My betta is about one year old

recently he has been sick.

this picture of him is a week old
http://img102.images...=img2172ju9.jpg

now here are pictures from now Untitled-1b(4).gif

http://img528.images...=img2192yy6.jpg
http://img104.images...=img2194wu2.jpg

second problem: he doesn't eat

I feed him bloodworms and now i have hikari bio gold baby pellet. he doesn't eat either Untitled-1b(4).gif

is their a chance the bloodworms are stale??? is he dying? what can i do to save him for under 10 dollars?

#2 HeidiNIndi

HeidiNIndi

Veiltail

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 272 posts
  • Betta Count:28
  • Total Fish Count:28
  • Referred By:No one

Posted 12 August 2008 - 03:37 PM

He looks like he's losing color from being sick. What is his water quality? If you haven't changed his water already, do that, using good water (if you're unsure of your tap water quality, use bottled water for this one) with water conditioner. I had one fish that lost his color and regained it within an hour when his water was fresh again.

BUT he may have some additional illness, especially because he's not eating. The black edging on his tail suggests tail rot as a possibility, though it's hard to tell from the picture. Is his tail ragged and frayed at the edges or has it gotten shorter? It looks kind of short in the picture, but I don't know if it used to be longer. If so, then you may need to treat for that with an antibiotic - you can find them at a good pet store or fish store for under $10 if you get a small box.

Here's a website that shows pictures of common betta illnesses, including fin rot. It also tells a little about the disease and how to treat it. The antibiotics recommended on this site are those are the ones included in the Betta First Aid Kit sold on the website. They are good ones, but you can use others, too if you can't find those (e.g. Chloramphenical, Emythromycin, etc.)

http://www.bettatalk...ta_diseases.htm

I won't try to do any additional diagnosis as I'm not an expert on this. Others with more experience may see something else in those pictures. But I would definitely recommend a water change if you haven't already done that, then read about fin rot and see if it fits.

Good luck!

#3 Tyler

Tyler

Crowntail

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 573 posts
  • Betta Count:one betta

Posted 12 August 2008 - 03:46 PM

QUOTE (ak47 @ Aug 12 2008, 12:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
My betta is about one year old

recently he has been sick.

this picture of him is a week old
http://img102.images...=img2172ju9.jpg

now here are pictures from now Untitled-1b(4).gif

http://img528.images...=img2192yy6.jpg
http://img104.images...=img2194wu2.jpg

second problem: he doesn't eat

I feed him bloodworms and now i have hikari bio gold baby pellet. he doesn't eat either Untitled-1b(4).gif

is their a chance the bloodworms are stale??? is he dying? what can i do to save him for under 10 dollars?

I realize you don't know what to do, but you can't put money on life. When you adopt your Betta you should prepare yourself to do whatever you can to save it!

Edited by Tyler, 12 August 2008 - 04:16 PM.

#4 ak47

ak47

Egg

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 12 August 2008 - 04:13 PM

QUOTE (Tyler @ Aug 12 2008, 03:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I realize you don't know what to do, but you can't put money on life. When you adopt your Betta you should prepare yourself to do whatever you can to save it!
Under 10 dollars, isn't even reasonable. If you are broke, you shouldn't have bought a betta, and if you can spare 10 dollars you can spare more.

look buddy I came here for help not criticism. I have changed his water and he seems to be the right color again although his red fins are kind of dull.

Question: can adult fish eat baby pellet? Can freeze dried blood worms go stale? How often should I attempt to feed a fish who isn't eating? I don't think the outline at the bottom of his fins is black i think its blue.

#5 ak47

ak47

Egg

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 12 August 2008 - 04:41 PM

i can't diagnose him with anything... near his nose i saw a weird tiny white spot... it didn't look like the fungus picture though.

#6 Scarlet Veil

Scarlet Veil

I've got my eye on you...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,306 posts
  • Betta Count:4
  • Total Fish Count:34
  • Referred By:internet search

Posted 12 August 2008 - 04:55 PM

Someone here had a problem like this, I think it was Stacykins, lemme see if I can find it......

#7 ak47

ak47

Egg

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 12 August 2008 - 06:06 PM

anyone think this may be depression?

health notes:
no aquarium salt
some sunlight
no heating
3/4 gallon tank

do you think this would help:

http://www.petco.com...Health-Aid.aspx

?

Edited by ak47, 12 August 2008 - 06:19 PM.

#8 nav2008

nav2008

Halfsun

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 880 posts
  • Betta Count:6 2cts,1sd,2pk 1?
  • Referred By:?

Posted 12 August 2008 - 06:37 PM

I have heard from several people that if the water temp is too cold that they can fade, also how long have you had them? for the first few months after they are taken out of their tiny cup with bad water they were purchaced in, they can change color (mine both did)

#9 ak47

ak47

Egg

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 12 August 2008 - 06:56 PM

almost if not already a year. This change is a new thing.

#10 jenforce

jenforce

Egg

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts
  • Betta Count:5
  • Total Fish Count:7
  • Referred By:Dan
  • Statement:Cut me some slack, I'm an econ grad student. Everything is econ!

Posted 12 August 2008 - 07:36 PM

Bloodworms... I don't know if they necessarily go "stale," but my bettas reach a point where they don't want them anymore. I buy the Hikari Freeze Dried Bloodworms, and after two months or so, they spit them back out at me like, "Uh uh, no way, no how. Make with the fresh stuff NOW."

It does look an awful lot like fin rot. And the clamped fins do indicate he's not in a pleasant mood. More could be wrong, or he just be cold. Hopefully someone comes along that can confirm/correct. smile1.gif If it is fin rot, you can usually clear it up with salt and clean water.

Also, try to get him a bigger tank. I buy Kritter Karriers at Wal-Mart... you can get like a 3 gallon for around $10. Also, a Hydor-Mini Heater from Petco is $14. If you can save up enough to get him those, he will be 664984465489489x happier. For that heater though, you would need at least 2 gallons. And it's not costly. The plus side is you wouldn't have to change him so much. In the 3/4 of a gallon he needs a water change every other day. With two gallons he could go for 4-5 days. That equals a lot less stress on the fish, and new places for him to explore. Until you can save up for a heater, put a towel around his tank at night. Helps insulate a bit.

Adult fish can eat baby pellets. I have a betta that likes the FirstBites stuff I feed my guppy fry. It doesn't hurt them, but just make sure to mix up his nutrition a bit. Variety makes them happy little campers.

#11 HeidiNIndi

HeidiNIndi

Veiltail

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted 12 August 2008 - 09:46 PM

QUOTE (ak47 @ Aug 12 2008, 06:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

health notes:
no aquarium salt
some sunlight
no heating
3/4 gallon tank

?

I haven't tried (or seen) it before, but based on the ingredient list, Betta Revive has a couple of anti-fungal medications and an antibiotic (probably not very strong since it's mixed with other things and you only use a couple drops).

If he has fin rot (and based on the short tail, I still think it looks like he might, even if the edging IS blue), the antibiotic could help. You may find it's not strong enough, but it's better than nothing. Regular antibiotics would probably be better, but they're also more cumbersome to use considering your small tank size (they come in doses pre-measured for 10 gal tanks, so you have to divide up the powder).

#12 HeidiNIndi

HeidiNIndi

Veiltail

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted 12 August 2008 - 09:46 PM

QUOTE (ak47 @ Aug 12 2008, 06:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

health notes:
no aquarium salt
some sunlight
no heating
3/4 gallon tank

?

I haven't tried (or seen) it before, but based on the ingredient list, Betta Revive has a couple of anti-fungal medications and an antibiotic (probably not very strong since it's mixed with other things and you only use a couple drops).

If he has fin rot (and based on the short tail, I still think it looks like he might, even if the edging IS blue), the antibiotic could help. You may find it's not strong enough, but it's better than nothing. Regular antibiotics would probably be better, but they're also more cumbersome to use considering your small tank size (they come in doses pre-measured for 10 gal tanks, so you have to divide up the powder).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq