misti starr

Delta

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 283 posts
  • Referred By:google
  • Statement:Save a pit, neuter Vick!

Posted 15 February 2009 - 02:51 PM

I seem to get different info every web site I go to that pertains to gouramis. I have one opaline, 1 powder blue dwarf and 1 regular dwarf. The 2 dwarves seem to be the most aggressive, mostly towards eachother. I've read somewhere to have 3 females to every 1 male. Where I bought them I could not tell the difference between them, but I see that the two dwarves have different shapes to their heads and dorsal fins. So after reading that dwarf gouramis aren't easy to keep alive, I'd rather get more opaline, how do you tell the difference between the sexes, is it just the color thing? And how many could you safely house together? Also, do opaline get as big as blue gouramis?

#2 SMFishBoy

SMFishBoy

UltimateBettas Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,783 posts
  • Total Fish Count:22

Posted 15 February 2009 - 04:04 PM

Opalines are just a color morph of the 3 spot gourami (also called blue gourami), so they grow the same length. Males have a noticeably more pointed dorsal than females from a young age.

How big is your tank? Gouramis like to hang out at the top of the tank, and each male needs enough room to establish a good territory. Females are a lot more peaceful, and when I had 3 3 spot girls together, they would all swim together. But unless you have at least a 30 gallon, I wouldn't get anymore. The male will harass the females in tanks smaller than that, and will still do it some in a30 gallon.

#3 misti starr

misti starr

Delta

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 283 posts

Posted 15 February 2009 - 09:47 PM

I actually have a 29 gallon, I'm pretty sure the opaline is a female. I might actually move it into a 20 gal. long tank and just see if the pet store will take back the 2 dwarves, or see if I can find someone who can take them. They are just too mean to eachother and sound like they are too hard to keep alive from every thing I've been reading about them.

Edited by misti starr, 15 February 2009 - 09:55 PM.

#4 SMFishBoy

SMFishBoy

UltimateBettas Veteran

• Members
  • 3,783 posts

Posted 17 February 2009 - 03:16 PM

Dwarfs are notorious for being hard to keep b/c of the selective breeding to get all their pretty colors, and so now they have bad genetics, but good looks. Opalines, on the other hand, are extremely hardy. My first tropical fish tank had a female 3 spot (now called Hestia + in my avatar) , and she lived through an overcrowded and uncycled 10 gallon w/ enough fish to overstock a 30 gallon, numerous tank changes and upgrades, and now is in my community tank, and is about 5.5". I've never had a single problem w/ any of the color variations, so if you want gouramis, I highly recommend them.

#5 misti starr

misti starr

Delta

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 283 posts

Posted 17 February 2009 - 03:56 PM

So why is it that opalines are so hardy, aren't they selectivly bred? I totally agree that dwarves are just not good to have. My opaline is probably my favorite fish, well next to my oscar and my giant bettas, the bigger the fish the better. And after reading about how big opalines get (well, I guess 6 in. isn't THAT big but comapared to the majority of my other fish it is) I like her even more! I just wanna get more of them! So obviously mixing blue gouramis and opalines wouldn't be good?

#6 misti starr

misti starr

Delta

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 283 posts

Posted 17 February 2009 - 03:59 PM

Are snakeskin gouramis another color morph of the 3 spot?

#7 Saucy

Saucy

Spread the love

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,833 posts
  • Betta Count:3
  • Total Fish Count:TONS
  • Referred By:BettaMomma!!
  • Statement:"The measure of a society can be how well its people treat its animals." ~ Gandhi

Posted 17 February 2009 - 07:13 PM

Snakeskins are actually a different species. Gouramis are very easy to sex... the females have a rounded dorsal fin. The males have a pointed dorsal fin. It should be very easy for you to tell them apart.

I'd suggest not adding anymore gouramis to that tank and going for a large tetra or rainbow instead. You have enough aggressive fish in there that you could handle some to mellow it out.

#8 SMFishBoy

SMFishBoy

UltimateBettas Veteran

• Members
  • 3,783 posts

Posted 18 February 2009 - 05:20 PM

Snakeskins are in the same family, but different species.

Opalines have been selectively bred, but not nearly to the degree that dwarfs have. It's all about genetics. When you selectively breed for one trait, you often ignore others unintentionally, and it just happened that when they started breeding dwarfs, the colorful ones had bad genes for hardiness, like disease resistance. But w/ other species, like bettas and 3 spots, the pretty ones also happened to have good genes all around. Don't know if that makes sense, but it does in my head.

Blues and opalines can go together as long as each has enough room for their own territory. Females aren't as territorial as males, so you can keep more of them together.

#9 Redd

Redd

Wiggler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • Betta Count:11
  • Total Fish Count:11 and 4 snails
  • Referred By:members of Aquarium Advice
  • Statement:What started as one fish for my wife turned into something i enjoy tending to.

Posted 30 January 2012 - 09:17 AM

Hey Misti, I'm researching different post now so I won't be in your dilemma in a few months as I want to set up a Gourami tank with a few Dwarfs (4) and maybe one Opaline, Pearl, or Moon. I have a 35long so the feedback your getting is usefull. Hope all works out with you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq