#1 Wyn

Wyn

Worrywart Extraordinaire

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts
  • Betta Count:2
  • Referred By:AquaRank, via Google
  • Statement:All I ever asked for, in life, was an unfair advantage.

Posted 30 May 2008 - 09:23 AM

NOTE: I wrote this, yesterday, in the original thread I started for Giles. Since I didn't get any responses, I cut it from that post and have started a new topic with it. I checked the rules and didn't see anything about removing a post from one thread and starting a new one. I hope this is ok.

Hi, everyone. The worrywart is back, again. With pictures!

(Before I go on, I wanna thank everyone who's been so wonderfully supportive and working hard to make sure I don't fall into an early grave over guilt. I appreciate all of your help, advice and support so much!)

Now... I noticed something different with Giles (couple of things) and I want to make sure everything's ok and, if not, what I should do about it.

1.) At the base of his dorsal fin, he's got a bit of redness that wasn't there, before. Since he's got so much cellophane in him, I can notice differences in his body really easily. So, here's a picture of it. Could it be too much flaring? Also, a bit of a better shot of the dark spot on his anal fin.

2.) His poop is long strings that're curled up. This may be normal, but I have no idea. I know that Remy's poop doesn't look like this, so one or the other may be sick. Need to know for sure, so here're two pictures.

-- Extreme closeup!

Thanks for looking, everyone. smile1.gif

EDIT: Oh, crap. What does this mean?! I came back and sat down in my chair from having talked to my boss and looked at Giles. He was twitching crazily. His head would jerk violently, like a tick or a spasm! He swam around a bit, occasionally twitching. I tried to calm him down by lightly touching the glass so he could see my finger. He swam to it and he seems to've calmed down a bit. But, it scared the crap out of me. Could it've been hiccups? He's been hanging around near the bottom of his tank more than usual, but I figured that's because he could. Before, I had some gravel down there, but I wanted to make sure he was pooping normally, since it's kinda hard to see with the gravel. Oh, man. What, now? sader1.gif

#2 Haibane

Haibane

Crowntail

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 631 posts
  • Betta Count:More than 100... plus fry...
  • Total Fish Count:Many!
  • Statement:"Gutenmorgen meine fishies!"

Posted 30 May 2008 - 09:50 AM

It sounds like internal parasites. You'll need internal parasite meds he can eat. I have fish who have this, too. I'm using jungle brand anti-parasite food, I'm not sure that's the best medicine, but it seems to be helping.

I'm not sure if the twitching is related or now, Hopefully someone who does will answer.

Good luck! I'm glad you aren't giving up!

#3 WolflyFinesse

WolflyFinesse

Veiltail

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 265 posts
  • Betta Count:1
  • Total Fish Count:1
  • Statement:Disturbing the Violence since 1981

Posted 30 May 2008 - 10:42 AM

That extreme closeup actually looks like poo.. being on his anal fin you said? Perhaps a little just got caught there?

As for the twitching.. is it the movement he makes when he eats? maybe something got stuck and he tried to dislodge it?

Edit: OH i see now, I was WONDERING how you got the fish to sit so still in order to get a closeup of poo on his fin O.o it's in a dish! *Hi captain obvious here*

Umm I read something about balled up poo in here somewhere I'll see if I can find it for you smile1.gif

Edit 2: this is the link I saw. The fish was severely constipated and she was saying how the poo was compacted, as you were discribing. Has he been consitpated at all that you know of?

Link: http://www.ultimateb...mp;#entry228774

Edited by WolflyFinesse, 30 May 2008 - 11:03 AM.

#4 Cristafene

Cristafene

Alpha Betta

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,574 posts
  • Betta Count:Changes

Posted 30 May 2008 - 11:45 AM

Er -- I think twitching occasionally is normal. My both fishes twitch like that. Sometimes when they see me and want food, but sometimes they're dancing and jerking around at their reflection in the side of the tank. My Serafin skims up and down the side of her environment like a rocket sometimes; she's very nosy. She doesn't appear to be rubbing against anything. I've seen bettas do this elsewhere.

#5 Wyn

Wyn

Worrywart Extraordinaire

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts
  • Betta Count:2
  • Referred By:AquaRank, via Google
  • Statement:All I ever asked for, in life, was an unfair advantage.

Posted 30 May 2008 - 12:09 PM

QUOTE (WolflyFinesse @ May 30 2008, 11:42 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
That extreme closeup actually looks like poo.. being on his anal fin you said? Perhaps a little just got caught there?

As for the twitching.. is it the movement he makes when he eats? maybe something got stuck and he tried to dislodge it?

Edit: OH i see now, I was WONDERING how you got the fish to sit so still in order to get a closeup of poo on his fin O.o it's in a dish! *Hi captain obvious here*

Actually, that was on the bottom of his tank, yep. I just got the camera lense as close to the water's surface as I could and snapped a couple of shots. Not easy with the flash glaring off of the bottom. The dark spot on his anal fin is unrelated, insofar as I know. smile1.gif

QUOTE (WolflyFinesse @ May 30 2008, 11:42 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Umm I read something about balled up poo in here somewhere I'll see if I can find it for you smile1.gif

Edit 2: this is the link I saw. The fish was severely constipated and she was saying how the poo was compacted, as you were discribing. Has he been consitpated at all that you know of?

Link: http://www.ultimateb...mp;#entry228774

For the first few days I had him, I was worried he was constipated. So, I fasted him, fed him a bit of pea and, the next day, he had black, string-like poo hanging from what I guess is his behind, being between his ventral and anal fins. I used a clean plastic spoon to get it off. I didn't know that it wasn't what fish poo should look like, so I just kept changing his water daily with aquarium salt and such.

Now, he doesn't appear to be constipated, to look at him... But, there's obviously something wrong with his poop looking like that. I'm going to start him on some Jungle Parasite Clear and just keep adding that to his water. Additionally, I'm gonna get one of those Jr.Aquatics heaters at Walmart, so he'll have water at the right temperature. Remy may just have to wait a little bit. He seems to be doing ok, for the moment.

Giles is still quite twitchy. He spooks easily--well, easier than normal. Just seems slightly agitated. -sigh-

#6 crazy4bettas

crazy4bettas

Halfmoon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 622 posts
  • Betta Count:Too many lol
  • Total Fish Count:too many
  • Referred By:Zena
  • Statement:"Bettas rule in this house"

Posted 30 May 2008 - 06:11 PM

Hi Wyn,

As for the redish spot at the base of the tail, I'm guessing you mean the vessels... that is completely normal and indicates a good circulation smile1.gif It is just more easily seen on the lighter colored fish.

As for poo, my fellows often have both types of poo. Usually the "blobby" poo occurs when my boys are flaring or if they are mildly constipated.

Twitching can be a sign of parasites, both internal and external. Internal requires treatment with Metronidazole - preferably in the food rather than just in the water. External requires figuring out what it is and treating - but JPC is often the drug of choice. If you notice them "flashing" (quick scrape along their sides) against the decorations, gravel, glass etc then it would be a good idea to treat with the JPC. I have on occasion witnessed them "flashing" with hexamita (internal parasites) and poor water quality too though.

Check them for signs of velvet which can be really hard to see and can cause every single sign you have described. Also make sure their water parameters are good - high ammonia or nitrites can cause everything except the clumpy poo which might just be normal for your guys. I personally treat every new addition with medicated food to treat against Hexamita just to be sure they are clear.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq