#1 bubby

bubby

Egg

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Total Fish Count:25 and 4

Posted 21 December 2008 - 11:11 AM

Ok I have a 29 gallon tank with 1 male betta and 5 female bettas and I wanna see what will happen if I add 2 dwarf gouramis I've been researching for days know and thinking on and one I would really like to try it and I have 2 extra tanks if anything goes wrong. Should I do it?

#2 Katzyn

Katzyn

.:Kitty Katzyn:.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,283 posts
  • Betta Count:1 male
  • Referred By:Goooooogle~

Posted 21 December 2008 - 05:58 PM

I'd take out the male betta, first. =P

I have one male dwarf gourami and 1 female betta, together, and they have been together for about four months now, and there is a little nipping, but nothing serious. Definately have those spare tanks READY. I have a feeling that at first, for the first few days, it will be calm and peaceful, but then there will probably be some nipping. How bad the nipping will be, I don't know.

#3 Palor

Palor

The Enabler....Buy a gecko :)

• 4,461 posts
  • Betta Count:2
  • Total Fish Count:2
  • Referred By:I wandered in on my own
  • Statement:I am not addicted!

Posted 21 December 2008 - 07:45 PM

In my experience Betta + Gourami = Tragedy. I caution against it. There is not any way to predict how the gourami will react to betta or the bettas to the gourami.

#4 Guest_PearlBetta_*

Guest_PearlBetta_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 December 2008 - 07:33 PM

If you want to try it, put the gourami in a breeding tank if possible.
I have heard of it working out in large enough tanks and combos such as male gourami/female betta.

OFF topic:
Your male/female betta mix may not last long term either in a tank that size.

#5 Nelson

Nelson

"Happiness is a hand full of salamanders" -Palor

• Members
  • 4,842 posts
  • Betta Count:7
  • Total Fish Count:8
  • Referred By:SupersonicMuffin/Limefox

Posted 23 December 2008 - 02:50 PM

Why would you keep male bettas and female bettas together like that?

And gouramis will most likely NOT go well with bettas. I advise against putting them together.

#6 SMFishBoy

SMFishBoy

UltimateBettas Veteran

• Members
  • 3,783 posts
  • Total Fish Count:22

Posted 06 January 2009 - 01:24 PM

I have had some gouramis in with bettas w/ no problems. But I got them when they were really young, so they must've just gotten used to each other. But both gouramis and bettas like the top part of your aquarium, so there might be some squabbling over territory, esp. btw any males in the tank. I would get the spare tank set up just in case, and have it cycling since dwarfs aren't at all fond of bad water quality.

Edited by SMFishBoy, 06 January 2009 - 01:25 PM.

#7 Katzyn

Katzyn

.:Kitty Katzyn:.

• Members
  • 3,283 posts
  • Betta Count:1 male
  • Referred By:Goooooogle~

Posted 06 January 2009 - 02:31 PM

My male dwarf gets along great with all 11 female bettas in my 20 gallon tank. And he always lets them know if they are too close; he touches them with both of his little tentacles. XD By the time he decides to chase them away, they have already turned tail because his tentacles touched them.

The only female he doesn't ever chase is Asura, and I believe that is because they have been together for about four months now.

#8 Psybock

Psybock

Growing up in the Swamp has it's advantages...

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,876 posts
  • Betta Count:Splendens < Wild
  • Total Fish Count:Fish > Money
  • Statement:MADNESS!!!!!!

Posted 06 January 2009 - 08:00 PM

2 moonlights, 2 pearls, 3 dwarf honeys, and 2 sparkling gouramis all existed rather well with 13 female bettas in a 29 gallon...the bettas picked on each other more than the gouramis did, they were mostly shy by comparisson, even though 4 of the gouramis were 3x the size of the biggest female betta...now I have 3 black paradise gouramis in there and I'm in no way going to put bettas back in with that being in there (all 13 died during the months of august and september to illnesses that struck all of a sudden and didn't hurt any of the gouramis or catfish in the process...) b/c every paradise I've had rips bettas to shreds...although they seem to be fine with females I'm not trying that again...

Kevin

#9 SMFishBoy

SMFishBoy

UltimateBettas Veteran

• Members
  • 3,783 posts
  • Total Fish Count:22

Posted 07 January 2009 - 06:21 AM

P - If your paradise gourami is a Macropodus species, it needs cooler water than the other gouramis.

#10 Psybock

Psybock

Growing up in the Swamp has it's advantages...

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,876 posts
  • Betta Count:Splendens < Wild
  • Total Fish Count:Fish > Money
  • Statement:MADNESS!!!!!!

Posted 07 January 2009 - 08:50 PM

Depends on the Mac species...blacks need it higher than the others, blues/reds/albinos need it anywhere from 65-75 (although I've had them thrive at temps between 60-90 and actually bred in the higher 80's just fine), blacks and chinese need it to be more in the low to mid 70's...rather than 60's...but also remember, these fish do have fluxes int the wild, it isn't always a constant 76 degrees where they're at, most of these guys can handle seasonal changes of a few degrees, in the summer they exist fine at 80 degrees and in the winter they've done fine at 76 degrees...it just depends. It also depends on if the blacks I have in question are Macropodus spechti or Macropodus Opercularis Concolor...

#11 Redd

Redd

Wiggler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • Betta Count:11
  • Total Fish Count:11 and 4 snails
  • Referred By:members of Aquarium Advice
  • Statement:What started as one fish for my wife turned into something i enjoy tending to.

Posted 30 January 2012 - 10:14 AM

Ey Psybock, that fish selection is something I'm researching different post now to see if it'll work. I want to set up a Gourami tank with a few Dwarfs (4) and maybe one Opaline, Pearl, or Moon. I have a 35long so the feedback I'm getting here is usefull. Bubby, i'd love to do a Betta/Gouramis set up but read that's a NO-NO, hope all works out with you.

#12 DigitalCrash

DigitalCrash

Wiggler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
  • Betta Count:100+
  • Total Fish Count:Must be 150+

Posted 15 June 2012 - 02:09 PM

I happened to end up with a female black paradise fish. She would not breed with other paradise fish at all. So, on a whim, I put her in one of my breeding tubs with a "monster" HMPK, a proven breeder.

Well, she took an instant "shine" to my HMPK and of course, vice versa. They bred. Yup! They did. Although the eggs never hatched, they were a match in compatibility. She really likes him. And he does not tear her fins like most male bettas do while breeding. Guess she is just too willing. LOL!

Given that all of the fish, including gouramis and paradise fish, are in the same family... anything can happen.

But, as stated above, I would also remove the male betta first. That's his territory. He may attack your new male dwarfs. Even the female bettas may attack the female dwarfs. Female bettas can be brutal also, even towards each other. So keep an eye on them. After a couple of weeks try reintroducing the male betta. See how it goes.

I do know first hand that they can get along and even breed out of their species. Just not sure with so many in the pot at once! Certainly, breeding either of the species all in a tank together will be a "no go". They will destroy each others nests and just pester each other. You'd have better luck keeping the dwarfs separate for breeding. Betta eggs sink... gouramis float. And the gouramis don't necessarily have to be removed from the breeding tank. Bettas ya should if ya want fry to grow.

Good luck!!

Digital

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq