• Total Fish Count:55
  • Referred By:yahooooooo-oo

Posted 23 September 2006 - 03:09 AM

what is it<
where can u get some<
how much<
any good<
that or pad?

what is it< It's basically the "innards" of a heat pad sandwiched between two layers of thln flexible plastic
how much< Price depends on width & length (clck here for website)
any good< I don't know, I just ordered mine (it better be ! LOL)
that or pad?< Depends on your needs. For me the tape could be cut to fit the shelves I keep my guys on. Pre-made pads were too short or too long. Plus tape is cheaper since you make it up yourself

I was going through the same delimma. To use a heat tape you also need a thermostat to control the temp. (with pads too) I use 1 gal jars to house my boys and I found this to be the most practical way to heat them since heaters aren't reccomended for tanks that small. This is where I got my stuff. They have heat tape in 3", 4", and 11", plus thermostats and pre-made heat pads too. Hope this helps! :D

Edited by They Call Me Betta Salad, 23 September 2006 - 03:36 AM.

• Ju Ni likes this

#3 pkt

pkt

Wiggler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 23 September 2006 - 09:34 AM

how would it work?
is it only good if set on plastic, or okay on wood or metal surfaces,
what kind of therm. would be good,
also what if the housing i think might be less then 1 gallon,
what kind of housing would be good?
would glass be okay?

the previous info was very helpful,
thank you
  • Ju Ni likes this

#4 Guest_Cid_*

Guest_Cid_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 September 2006 - 10:31 AM

Oohh thanks for the link!

Pkt, i honestly cant really help you because i have never used flexi watt with fish. Just herps and it was my friends set up.

Bettasalad lemmie know how it goes! I hope well ^^

#5 They Call Me Betta Salad

They Call Me Betta Salad

APPALACHIAN-AMERICAN

• Elite Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 478 posts
  • Betta Count:35 (17m + 18fm)

Posted 23 September 2006 - 09:33 PM

how would it work? Basically it would work like a heating pad, the heat would come from the bottom and radiate up. When the water reaches a preset temp (using a probe inserted into one tank), the thermostat turns the heat tape off until needed again.
is it only good if set on plastic, or okay on wood or metal surfaces, since it only reaches 90 to 100 degrees w/o thermostat, it should be safe on nearly any surface
what kind of therm. would be good, They had one at the above site that woud control up to 3 heat tapes for $30
also what if the housing i think might be less then 1 gallon, That will work, you just have to change the water more often. With 1 gal, you can do weekly water changes (as long as you don't overfeed) 1/2 gal should be changed every 3 days.
what kind of housing would be good? Personally, I wouldn't ever use anything under 1/2 gal, it's too cramped for the betta, plus you have to spend half of your time changing water (I'm lazy :D ) It needs a lid because bettas will jump out (anything placed over the container w/ air holes will work)
would glass be okay? I prefer glass, because it is easy to clean and don't scratch as easily as plastic

I should have my setup this week. After I get it situated and going I'll post again with my opinion of the system and how well it works!!

Edited by They Call Me Betta Salad, 23 September 2006 - 09:42 PM.

#6 They Call Me Betta Salad

They Call Me Betta Salad

APPALACHIAN-AMERICAN

• Elite Member
  • 478 posts

Posted 29 September 2006 - 04:12 AM

OK. I've got my tape heaters w/ thermostat set-up and going. Seems to work OK. :D The water temp of my new 1 gal jars was 72* to start and it took the better part of a day to heat to 78*, but when the thermotat clicked off, I checked the temp and it was exactly 78* as I had preset. The tape itself only gets warm - not hot at all, so I think it would be safe for any surface. I think that the only change I will make is to add a 1/2" layer of styrofoam insulation under the heat tape to reflect the heat up instead of heating the shelf itself. I think that would make it a little more efficient since I wouldn't be heating the shelf board. So far I would give this system a :ok1: Posted Image !!
Yeaaaah! I finally did an experiment that turned out good! :woot:

Edited by They Call Me Betta Salad, 29 September 2006 - 04:19 AM.

#7 Eudie

Eudie

1958-2010 RIP Baby

• Retired Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,627 posts
  • Betta Count:Who knows?
  • Total Fish Count:See Above
  • Referred By:In the beginning . . .
  • Statement:Don't be so open-minded; your brains will fall out.

Posted 29 September 2006 - 05:42 AM

Give us an idea of the total cost involved here, if you will. How many tanks of what size you are heating and approximately how much you paid for the entire set up of thermostat, tape, probes, etc.

I think we all have trouble keeping 1 gallon tanks at a stable temp and if this is cost effective in the long run, it might be something many more of us would want to look into. :yes:

#8 They Call Me Betta Salad

They Call Me Betta Salad

APPALACHIAN-AMERICAN

• Elite Member
  • 478 posts

Posted 29 September 2006 - 08:07 AM

I have six 1 gal wide mouth canning jars and three 1 gal goldfish bowls on 3 shelves. I used 8 ft. of 4" heat tape @ $2.40 per ft. = $19.20, 3 plug & connector sets @ $4.50 = $13.50, 1 thermostat = $30, shipping= $12 (??) Total = $74.70 (thermostat will control up to three heat tapes & is very accurate)
On the 2 shelves w/ gal jars, I have room to add another on each shelf for a total of 11 jars heated for $75
(couldn't buy 11 heaters for that price - even if they would work on gal. jars - plus the room they would take up inside such a small space & trying to manage 11 cords. three tapes plug into thermostat = 1 cord to plug the thermostat to power) Thermostat has 1 probe that I placed in the middle jar of the middle shelf = All three rows had identical temps!

The tape is also available in 3" width for $2.10 per foot and 11" for $3.60 per ft. The 11" can only be cut @ 1 ft. increments (??) whereas the 3" & 4" can be cut anylength.

This place had some of the most reasonable prices for pre-made heating mats I've seen and are available in various lengths and widths.

Edited by They Call Me Betta Salad, 29 September 2006 - 08:56 AM.

#9 Eudie

Eudie

1958-2010 RIP Baby

• Retired Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,627 posts
  • Betta Count:Who knows?
  • Total Fish Count:See Above
  • Referred By:In the beginning . . .
  • Statement:Don't be so open-minded; your brains will fall out.

Posted 29 September 2006 - 08:54 AM

:ty: :hugz:

I'm going to pin this. We are always trying to figure out the best way to heat the smaller set ups and this seems like an excellent idea if you have more than just a couple of bettas to keep warm.

:tup:

#10 Guest_Cid_*

Guest_Cid_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 September 2006 - 02:30 PM

Yay!!! I knew it would work.... I just needed someone with brains to put it all together! LOL rofl..

TY bettasalad!!! :hugz:
thanks eudies for the pinner!

#11 tygr1203

tygr1203

still crazy for yellows!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,013 posts
  • Betta Count:9
  • Total Fish Count:9
  • Referred By:google

Posted 29 September 2006 - 06:23 PM

wow thanks! this is great! i haven't gone over winter with my boys and girls yet.. hopefully i wont' need it but it does get down to the mid 70's in here..

#12 Linsun11

Linsun11

Alpha Betta

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,240 posts

Posted 04 October 2007 - 02:36 PM

This stuff looks awesome smile-222.gif

I think I'm going to get some for when I have to jar my babies...MUCH better than having 30+ heaters going all at once! happy1.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq