Photo

Owner of New "King" Betta, Giant Plakat???

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Pisces8326

Pisces8326

Wiggler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 28 December 2008 - 04:24 PM

I purchased a "King" betta from Petco and there seems to be some confusion as to the background of these. Can somebody give me some more information on them? Are they giants? What exactly are they? I'm guessing the feeding and everything else (except tank size) is the same as for regular sized bettas , right?

This is Trent, does he look okay?

#2 Kelso

Kelso

Super-Delta

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 357 posts
  • Betta Count:2
  • Total Fish Count:11

Posted 28 December 2008 - 04:33 PM

Oh wow, very pretty guy. thumb5.gif

From what I've been able to tell, all these "giants" are just plakats. I don't think they're actual giant bettas, though.. At least the ones I've seen at my Petco aren't much different, size-wise, from the others. Maybe half an inch bigger, at best. Although I haven't been able to snag one myself yet, most of my friends who have bought them are just caring for them like they do any other betta, and they're doing fine.

Edited by Kelso, 28 December 2008 - 04:49 PM.

#3 Kendra

Kendra

Betta Love Doctor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,885 posts
  • Betta Count:Growing
  • Total Fish Count:Growing
  • Referred By:My betta
  • Statement:Good in some, evil in all, is the reason why humans will fall.

Posted 28 December 2008 - 08:14 PM

I'm not sure if they are 100% pure giants, but possibly half giants. I have a petco king and a regular plakat. Both are fed the same food, both have 3 gallons of clean water in a planted tank, and both are very healthy. Yet the Petco king is still bigger by an inch and very thick in body. I feed my regular plakat very well and he's full grown, but not as thick as these petco kings are. There's definitly a difference IMO, but others could say differently. Some people have posted photos of their "king" bettas and they look just like regular plakats to me. It could just be where the stores get their fish....hard to tell. All I can say is that there are 5 different Petcos in my area and all have large "king" bettas.

#4 big54bob

big54bob

Losing

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 974 posts
  • Betta Count:1 M 'Monkey Puzzle'
  • Total Fish Count:1, 2, STAND STILL FISHIEZ
  • Referred By:Charlie Sheen's Coke dealer
  • Statement:*burpfartsneezesnoreslurp*

Posted 28 December 2008 - 11:03 PM

I say they are a really old betta.

#5 Nelson

Nelson

"Happiness is a hand full of salamanders" -Palor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,842 posts
  • Betta Count:7
  • Total Fish Count:8
  • Referred By:SupersonicMuffin/Limefox

Posted 29 December 2008 - 06:22 PM

I'd say that either they are bred to be thick and a little longer, or they have giant in them. Definitely not full giants, but it may be in there.

Great looking fish, btw.

#6 Pisces8326

Pisces8326

Wiggler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 03 January 2009 - 11:53 PM

I'm sad to report that Trent is no longer with me, he went to fishy heaven sader1.gif Not even a day after those pictures were taken he started to develop cottony growths around his dorsal fin, I'm guessing it was extremely fast spreading because I didn't notice it the day before. Unfortunately he died within a few hours after I noticed the growth, there was really nothing I could've done. Sooo...being stupid I returned the dead fish to Petco (they have a 15 day return policy on their fish) and got ANOTHER giant plakat from that damned store, this one looks a little better, but I added some anti fungal tablets to his tank juuuust in case.

He's huuuuge!

#7 katsrevenge

katsrevenge

Queen Zombie

• Members
  • 5,260 posts
  • Total Fish Count:Some
  • Referred By:your mom
  • Statement:“The need to be right is the sign of a vulgar mind.” Camus

Posted 04 January 2009 - 02:14 AM

Meep. I hope this one is OK.

#8 LouisaMaeBrown

LouisaMaeBrown

UltimateBettas Veteran

• Elite Member
  • 7,745 posts
  • Betta Count:Ever changing :)
  • Referred By:internet search
  • Statement:I am NOT addicted!.... okay, maybe I am, a little.

Posted 04 January 2009 - 08:00 AM

I just bought one of the "king" bettas recently. He is at least 1.5 inches longer than any of the other plakats I own, and much larger than any of my 1 year old bettas. His body is really thick, much thicker than the other bettas I own. I believe Petco's "kings" are at least 1/2 giant.

Sorry about your first guy, hopefully the 2nd one will work out much better.

Edited by LouisaMaeBrown, 04 January 2009 - 08:01 AM.

#9 saretta

saretta

My Betta's Mamma

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 256 posts
  • Total Fish Count:12
  • Referred By:Yahoo Answers if you can believe it!

Posted 04 January 2009 - 09:48 AM

I've said in a different post they ARE half giants. The guy at Petco is a fish fanatic (It's the best place IMO in my town to get fish) and he's never been wrong before. If you compair them even to old plakets, there's no compairison. They're far larger.

#10 Bettas4me400

Bettas4me400

Juvie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 04 January 2009 - 10:27 AM

oh so sorry about your loss hope you feel better after a few more bettas!
I lost my birthday presant to white fungus (I bet you can guess what it was, a betta) and was very very sad bye6.gif but got over it after a few days and picked up another betta and I lost him to that to, but all my females seem healthy and happy now exept for my blue female betta she has white stuff in her eye but is acting fine it's weard unsure12.gif but you could post your dead betta pics on a thread called betta hevan blueflower.jpg

have a great day,
Emily/bettas4me400 horse.gif -funny

#11 Phaj Ej

Phaj Ej

Halfsun

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 823 posts
  • Betta Count:100
  • Total Fish Count:100
  • Referred By:you

Posted 04 January 2009 - 10:43 PM

yep...my "king" had some solumnaris type disease when I first got him too. But I treated him right away, so he's doing reallly good right now. Made the biggeest bubble nest I've ever seen too!

#12 Alanna

Alanna

Aran, my sexy new boy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,116 posts
  • Betta Count:18.
  • Total Fish Count:18.
  • Referred By:Google
  • Statement:Ghost Shrimp are one of the only good male betta tankmates. REPEAT AFTER ME!

Posted 20 January 2009 - 07:12 PM

It seems to be a common complaint with the king bettas; Viktor, my soon to be daddy (crossing fingers and knocking on wood) came to me with a small patch of columnaris and missing a chunk of his tail and part of his mouth. Now, a week and a half later he's completely cured and building the most beautiful nests I've ever seen! I agree with the ID that they are half-giants at least; having had plakats in the past, my Viktor is nearly 3 inches long not including his tail and far chunkier than any PK I've seen.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq