11 AM

I looked to see if I had already posted this, If I did sorry for the duplicate. If not enjoy!

IF you have never bred before read this for a general idea of what to expect.
Conditioning? Min 2 wks time.
Asa beginner yoiu should take it one step at a time till you can figure out your own style. So here is the basic idea.

"Is a ten gallon good for breeding= YES
You need a sponge filter and air pump, with a valve so you can turn it down an up.
Only fill the tank up 4 or 5 inches.
Yes put in a few live plants I reccomend hornwort, good, and cheap also. geta good thermometer, and heater a fully submersible type as you wont have a full tank for a bit. so yoiu lay it down low. Dont put gravel in the tank.

Purchase IAL indian almond leaf, http://www.majesticbetta.com right there in calif. they will mail it to you.
Age your water , make sur to add dechlor. Boil the IAL in a gallon of water three leaves or so. make a tea and add it to the tank water.
Most will recommend a chimney but I use a divider for the tank , 5 gallons each. that way she can relax and swim about while you feed them lots of live food or frozen, redworms, or shimp , or mysis , kinda your choice there but good quality food is a given. Hikari is best by far. After a week she will fill up with eggs and look like she ate a marble. The male side of the tank should have a target for the nest, float a nice peice of IAL in there , the male will know what to do, then if all is good take the divider out,

Watch the male for mating, when he is done remove the female, you'll know when , you should see eggs falling and he and sometimes her will pick them up and put them into the nest . She will run and hide when there done becasue he will get rough and rowdy, might try and kill her. So remove her. He could get rowdy during mating as well but you will learn the difference in actions.

Eggs will hatch in a very short order 24 to 36 hours, depending on the temperature, most everyone reccomends 82" I go up to 90' but I dont reccomend that for anyone else. Thats a peronal thing from what works fr me.

Its important to be ready for the fry, live bearer food wont cut it for fry. You should have a mix of egg yolk and water to feed them, basically boil an egg and take the yolk out and mix it with a cup or so of water. mix it up well , feeze a some in an icecube tray the rest put into a spritzer or sprayer and feed from day one to day 7 with a spritz a day over the tank one spritz only, or should I say one in the morning and one in the later afternoon, after six pm. (dinner)LOL
Some folks use VE Vinegar Eels and some use MW mciroworms, either one is good but takes a c ulture to work with. egg yolk mix is by far the easier. and works great.

After one week old or so you should start to hatch BBS for your fry, this is not too bad but you should have a hatcher ready to go as well. they need a light on them to keep them warm and a little aquarium salt, I use a 2 litre bottle and mix mine up , see pic. http://brineshrimpdirect.com instructions and eggs for sale.
Posted Image
real easy , now here are a few pictures of plants and things you may find interesting,

Java moss,
Posted Image
Java fern
Posted Image
IAL in bags from Malaysia
Posted Image
Blood worms
Posted Image
White worms for feeding as they get older
Posted Image

Ok there ya go, hope this is helpful :)

#2 vicedretard

vicedretard

Wiggler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 23 January 2007 - 04:19 AM

very helpful thanks...

#3 Tex

Tex

Egg

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 03 February 2007 - 11:06 PM

I looked to see if I had already posted this, If I did sorry for the duplicate. If not enjoy!
IF you have never bred before read this for a general idea of what to expect.
Conditioning? Min 2 wks time.
Asa beginner yoiu should take it one step at a time till you can figure out your own style. So here is the basic idea.

"Is a ten gallon good for breeding= YES
You need a sponge filter and air pump, with a valve so you can turn it down an up.
Only fill the tank up 4 or 5 inches.
Yes put in a few live plants I reccomend hornwort, good, and cheap also. geta good thermometer, and heater a fully submersible type as you wont have a full tank for a bit. so yoiu lay it down low. Dont put gravel in the tank.

Purchase IAL indian almond leaf, http://www.majesticbetta.com right there in calif. they will mail it to you.
Age your water , make sur to add dechlor. Boil the IAL in a gallon of water three leaves or so. make a tea and add it to the tank water.
Most will recommend a chimney but I use a divider for the tank , 5 gallons each. that way she can relax and swim about while you feed them lots of live food or frozen, redworms, or shimp , or mysis , kinda your choice there but good quality food is a given. Hikari is best by far. After a week she will fill up with eggs and look like she ate a marble. The male side of the tank should have a target for the nest, float a nice peice of IAL in there , the male will know what to do, then if all is good take the divider out,

Watch the male for mating, when he is done remove the female, you'll know when , you should see eggs falling and he and sometimes her will pick them up and put them into the nest . She will run and hide when there done becasue he will get rough and rowdy, might try and kill her. So remove her. He could get rowdy during mating as well but you will learn the difference in actions.

Eggs will hatch in a very short order 24 to 36 hours, depending on the temperature, most everyone reccomends 82" I go up to 90' but I dont reccomend that for anyone else. Thats a peronal thing from what works fr me.

Its important to be ready for the fry, live bearer food wont cut it for fry. You should have a mix of egg yolk and water to feed them, basically boil an egg and take the yolk out and mix it with a cup or so of water. mix it up well , feeze a some in an icecube tray the rest put into a spritzer or sprayer and feed from day one to day 7 with a spritz a day over the tank one spritz only, or should I say one in the morning and one in the later afternoon, after six pm. (dinner)LOL
Some folks use VE Vinegar Eels and some use MW mciroworms, either one is good but takes a c ulture to work with. egg yolk mix is by far the easier. and works great.

After one week old or so you should start to hatch BBS for your fry, this is not too bad but you should have a hatcher ready to go as well. they need a light on them to keep them warm and a little aquarium salt, I use a 2 litre bottle and mix mine up , see pic. http://brineshrimpdirect.com instructions and eggs for sale.
Posted Image
real easy , now here are a few pictures of plants and things you may find interesting,

Java moss,
Posted Image
Java fern
Posted Image
IAL in bags from Malaysia
Posted Image
Blood worms
Posted Image
White worms for feeding as they get older
Posted Image

Ok there ya go, hope this is helpful :)

Simple and straightforward. Great for people like me who tend to mix invoved instructions up. :>)

#4 Julee

Julee

Master of worlds.

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,551 posts
  • Betta Count:Everchanging
  • Referred By:Petfish.net

Posted 11 July 2007 - 07:36 AM

Great job!

#5 Au Duong Phong

Au Duong Phong

Wiggler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 22 July 2007 - 01:29 AM

Thank you for the infos. I've had the eggs to hatch couple of times back in the days but they usually die of in a few days. Never continued for success, but this time Im out to reach that point so I got a few more questions following your infos.

1) when mixing egg yolks in water and put in the spray bottle, don't they get spoiled after sometime? I would refrigerate it, but still, I wonder.

2) So I take out the female after he tries to kill her. But when should I take the male out? How long can he stay with the frys after hatching?

3) what is the purpose of putting in the almond leave, and will the same size banana leaf be as potent? More or less?

#6 Pam S

Pam S

UltimateBettas Veteran

• Elite Member
  • 5,480 posts
  • Betta Count:60 or so
  • Referred By:Yahoo search

Posted 22 July 2007 - 04:11 AM

Au,

A site that has good information on breeding bettas and raising fry is:

http://www.bettysplendens.com

Pam

#7 Au Duong Phong

Au Duong Phong

Wiggler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 23 July 2007 - 03:16 AM

Thanks Pam smile1.gif

But we can also improve this site with more informations too.

#8 bettabu

bettabu

Egg

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 03 August 2007 - 08:45 PM

I've only been a member for a few minutes, but I can already tell this is a great place for wannabe breeders to learn. smile1.gif Thanks!
  • Mr.Betta, GBTB90 and kimikoira like this

#9 ant

ant

Your one and only pest!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts
  • Betta Count:1 male

Posted 11 May 2008 - 12:01 PM

The web link doesn't work so, I would suggest you add the info from what wiggler asked cause I am wondering that to.

#10 Pam S

Pam S

UltimateBettas Veteran

• Elite Member
  • 5,480 posts
  • Betta Count:60 or so
  • Referred By:Yahoo search

Posted 11 May 2008 - 12:30 PM

I noticed her website is down... up now...

Victoria is back in business... and for the 2 1/2 years she has not been showing or breeding the site has been up ... although it did have a few days here and there when it was down.. It is a great storehouse of info for the new betta person.

But there are mods on this forum that have a vast knowledge about bettas... just need to ask..

Pam

Edited by Pam S, 11 May 2008 - 01:46 PM.

• Mr.Betta likes this

#11 nav2008

nav2008

Halfsun

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 880 posts
  • Betta Count:6 2cts,1sd,2pk 1?
  • Referred By:?

Posted 08 August 2008 - 08:13 PM

could a 30 gallon tank be used for breeding if it was divided into 3 rather than 2?

#12 phenger

phenger

Egg

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Referred By:panic

Posted 30 September 2008 - 06:39 PM

when do we feed them bbs? i was wondering if 78 degreee is good enough for the breeding tank? where do we spray the egg yoke in the tank by the fry or somewhere els?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq