Intrigued

Fry

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts
  • Betta Count:5
  • Total Fish Count:7

Posted 10 September 2008 - 09:46 PM

Bleh, this is really hard to describe, which is why I tried to get pictures, but failed. I just noticed this today - my betta has some discoloration about her face on both sides, it doesn't look like the white fungus I've seen, it's more of greenish uniform splotches. She also has a little bit of faded color under her belly. This has been a recovery on her part, as her belly seemed to be a bit overexerted when I got her. She was being overfed, but it has definitely calmed down, and she has lost some weight and is looking healthier.

Oh, she also seems to be darting around moreso than her regular movements, and opening her mouth really wide when she comes up to the glass to see me, like in big bites/gulps. I don't see any white spots anywhere (that would look like ich). The darting has made it very difficult to get a picture. Finally, it's gotten a little bit colder the past few nights, and I am just setting up the heater now. Until this, it's been very summer type weather and the tank temp has been hovering right around 78-82. When I checked it while setting up the heater it was at around 73, though early morning hours it might have been lower than this sader1.gif. Does anyone have an idea what this might be?

The setup is a 10 gallon tank with a hanging filter, now it has the heater, some plastic decorations, gravel on the bottom, no live plants.

#2 tangers40

tangers40

Crazy fish lady in training

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,310 posts
  • Betta Count:2...a boy n a girl

Posted 10 September 2008 - 10:43 PM

is she scratching or darting against anything? if so, use a flashlight and check her for velvet. the excitedness when you come to see her is normal....ALL of mine do that lol. but there's a difference between excitedness and itchy. it's pretty distinct, you'd know scratching if you saw it. they'll rub themselves up against pretty much anything, then dart away and scratch on something else. velvet is a very real possibility if her tank has been getting that cool. definitely get that heater going.

#3 Rayman86

Rayman86

Plakat

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 459 posts
  • Betta Count:2
  • Total Fish Count:2
  • Referred By:Google
  • Statement:I wish I was in a wheel chair...i'd never have to get up for anything!

Posted 10 September 2008 - 11:36 PM

Do you know roughly how old the fish is? Im not too certain but some discolouration around the face as ive found is common in ageing and starts to come out after one year of age. I would deffinately rule out any sickness first BEFORE concluding that this is what your betta is going through though.

#4 phyrestorm999

phyrestorm999

Plakat

• Members
  • 485 posts
  • Betta Count:8
  • Total Fish Count:12
  • Statement:Comfort the disturbed. Disturb the comfortable.

Posted 11 September 2008 - 02:41 AM

My guess is that if her face is just pale and the texture hasn't changed, it's stress, likely caused by parasites like tangers40 said. I have a male who very rarely shows stress stripes, but his face goes pale when he's unhappy.

#5 Intrigued

Intrigued

Fry

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 11 September 2008 - 07:07 AM

Hmm, okay, I did another check in the morning before I came to work today. The discoloration is there. The betta was bought from a store maybe 2-3 months ago, 4 max, so I can't tell you the age exactly, but I don't think she should be TOO old. It also seemed to occur overnight, and I very well think it could have to do with the colder weather. I got the heater up and running last night, and when I checked the temperature this morning it was at 77 (and it must have been a bit below that). She seemed to be darting less and moving a bit more slowly, but I don't know, I'll keep checking in on her. She didn't seem to really be scratching on anything, just darting around.

She also has a peculiar behavior of pacing, especially when I am at the glass. I have 3, and they all get excited about me being there, but she will always get right up to the glass and pace left and right in the span of about 5 inches maybe. When I checked her yesterday, she was dart-pacing, going back and forth way quicker than normal, and I couldn't get any sort of picture.

I guess I will just need to check again tonight and get a better hold on the situation. She is still eating healthily and swimming about, so if she has slowed down the darting (with the warmer temperature) she will be acting fairly normal, aside from the discoloration. I will also do the check for velvet tonight.

Thanks all for the help. If anyone else has any ideas, I would be very open to hear any of it, as I just want her to get better!

#6 nelo

nelo

Shake Your Groove Thing

• Elite Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,375 posts
  • Betta Count:3
  • Total Fish Count:>3
  • Statement:ALL YOUR BETTA ARE BELONG TO US.

Posted 11 September 2008 - 11:05 AM

My girl and my small boy both pace against the side, even when I upgraded my girl to a 2.5gal tupperware (though she does seem to pace a little less? I don't know, it was only a few days ago haven't had much chance to observe). My big boy also used to pace in his 2.5gal, but when I upgraded him to a 5gal he stopped.

I heard many petstore bettas are baout a year old already, though I know a lot of young girl bettas are sold, depends on her size I think.

My girl... I don't know about darting, but she's quite the fast swimmer. I think it's her lack of finnage.

Good luck with her.

#7 Eudie

Eudie

1958-2010 RIP Baby

• Retired Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,627 posts
  • Betta Count:Who knows?
  • Total Fish Count:See Above
  • Referred By:In the beginning . . .
  • Statement:Don't be so open-minded; your brains will fall out.

Posted 15 September 2008 - 07:30 AM

Keep a close watch on that. Sometimes columnaris starts out with discoloration on the face, I'd read up on it in the pinned topics.

http://www.ultimateb...p?showtopic=917

It's a really nasty disease and the sooner you get a handle on it, if indeed it is columnaris, the better chance you have of pulling them through it.

#8 littlesushi

littlesushi

Fry

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts
  • Betta Count:1

Posted 16 October 2008 - 10:10 AM

i hope everything is going ok for you! <3 i feel like i went through the EXACT same thing..i got felix about 3 weeks ago and the first week he was happy and exploring the tank and he made a bubble nest! and i started to notice his face was getting some greenish gray splotching..and then he started to act funny..darting around, and pacing all the time..

last friday with a flashlight i saw golden patches where i had previously seen the green, so i suspected velvet. i am currently using maricide on him but i'm considering in switching to rid ich as it seems like the gold is spreading to his belly and although he did calm down for a couple days, he is pacing again.!! turned up the temp to 84 and put a towel to cover the tank.

anyway, i just hope your gal hangs in there..just wanted to let you know that i'm in your shoes too.

#9 Niffers

Niffers

Plakat

• Members
  • 535 posts
  • Statement:If I don't remember, it didn't happen!

Posted 16 October 2008 - 11:44 AM

I think people are over reacting shooting right to things like velvet and columnaris.

Cool temps stress bettas and bettas lose color when they're stressed.

The first step is to get the tank to a steady temp of around 80 and then observe.

#10 Intrigued

Intrigued

Fry

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 03 November 2008 - 10:13 AM

Just figured I would give a little update. This is just about 2 months later. I now have 6 girls in the sorority, and am having no issues. The betta does appear to have the same facial (dis)coloring at times. I did run through the full medication as mentioned, but I really think this is just how she looks. I'm happy that there have been no complications due to medication, as that would make me feel terrible! Thanks all for the help, hope everyone's bettas are staying healthy!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq