Jump to content


Photo

Watch your dogs and some sugarfree gums


  • Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Morgan

Morgan

    Alpha Betta Gamma

  • Retired Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,139 posts
  • Location:Tucson, AZ
  • Real Name:Morgan Z.
  • Gender:Female
  • Age:34

Posted 08 July 2008 - 10:23 PM

Xylitol, a sugar alcohol, can cause dangerous low blood sugar in dogs. This article says it better than I could ever could... so here it is!!


Taken from http://pets.colorado...ory.php?id=5758 Written by: Dr. Anne Pierce


Xylitol is used as a sweetener for sugar-free gums and oral products, as well as foods for diabetics and dieters.

Of course, nothing this good comes without a downside. It turns out that - for reasons that are not completely understood - xylitol can be toxic to dogs.

Even in small quantities, xylitol can cause a reaction that drops a dog's blood glucose to dangerous levels. Within about 30 minutes of ingestion, affected dogs become weak and wobbly and, depending on the dose, could progress to seizures, coma and death from low blood sugar.

As few as three sticks of xylitol-sweetened gum could be toxic to a 20-pound dog. But no self-respecting dog stops at three sticks of gum when it knocks over your purse and finds that package.

The good news is that with IV fluids containing sugar, a dog can be supported until the xylitol passes out of its system. The bad news is that the onset of problems starts shortly after ingestion and dogs are good at getting into things while they are unattended.

Recently, it was discovered that with larger doses of xylitol - say, one batch of a dozen sugar-free cupcakes per cocker spaniel - much more severe problems can occur. Several dogs have died from sudden, crushing liver failure and inability to clot their blood. The dogs that develop this problem are much more difficult to save.

Your veterinarian will start aggressive supportive care and keep her fingers crossed that too much damage has not been done. Inducing vomiting immediately if the dog was witnessed eating xylitol is helpful, but if it has been more than an hour after ingestion, it is probably too late to do much good.

Other artificial sweeteners do not seem to have this effect on dogs, so if they knock over the Splenda it is more of a nuisance than an emergency.

The effect of xylitol on cats and ferrets is unknown.

#2 Styx

Styx

    UberUBer

  • AdminiStyx
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,347 posts
  • Location:Nowhere
  • Gender:Not Sure
  • Betta Count:1
  • Total Fish Count:1

Posted 08 July 2008 - 11:16 PM

Uh, wow. I buy Trident a lot and that's what it's got in it. I would have never known if you hadn't post this Morgan, and Tanuki gets into EVERYTHING. This lack of knowledge could have very well killed Tanuki. I'll be a lot more careful where I put my Trident...

#3 Morgan

Morgan

    Alpha Betta Gamma

  • Retired Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,139 posts
  • Location:Tucson, AZ
  • Real Name:Morgan Z.
  • Gender:Female
  • Age:34

Posted 08 July 2008 - 11:26 PM

I felt the same, Styx. My stomach dropped when I read the articles. My standard poodle gets into stuff daily and one of these days he could get into the Orbitz gum 12 pack from Costco. no1.gif

#4 Tess

Tess

    What in tarnation are you on about now?

  • Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,112 posts
  • Location:Saint Petersburg, FL
  • Real Name:Tess
  • Gender:Female
  • Age:38
  • Betta Count:Many
  • Referred By:Google
  • Statement:All cruelty springs from weakness. ~ Lucius Annaeus Seneca

Posted 09 July 2008 - 07:03 AM

omg7.gif

Thank you for posting this, Morgan, I didn't know.

#5 Linsun11

Linsun11

    Alpha Betta

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,240 posts
  • Location:New York
  • Real Name:Lindsey
  • Gender:Female
  • Age:18

Posted 09 July 2008 - 07:58 AM

O_o Yikes!! I didn't know as well...and Sirius loves to try and steal my packs of gum...thank you for posting this!!! thumb5.gif

#6 Styx

Styx

    UberUBer

  • AdminiStyx
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,347 posts
  • Location:Nowhere
  • Gender:Not Sure
  • Betta Count:1
  • Total Fish Count:1

Posted 11 July 2008 - 01:28 AM

I felt this needed to be stickied.

#7 WigglePuppy

WigglePuppy

    Alpha Betta

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,221 posts
  • Gender:Female
  • Age:32
  • Betta Count:5
  • Total Fish Count:enough....I think

Posted 20 July 2008 - 02:49 PM

Xylitol is also a popular sweetener in Asian candies. Maybe you guys aren't weird like me and enjoy eating international candies, but in case you DO, be careful!

#8 Myrtle

Myrtle

    Insane Poster

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 471 posts
  • Location:At the computer, of course!
  • Real Name:Meredith
  • Gender:Female
  • Age:18
  • Betta Count:2 Males
  • Total Fish Count:2
  • Statement:Yes.

Posted 31 July 2008 - 09:58 PM

Wow, thanks for telling us! Even though my sister usually eat all of the gum before my dog could ever get to it...

I'm glad we have this knowledge, although it is unfortunate how we have to learn things sometimes. sader1.gif

#9 reiko89

reiko89

    You there, in the shirt! Stop this instant!

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,149 posts
  • Location:Lexington, Kentucky
  • Real Name:Kristy
  • Gender:Female
  • Age:21
  • Betta Count:2
  • Total Fish Count:18 Aqua-babies
  • Statement:School is cool unless you're a fool.

Posted 29 June 2010 - 11:57 AM

This article possibly saved my dog. My boyfriend and I were looking for herbal calming aids for him, because he has severe seperation anxiety, and we found two that looked fine, one was Rescue remedy and the other was something else, but it had xylitol in it, of course the xylitol brand was cheaper and my boyfriend grabbed it, I took one look at the ingredients and said NO! He was confused, because he's a med student and knows about xylitol for PEOPLE (but has never owned a dog or any pet), and assumed it would be harmless for the dog too. I had not read the whole article, so I didn't know what it would do to him off hand, but I refused to let him get the cheaper, dangerous option. This morning I read the article and reported the reasons to him and he said he was glad then that I refused to buy it.




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq