Super-Delta

• Elite Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 449 posts
  • Betta Count:9
  • Total Fish Count:12
  • Statement:Life is a box of chocolates

Posted 10 July 2008 - 10:33 PM

I've been on the lookout for Java fern, especially Philippine Java Fern (I love the waffled texture) but I've been pretty underwhelmed by the choice in Java ferns at most online stores. In addition pretty much all the US stores charge quite a bit for plantlets consisting of maybe 5-8 leaves. I've been researching the ebay seller Aquatic Magic for a while and I decided to go ahead and order 2 bunches of Philippine Java fern (20 leaves each) and one order of Anubias Nana.

Considering that they ship from Malaysia, I was pretty skeptical of the chances that the plants would make it to me OK. I do like that they have good customer service. They promptly responded to my PM on Aquaticplantcentral.com (they are Sponsors and have a Sponsor forum section). The order total came up to $16. The shipping took a while (which is to be expected). They send it via regular air mail and it usually takes between 2-3 weeks to arrive here.

The plants came in a regular brown paper envelope. Definitely not insulated enough for winter so you probably want to stick to ordering from them when the weather is relatively nice where you live.

The plants themselves were very impressively packed in little plastic bags. I expected them to be completely squished but they were doing well and looked completely healthy! The pic below shows 2 philippine java ferns and 1 anubias nana packed in the plastic ziploc bags.

The size of the Java fern was absolutely astounding! I couldn't believe how large and dense they were. The ball of roots was unreal!

All in all I was extremely happy with the order. This same amount of Java fern would have easily cost me over $60-70 to buy in the US. In addition it is pretty hard to find Philippine Java fern out here, especially in larger volumes. I would definitely do business with them again. However I think these are some things one should keep in mind when ordering from them:

1) Do not order from them as your primary plant source, or if you absolutely must have your plants by a certain date. Shipping is slow, and obviously since they are shipping from Malaysia there are many reasons for your plants to not make it to you in good shape. If that happens they are usually very good about re-shipping plants to you again for no extra charge.

2) Ordering when local weather is extremely hot or cold can be a bad idea.

3) You need to have a certain level of patience. There isn't any tracking number so you have no idea when the plants will arrive. It could be 2 weeks, 4 weeks, or never in which case you need to notify them (After 3 weeks is a good time) and then have them re-ship the plants.

4) One of the negatives is that because these aren't boxed, the plants get flattened and while they do a good job packing the plants, some of the leaves of the fern tend to get folded along sharp creases, essentially killing the upper portion of the leaf. These leaves need to be cut out before planting the java fern in the tank.

That's about it. I couldn't be happier with these plants. The Java fern is already growing and sending new leaves up from the rhizome. Here is a pic of the plants in my tank (along with other plants I ordered from aquabotanicstore):

Edited by Orion, 10 July 2008 - 10:35 PM.

#2 Akythara

Akythara

Alpha Betta

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,013 posts
  • Betta Count:3
  • Total Fish Count:3
  • Referred By:Google!

Posted 10 July 2008 - 10:48 PM

That tank looks so beautiful =O

#3 Bellatrix

Bellatrix

Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 409 posts
  • Statement:"Blah blah blah driftwood blah blah?"

Posted 16 July 2008 - 09:57 PM

I love this seller! They're on aquabid, too and I've gotten a few plants from them. They're doing great. (Even the lace java fern that was shipped in the middle of winter.)

#4 BettaCreek

BettaCreek

Alpha Betta

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,750 posts

Posted 17 July 2008 - 04:15 PM

Whew. I hadn't paid any attention to where the seller was from (yeah yeah, I need to start paying more attention to that kind of thing), but I had ordered $34.22 in plants (I also ordered the P. Java Fern, as well as a crypt, some pellia, java moss, christmas moss and Fissidens. I was upset that the shipping was so much with such a long delivery time, but now I know why. Lol. I'll have to take pictures and do a real review once everything gets here. I'm glad to see that everyone else seems to be so happy with them!

#5 dimeraider

dimeraider

Red Raider Tri Guy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts
  • Betta Count:3
  • Total Fish Count:23
  • Referred By:google

Posted 02 February 2009 - 07:28 PM

Tank looks nice and glad to hear about the + experience. Where did you get your hairgrass from? I don't feel like paying $37 from them for enough for a 40G for part of my 10G. I also have bought Marimo balls, Christmas moss, Spikey moss, and I think my thin leaf java fern from them as well with good results. One of my algae balls was a bit brown but it should be fine.

#6 koolay

koolay

Super-Delta

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 416 posts
  • Betta Count:7
  • Total Fish Count:alot of baby FRY's

Posted 02 February 2009 - 07:32 PM

Thats a sexy HAWT tank!

#7 Orion

Orion

Super-Delta

• Elite Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted 03 February 2009 - 07:46 PM

QUOTE (dimeraider @ Feb 2 2009, 08:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Tank looks nice and glad to hear about the + experience. Where did you get your hairgrass from? I don't feel like paying $37 from them for enough for a 40G for part of my 10G. I also have bought Marimo balls, Christmas moss, Spikey moss, and I think my thin leaf java fern from them as well with good results. One of my algae balls was a bit brown but it should be fine.

QUOTE (koolay @ Feb 2 2009, 08:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thats a sexy HAWT tank!

Thanks guys. The tank is still doing well although the hairgrass hasn't been doing too well after I got lazy and stopped using Excel as a carbon supplement. Regarding the hairgrass, I actually bought two brand new pots from Petsmart (make sure it is new...I made sure to go the day they get shipments in) and grew out the hairgrass in emersed form. Check my post about that here:

http://www.ultimateb...h...=25068&st=0

If you aren't growing emersed you will unfortunately have to spend on more pots. Otherwise get fewer pots but make sure to have good growing conditions and use excel for carbon supplementation. They did really well when I was following the guidelines in my Low Tech, Non CO2 Excel based tank guide, but after I backed off with the excel they stopped doing so well.

PS- The Java fern and Anubias Nana from aquaticmagic are doing amazingly well though. The Java fern is growing everywhere!

Edited by Orion, 03 February 2009 - 07:47 PM.

#8 AnneRiceBowl

AnneRiceBowl

Look Into My Eyes...

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,897 posts
  • Betta Count:1
  • Total Fish Count:1
  • Referred By:bettabelieveit
  • Statement:Always look on the bright side of life.

Posted 03 February 2009 - 09:56 PM

Orion, VERY nice Amano-style tank!

Although I've had and heard hit-and-miss feedback about him. There was also a member here on UB that had the experience of AquaticMagic using a pic without permission.

#9 Tess

Tess

What in tarnation are you on about now?

• Administrator
  • 9,112 posts
  • Betta Count:Many
  • Referred By:Google
  • Statement:All cruelty springs from weakness. ~ Lucius Annaeus Seneca

Posted 04 February 2009 - 09:07 AM

I never had any problems with him, but I knew ahead of time that it wasn't going to be a quick shipment. I wanna say it took 12 days to get here, and his packing method *is* a little odd, but all of the plants were fine. I definitely wouldn't order anything especially fragile from him, though, would stick with a domestic seller for those.

#10 Orion

Orion

Super-Delta

• Elite Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 11:16 AM

QUOTE (AnneRiceBowl @ Feb 3 2009, 10:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Orion, VERY nice Amano-style tank!

Although I've had and heard hit-and-miss feedback about him. There was also a member here on UB that had the experience of AquaticMagic using a pic without permission.

Hey ARB, I can totally see that being the case. I think most of the pics they use are not really their own pictures. While I do not support their ripping off other peoples pictures for making sales, I guess I just wanted to say that in terms of their actual shipment, I was quite pleased. I know that it would have cost me a fortune to buy the amount of java fern/anubias nana I received, here in the US.

QUOTE (TessV @ Feb 4 2009, 10:07 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I never had any problems with him, but I knew ahead of time that it wasn't going to be a quick shipment. I wanna say it took 12 days to get here, and his packing method *is* a little odd, but all of the plants were fine. I definitely wouldn't order anything especially fragile from him, though, would stick with a domestic seller for those.

Totally agree with you Tess...I'd only order rugged plants like ferns and anubias. Weirdly enough I received a terrible shipment of anubias coffeefolia from Aquabotanic...and I received it within 2-3 days of shipment!

#11 AnneRiceBowl

AnneRiceBowl

Look Into My Eyes...

• 3,897 posts
  • Betta Count:1
  • Total Fish Count:1
  • Referred By:bettabelieveit
  • Statement:Always look on the bright side of life.

Posted 04 February 2009 - 01:06 PM

A few years ago, when I was really getting started with my 30 gallon long planted tank, I ordered plants from AquaticMagic, and some plants made it, and some didn't. When I ordered from him, I didn't look to see where he is located. Lesson learned.

Tess, very good advice to order sturdy plants from an overseas seller, and to buy more delicate plants from a more domestic/local grower/hobbiest.

#12 lorindaleigh

lorindaleigh

Wiggler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 06 February 2009 - 05:45 AM

I've ordered from them twice. Both times the plants have arrived dead. The first time they refunded it right away which is why I purchased from them again. The second time they gave me a harder time and I had to file a dispute to get my money back. As soon as I filed they refunded it without having to go through the whole dispute process.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq