#1 Cristafene

Cristafene

Alpha Betta

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,573 posts
  • Betta Count:Changes

Posted 20 May 2008 - 06:54 PM

To my horror, I saw a piece of stringy white poop hanging from my fish. It appears to have fallen off now. The other day I saw what looked like normal poop also hanging from him. It eventually fell off. Do you think Blue Ling has intestinal parasites??? A few days ago a fruit fly got into his water (it had wings) - and he ate it. He was like a bat out of hell with excitement. He spit out the wings. Do you think he could've gotten parasites? The only live food I've fed him was live brine shrimp (in moderation) from my pet store. He usually eats Tetra pellets, Omega One flakes (which he loves) or Hikari gold-pellets. He has dried bloodworms and has eaten them on occasion. Should I do something now???

#2 Cristafene

Cristafene

Alpha Betta

• Members
  • 1,573 posts

Posted 21 May 2008 - 05:52 AM

I saw again normal poop, so unsure if I'm overreacting, but I may get the Junglelabs. Can that hurt if the fish DOESN'T have parasites internally?

#3 Eudie

Eudie

1958-2010 RIP Baby

• Retired Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,627 posts
  • Betta Count:Who knows?
  • Total Fish Count:See Above
  • Referred By:In the beginning . . .
  • Statement:Don't be so open-minded; your brains will fall out.

Posted 21 May 2008 - 08:58 AM

I'd keep a watch on the poop and if it continues to be brown and he's showing no other symptoms of a problem, then I wouldn't worry about it, however if it is white and stringy then you do need to treat. Just don't jump the gun unless you are sure.

If you saw stringy white poop, the Jungle Parasite Clear isn't what you want. Stringy white poop indicates internal worms and you'll need a med for worms and flukes. Although JPC claims to work on them, it is very mild and never has worked on worms or flukes in any instance I've ever known of. PraziPro is great for externals, but it doesn't say anything about internals, so I don't know if it would help or not. I know that National Fish Pharmacy sells something on their website for internals though. They recommend a combination of Paracide-D and DeLos.

http://www.fishyfarm...html#Paracide-D

#4 Cristafene

Cristafene

Alpha Betta

• Members
  • 1,573 posts

Posted 21 May 2008 - 12:46 PM

Thanks. I'm going to order those meds just in case. It's weird. I've never seen him "in action" doing his duty, but the past few days I see it hanging (and then it does eventually fall off). I thought he was constipated, but can't get him to eat these organic peas I bought. I nuke one and try to give it to him and he ignores it totally. I thought bettas loved peas. I didn't like the look of the white stringy thing. It freaked me out. I tried looking at him with a magnifying glass and flashlight and you all know how that went over.

QUOTE (Eudie @ May 21 2008, 08:58 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'd keep a watch on the poop and if it continues to be brown and he's showing no other symptoms of a problem, then I wouldn't worry about it, however if it is white and stringy then you do need to treat. Just don't jump the gun unless you are sure.

If you saw stringy white poop, the Jungle Parasite Clear isn't what you want. Stringy white poop indicates internal worms and you'll need a med for worms and flukes. Although JPC claims to work on them, it is very mild and never has worked on worms or flukes in any instance I've ever known of. PraziPro is great for externals, but it doesn't say anything about internals, so I don't know if it would help or not. I know that National Fish Pharmacy sells something on their website for internals though. They recommend a combination of Paracide-D and DeLos.

http://www.fishyfarm...html#Paracide-D

#5 Eudie

Eudie

1958-2010 RIP Baby

• Retired Moderator
  • 13,627 posts

Posted 21 May 2008 - 01:07 PM

Yeah, if its hanging on him for a while like that, chances are it is internal worms. You're wise in ordering it.

As for the peas, I always recommend fasting for at least one day before feeding them to the betta for the first time. Lots of them won't try them unless they are really hungry, but once they do try them, they love them. Might fast a day or two and then try a small piece. You do shell them and mash up the insides don't you?

#6 Cristafene

Cristafene

Alpha Betta

• Members
  • 1,573 posts

Posted 21 May 2008 - 07:19 PM

Oh, God. I just ordered the medication, but I'm very scared. I now see his anus area is all inflamed and thin red worm (I guess) is hanging out although it fell off; later it was gone. I identified it as camallus worms. I just hear depressing things about them. I keep his water very clean, so I'm shocked. I tried taking photos. They aren't that great. It looks like he has white spots, but he doesn't. That's the flash. His color is fine. I'm so freaked out about all this. He is acting a little depressed. He made a big bubble nest and hangs out under it. He also hangs out under the Indian almond leave I put there. That's what is above him. He ate a pea tonight. Gobbled it down. I was glad about that. The medication is on order. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

#7 Cristafene

Cristafene

Alpha Betta

• Members
  • 1,573 posts

Posted 21 May 2008 - 07:21 PM

In the second photo, the Indian Almond Leave is on top of him, I mean, not the first. I have an awful lot of plants in the water (all live). I hope they aren't causing the problems.

#8 Tess

Tess

What in tarnation are you on about now?

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,112 posts
  • Betta Count:Many
  • Referred By:Google
  • Statement:All cruelty springs from weakness. ~ Lucius Annaeus Seneca

Posted 21 May 2008 - 07:28 PM

Hanging out under the IAL is perfectly normal, most of my fish do the same. As for the rest, just keep on doing what you're doing until the meds arrive, no panic allowed. smile1.gif

#9 Eudie

Eudie

1958-2010 RIP Baby

• Retired Moderator
  • 13,627 posts

Posted 22 May 2008 - 06:35 AM

He might not feel good, but he should be okay for a few days until the meds get there. Glad you spotted a problem early on. Hang in there and keep us posted.

#10 Cristafene

Cristafene

Alpha Betta

• Members
  • 1,573 posts

Posted 22 May 2008 - 12:15 PM

I've been reading so many depressing things about camallanus worms. The thing that has me confused is that my fish's fins are red and kind of feathery, so I started thinking hopefully that maybe the little red thing I saw was a hair from a fin?? But the medication is on order. On one forum someone advised that the person asking put their fish down who had the worms. Well, I am going to treat my fish before I'd ever think of doing something so drastic. I thought of doing another water change??? I am going to take out the stones at the bottom of his environment so I can clearly see what is going on. I just did a water change recently and didn't want to subject him to another, but I'm unsure now.

#11 Eudie

Eudie

1958-2010 RIP Baby

• Retired Moderator
  • 13,627 posts

Posted 22 May 2008 - 01:37 PM

Brian at National Fish Pharmacy is a member here and I have faith that the products he recommends will do a good job. If he thinks an illness isn't curable, he will tell you. yes1.gif And if the medication doesn't seem to be working you can also e-mail him for a consultation. He's very nice and has helped us before. smile1.gif

If you are doing a water change to get the substrate out of his tank that is fine, but otherwise just do them on your regular schedule. This is one thing more frequent w/c's won't help.

#12 Cristafene

Cristafene

Alpha Betta

• Members
  • 1,573 posts

Posted 26 May 2008 - 04:26 PM

UPDATE. OK - I actually have the medication from FISH FARMACY which I put into the water. I underdid it a little because I was unsure of exact dosage and right now would prefer underdoing than overdoing until I can be sure, but he actually ate a few pieces of it before spitting it out. I also gave him the parasite oral medicine which he spit out PRONTO!!! So frustrating! He's no fool. He didn't get any food two days prior, but he still spit it out!!! I felt a little bad and gave him some regular food, but no more. He has to eat this stuff. Funny - I'm confused. He still is red and swollen down there. When I put him in new aquarium (hospital tank - 3 gallon), he went nuts, darting all over. I was a little afraid, even though I floated him for a bit and spooned in some of the new water into his cup so he'd get used to it. He still went zooming around, nosing everywhere, perhaps because it's a new environment. I kept some of his old plants (rinsed off) so it wouldn't be too shocking and put in extra Indian almond leaves. I may put a silk plant in there for a little more cover so he feels more secure. Now he seems to be calming down. I turned the lights down. The new water has the medication. I didn't see any worms in the water - not a one, so unsure if he really has them or what it is, but he's definitely inflamed down there, so I have to do this medication schedule to see if I can get it cleared up. Tomorrow I am giving him more medicated food and no other kind. I have to be tough.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq