#1 KarlaBob

KarlaBob

Halfmoon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 772 posts
  • Betta Count:1

Posted 16 September 2008 - 07:52 PM

I currently have Bob in a 2.5gal mini-bow aquarium with some decoration and a bit of gravel (mostly took it out because it was a PITA to clean).

A long time ago, I kept some Lucky Bamboo in a vase full of water...never had a problem with rotting, drying, etc. And recently, I got the planting bug and want to add something pretty to Bob's tank.

Can I use Lucky Bamboo in my aquarium? Can it be fully submerged, or not? Somewhere I read that I had to keep the top brown part dry, at least...is that true?

All/any info on this topic is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

#2 nelo

nelo

Shake Your Groove Thing

• Elite Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,375 posts
  • Betta Count:3
  • Total Fish Count:>3
  • Statement:ALL YOUR BETTA ARE BELONG TO US.

Posted 16 September 2008 - 08:00 PM

Pretty sure you have to keep all he leaves/shoots out of the water, but you can keep the long stalk part and roots in. A nice long stalk would probably be pretty cool, I know at my lows they'll sell a huge stick of lucky bamboo for really cheap and I think you could cut it to the appropriate size to stick out of the water.

I head fish water was good for plants too.

But... I know I always hear that lucky bamboo is NOT aquatic, but just putting the bottom underwater I think is fine? My bamboo plants are in a mix of gravel and water already, so I don't think a fish tank would be much different. Though, like any other plant you put in an aquarium, you'd have to watch to make sure it doesn't rot.

But I've never tried it, so I'd wait for someone who actually has tried it (or knows more abotu lucky bamboo in general) to say their thoughts on the matter.

#3 KarlaBob

KarlaBob

Halfmoon

• Members
  • 772 posts

Posted 16 September 2008 - 08:04 PM

Thing is, I have kept Lucky Bamboo before. Didn't keep it for long, because a friend turned out to be allergic to it, but I had it for months and I experienced no rotting. It was in plain water, too, no gravel...and I am pretty sure at least one of the smaller leaves was submerged.

Bob's mini-bow has a little "hole" sorta on the hood to accomodate the filter it came with, so I could probably put the bamboo in that corner and if it grew out it could come out through the hole.

#4 nelo

nelo

Shake Your Groove Thing

• Elite Member
  • 3,375 posts
  • Betta Count:3
  • Total Fish Count:>3
  • Statement:ALL YOUR BETTA ARE BELONG TO US.

Posted 16 September 2008 - 08:32 PM

Well, one small leave under water, sure, but I still wouldn't completely submerge it. But if you stuck one in the back, in that hole, with only the part you usually have submerged under water.

I think mine rot a little because they're old and have ties aroudn them that might be coming apart a bit from being wet.

#5 Angie

Angie

What goes around comes around.

• Elite Member
  • 2,997 posts
  • Betta Count:2 males
  • Total Fish Count:17 plus fry

Posted 17 September 2008 - 04:52 AM

Mine is completely underwater. I have had it in the tank for over 6 months now. I have a black thumb when it comes to house plants so for me they live 10 times longer in the tank then out. lol

#6 Guest_PearlBetta_*

Guest_PearlBetta_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 September 2008 - 06:38 AM

Lucky bamboo does well in an aquarium. Only thing is you can't fully cover your tank anymore due to the heigh of the plant. So you'd have a plant that'll grow far above your tank.
So you either have to have a low water level to avoid jumping or have a hole where your betta might jump out...Though from what I've seen and experienced bettas hardly ever jump.

#7 Sphinx

Sphinx

Super-Delta

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 398 posts
  • Betta Count:0
  • Total Fish Count:0 and 1 kitty cat.

Posted 17 September 2008 - 12:33 PM

Are you sure it's Lucky Bamboo...or could it be Lily bamboo? Lily bamboo is aquatic and can be kept completely immersed in water.

#8 KarlaBob

KarlaBob

Halfmoon

• Members
  • 772 posts

Posted 17 September 2008 - 02:34 PM

I'll have to run a few tests. I will purchase a small one, and keep it covered in fishy water from my next water change to see if it rots or not. I dont know if the ones they sell here are lily or lucky bamboo. Usually you find them at feng shui places and they need a LOT of water. Most people just keep them in clear vases with water to the brim.

#9 VelvetDragon

VelvetDragon

we build the wall to keep us free

• Administrator
  • 5,871 posts
  • Referred By:haley
  • Statement:I believe -- I believe -- everyday's a good day when you paint

Posted 19 September 2008 - 01:06 AM

Lucky Bamboo is a Dracaena species. It is not aquatic, and most of the time, will not live underwater for long. Unfortunately, the rotting foliage can pollute your water, so be careful with that.

Personally, I would never submerge a lucky bamboo. Yes, they might live, but they won't reach their full potential. Some people don't care, of course, and if you're careful with the rotting, then that's fine. It's not like they're expensive.

However, these are my five year old lucky bamboos:

I've certainly never seen them look like THAT underwater in an aquarium!

They can do great "sticking out" of an aquarium though. The ones with the long stalks (not the ones in the petstore, usually) are best for it. The leaves should be above the water line. Here are some examples of that:

http://www.aquariumb...-1154583922.jpg
http://img.photobuck...ee/133_4427.jpg

The main thing to keep in mind with that is bettas are jumpers. Some bettas jump a lot, some never do, but you should always assume they will and cover your tank, or you'll risk ending up with a potato chip fish on the floor. There are various solutions to this if you want to do the partially submerged thing with the bamboo.

* Have a low water level in a large tank (such as in the second photo). Bettas can jump ~3 inches, so a waterline 4 or 5 inches below the top of the tank is the minimum. You'd need a nice big tank to do this in, of course.

* Drape the whole thing with a fine netting, which can be rubberbanded around the top of the aquarium. Not very attractive, and kind of defeats the purpose of lucky bamboo sticking up I think, but it would work.

* Cut plastic canvas as a lid to fit snug around the bamboo, like it is cut around these wires:

(I can make a picture of it around actual lucky bamboo if this doesn't make sense and it would help, plastic canvas is sooo cheap and I have a bunch of it.) It will fit quite snug -- in fact, the bamboo would hold it in place -- and there will be no hole around the plant for the betta to jump out. More attractive than the netting, less attractive than the dropped water line.

#10 Angie

Angie

What goes around comes around.

• Elite Member
  • 2,997 posts
  • Betta Count:2 males
  • Total Fish Count:17 plus fry

Posted 19 September 2008 - 10:34 AM

Hmmm Maybe I should find a way to elevate mine so it can stick out the back then. Wont take much.

#11 VelvetDragon

VelvetDragon

we build the wall to keep us free

• Administrator
  • 5,871 posts
  • Referred By:haley
  • Statement:I believe -- I believe -- everyday's a good day when you paint

Posted 19 September 2008 - 12:26 PM

I couldn't find a picture of it online, but I wonder if this would work around the shorter stalked bamboo -- putting the bamboo in it's own vase inside the aquarium.

Hurrhurr, I drew a picture.

#12 aemi

aemi

Animals Lover

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts
  • Total Fish Count:1
  • Referred By:Google

Posted 09 October 2008 - 05:55 PM

for 2 weeks I keep my bamboo in the tank and no rotting yet