• Christopher
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,815 posts
  • Betta Count:Zero.
  • Total Fish Count:None?
  • Referred By:Ceiling Cat.
  • Statement:(OO=00=OO)

Posted 09 August 2006 - 12:08 AM

A Clown Loach or Tiger Botia (Chromobotia macracanthus, formerly Botia macracanthus ) is a freshwater fish belonging to the loach family (Cobitidae). Originating in Indonesia on the islands of Sumatra and Borneo, it is commonly kept as a pet in tropical aquaria. They have an orange fins with 3 black bands on a yellowish body and some barbels about their mouth. They grow slowly to a maximum length of 11.8 in (30.0 cm). These fish do not readily breed in captivity, partly due to the fact that they do not reach sexual maturity until after nine or ten years of age. Clown loaches may live for up to 50 years.

A harmless, very active, social fish, they are best kept in groups of 5 or more. These fish have defensive spines located under their eyes. In cases of extreme distress they can deploy their spines located beneath their eyes. If a loach deploys its spines while caught in a net, untangle it very carefully. Some owners have been stabbed while trying to catch or touch these fish. When kept in smaller groups, they may spend more time hiding under obstacles in the water. They are also found to make clicking noises when excited or eating. Sometimes they lie on their sides on the bottom of the tank and appear to be dead. This is a common event and the aqauarist should be aware of this fact or false removal may occur. They natively live in a tropical climate and prefer water with a 5.0 - 8.0 pH, a water hardness of 5.0 - 12.0 dGH, and an ideal temperature range of 77 - 86 F (25 - 30 C). They eat small worms, crustaceans, and plant matter.

If you have noticed that your Clown Loaches do not come out of hiding, there are some easy things to adjust so that your Clown Loaches will be more comfortable. A good tank setup for a Clown Loach should include ample shade, plants (plastic or real), hiding places and other peaceful fishes. Make sure the environment is not too bright. Provide shade from tank lighting. If your tank is next to a window, you should move it.

Because Clown Loaches come from rivers and streams, they are accustomed to having other fishes and plants in their environment. Not having plants and/or other fishes can cause Clown Loaches to become stressed and to go into hiding. Be careful when adding fish into a tank with Clown Loaches. If you have just added an aggressive fish, and it is causing stress to your Clown Loaches, it should be removed. Before introducing Clown Loaches to your tank, make sure the fish you currently have are compatible.

You should also provide a variety of foods for your loaches. Bottom Feeder Pellets should be given daily. You should feed your Clown Loaches live foods as well.

Clown loaches are also regarded as a natural way of controlling an infestation of small snails in the aquarium.

Information courtesy of Wikipedia.

Posted Image

#2 Saucy

Saucy

Spread the love

• Super Moderator
  • 10,833 posts
  • Betta Count:3
  • Total Fish Count:TONS
  • Referred By:BettaMomma!!
  • Statement:"The measure of a society can be how well its people treat its animals." ~ Gandhi

Posted 09 August 2006 - 11:15 PM

One thing to add is that about 99% of clown loaches are wild-caught and usually infested with parasites. You should treat their food with metronidazole before adding them to a tank with other fish. :)

#3 ellymae

ellymae

Oh, it's a massacre alright.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 188 posts
  • Betta Count:Thirteen.
  • Total Fish Count:Not out of hand any longer.

Posted 05 November 2006 - 07:52 PM

12 INCHES?! The guy who sold me mine did not tell me that, I'm hoping once he gets too big he'll let me trade him for a small one again though. :(

#4 Christopher

Christopher

Self-explanatory

• Christopher
  • 22,815 posts

Posted 05 November 2006 - 08:59 PM

Should also have them in groups of at least 3. :D

#5 Blaze

Blaze

Wiggler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 05 November 2006 - 09:43 PM

I'm pretty sure that most clown loaches kept in tanks don't grow as big, like around 8 inches.

#6 Christopher

Christopher

Self-explanatory

• Christopher
  • 22,815 posts

Posted 05 November 2006 - 09:47 PM

They all have the chance of getting to 12+" though. Plans should be made for these fish for that outcome as well. :yes:
  • C M likes this

#7 Blaze

Blaze

Wiggler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 05 November 2006 - 09:53 PM

I agree :yes: Just that i've never actually seen one go past more than 5 inches. Do you know if they look the same after they reach about 8 inches? Just wondering since i've always wanted one as soon as i get a huge tank.

#8 Christopher

Christopher

Self-explanatory

• Christopher
  • 22,815 posts

Posted 05 November 2006 - 09:58 PM

I have seen a 14" clown loach with a bunch of 8-12" ones in a Calgary fish store....they live with a red chili arowana ($30,000)

No, they don't look as good at that size, they are very pale and the black was not good on them. However, I had 6 - 6" ones when I lived in Calgary, and they were just as beautiful as they are when you first buy them....maybe it has to do with their diet. :P

#9 Morgan

Morgan

Alpha Betta Gamma

• Retired Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,139 posts

Posted 05 November 2006 - 10:06 PM

Would they eat blackworms?

#10 Christopher

Christopher

Self-explanatory

• Christopher
  • 22,815 posts

Posted 05 November 2006 - 10:07 PM

:yes:

#11 ellymae

ellymae

Oh, it's a massacre alright.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 188 posts
  • Betta Count:Thirteen.
  • Total Fish Count:Not out of hand any longer.

Posted 12 November 2006 - 02:16 AM

Three? Crap, I've only got him in a ten gal aquarium at the moment as he is only under two inches. He's in there with four rummynose tetras. -.- Damn. Well, I'm sure I won't have him until he's that long, I'd probably give him back to the petstore even though I paid like eight bucks for him. He's cute, but I found pictures of them at 12 inches and got scurred.

#12 J Miller Lite

J Miller Lite

Respect the Penguin

• Elite Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,344 posts
  • Betta Count:1 Male
  • Total Fish Count:No idea anymore
  • Referred By:Google
  • Statement:Remember, we are all unique...just like everybody else.

Posted 08 March 2008 - 09:12 PM

Yeah, it really depends how big of a tank they're in and how many companions they have, if you've got a group of 5 of them in somethig like a 40 gallon they should get at the LEAST 7 inches, one of the petstores down here has a huge tank in the front of the store filled with barbs, cichlids, large gouramis, and a small family of clown loaches that actively breed. They dont need to order them cause they breed often enough when the fry are old enough they go on sale.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq