indoxsmokez

Veiltail

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 268 posts
  • Betta Count:2 veiltails, 1 crowntail
  • Total Fish Count:10

Posted 16 November 2008 - 10:28 PM

So my obese goldfish hae been having problems lately. The other day after feeding he had a problem with his "buoyancy". If he was not swimming he would keep floating up, thinking that he was just constipated, I did not feed him for a couple days and the "floating" has gotten better but now if he does not swim he kind of sinks to the bottom. I feel bad for him because he is always struggling it seems like. So today i saw him going to the bathroom, but when he pooped what came out was a CLEAR and THIN piece of poop, NOT WHITE but CLEAR, TRANSPARENT, etc.. Anyway from my "research"(mainly of search results of google lol) Ive come down to 2 possible conclusions. Either he is just constipated and the clear poop will go away OR he has an internal bacterial infection? Again I base this off what I was able to find on the internet so what im saying is, i dont know what i am talking about so please help me? haha. Was i completely wrong in my diagnosis? if so what IS the reason that my goldfish is pooping out clear thin strings of poop? please help because if it is bacterial then i will move him to another tank IMMEDIATELY because i do not want to get my other goldfish sick. (ps. they are both fancy tailed goldfish)

#2 RandomWiktor

RandomWiktor

I put the "fun" in fundamentalist!

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,480 posts
  • Betta Count:8
  • Total Fish Count:Between several and many.
  • Referred By:I was sucked in by UB's gravitational force.
  • Statement:We weep for a bird's cry but not for a fish's blood; blessed are those with a voice.

Posted 17 November 2008 - 04:19 AM

What are you feeding your goldfish, and how? When your fish was having issues with buoyancy, did you see any feces, or did you just figure it was constipation?

#3 indoxsmokez

indoxsmokez

Veiltail

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 268 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 08:30 PM

QUOTE (RandomWiktor @ Nov 17 2008, 02:19 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
What are you feeding your goldfish, and how? When your fish was having issues with buoyancy, did you see any feces, or did you just figure it was constipation?

i alternate between tetra flakes and a pellet food from a tropical store...and yes i did see feces while he had the buoyancy problem but not sure when he started poopin...and the poop was clear and thin but not long...i would say regular length as if it was a healthy poo....and im just hoping it is just constipation...but i honestly dont know

#4 RandomWiktor

RandomWiktor

I put the "fun" in fundamentalist!

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,480 posts
  • Betta Count:8
  • Total Fish Count:Between several and many.
  • Referred By:I was sucked in by UB's gravitational force.
  • Statement:We weep for a bird's cry but not for a fish's blood; blessed are those with a voice.

Posted 17 November 2008 - 08:35 PM

Chuck the flakes; fancies shouldn't be eating them. They absorb moisture in the gut and swell which can cause both buoyancy problems and constipation. The clear feces could be from constipation or could be from the fasting as I've had this happen to mine during fasts, but if it doesn't go back to normal pretty quickly after normal feeding resumes, I would consider treating for parasites.
What type of pellet are you feeding? Unless it is New Life Spectrum or Progold try pre-soaking in just enough water to plump the pellets. This will help prevent constipation and bloating.

#5 indoxsmokez

indoxsmokez

Veiltail

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 268 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 02:44 AM

well i do presoak both the pellets and flakes before throwin it in the tank...so u think maybe it cold be from the fast? kuz after that whole buoyancy problem, they goldfish did not eat for 2 or 3 days...and wen they did eat after the 3rd day i dint feed em too much....and they are small pellets too...i only gie em 3 each...should i feed em more?

#6 Angie

Angie

What goes around comes around.

• Elite Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,997 posts
  • Betta Count:2 males
  • Total Fish Count:17 plus fry

Posted 21 November 2008 - 06:02 AM

You can keep the flakes. Just be sure to soak them first before you feed so they don't float. Also a few peas once or twice a week it good for goldfish just take the skin off. It well help with the floaty problem. I feed mine duck weed cause I have a lot of it and don't have to peel it. lol

However I would look for a goldfish food. Their diet needs are different then tropicals. Also look for some medicated food. I get my pellet and medicated foods from goldfish connection.

I also feed frozen foods. (At room temp of course) Bloodworm's, brine shrimps etc at least twice a week to my goldfish. I would also recommend fasting just one day a week if even that. I rarely fast mine unless I just don't have time or forget. Or if I over feed like I did yesterday (to much come out of the bottle) so today they well fast.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq