#1 Linsun11

Linsun11

Alpha Betta

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,240 posts

Posted 19 May 2008 - 10:26 AM

Guide to Uploading/Posting Pictures

A lot of people who first come to the board have lots of beautiful pictures of their bettas they want to show off. However, they really don't know how to upload them onto the internet, or post them on the board. I wanted to write this simple little guide to hopefully help newcomers learn how to do just that smile1.gif

Uploading your Pictures to the Internet

Step 1: Take a picture. I know, it sounds simple. Take a bunch of pictures (photographing fish is harder than you may think!) until you find one or 2 you really like.

Step 2: Upload the pictures onto your computer. This is usually done with a cord plugged into a USB port on your computer and your actual camera. Usually a screen like this will pop up:

Save the pictures in a location where they will be easily found later. You can do that by clicking 'Browse'.

Step 3: Go to Photobucket and create your own account. Don't worry, it's completely free.

Click the 'Join Now' button and go along with the registration process. It's quick and easy happy1.gif

Step 4: Upload the picture you just uploaded to your computer onto Photobucket.

You can change the method by which you upload pictures if you want. I like the 'old uploader' because it's just easier tongue1.gif

Click on browse, and go to the folder where you saved your recently uploaded pictures. Double-click on the picture you want to upload to the internet.

When you do that, it will now look like this. When you're done choosing pictures, click 'upload'.

The menu will then change into this; it's showing you your progress. If you're only uploading one picture, it won't take long at all. As you upload more pictures at a time, you'll have to wait a little longer.

Adding Pictures to your Posts

Step 5: Once your picture is done uploading, copy the picture's URL to your clipboard.

If you scroll down on the photobucket page, you'll find the picture(s) you uploaded. You want to right-click and 'copy' the URL second-down.

Step 6: Go to UB, and choose to Create a New Topic if you want to make your own board with your pictures.

It'll bring to you a page like this:

To put the picture you uploaded onto the board, click the 'Insert Image' button. A window like this will pop up:

Paste the URL you copied into the window:

And click Okay. Your text entry box should look something like this:

Step 7: You're almost there! Add any text you want, either above or below the image. You can add as many pictures as you want, but bear in mind that the more pictures you add to a post, the harder it may be for some people to see your post - Dial Up users and such. When you're ready, hit 'Post New Topic' near the bottom, and you're done! Your post will come up along with your beautiful betta photos.

Speaking of beautiful betta photos, why not read this care sheet on how to take better betta photos?

A note: If your picture is relatively large, the board will automatically shrink it down. To see the full-sized picture, just click on your picture and it will open into a separate window.

I hope this guide has helped! happy1.gif

#2 Eudie

Eudie

1958-2010 RIP Baby

• Retired Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,627 posts
  • Betta Count:Who knows?
  • Total Fish Count:See Above
  • Referred By:In the beginning . . .
  • Statement:Don't be so open-minded; your brains will fall out.

Posted 19 May 2008 - 02:02 PM

Very nice, Linsun11! I'm going to post a link to this in the staff room and see if they would like for me to pin it. tup1.gif

#3 Synirr

Synirr

Sanity and happiness are an impossible combination.

• Root Administrator
  • 12,904 posts
  • Betta Count:Some
  • Total Fish Count:Lots

Posted 19 May 2008 - 04:34 PM

Great work, thanks for the guide, I'm sure it will be very helpful! smile-222.gif

#4 Alanna

Alanna

Aran, my sexy new boy

• Members
  • 1,116 posts
  • Betta Count:18.
  • Total Fish Count:18.
  • Referred By:Google
  • Statement:Ghost Shrimp are one of the only good male betta tankmates. REPEAT AFTER ME!

Posted 19 May 2008 - 06:53 PM

Awesome idea! I just want to mention though that you don't have to do steps 5-6 (using the "add image" button) if you copy the IMG CODE line instead of the direct link on. Also, usually just clicking on the code automatically copies it for you (at least in my experience).

#5 Orion

Orion

Super-Delta

• Elite Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 449 posts
  • Betta Count:9
  • Total Fish Count:12
  • Statement:Life is a box of chocolates

Posted 19 May 2008 - 09:46 PM

Great tutorial Linsun. Btw I hope you don't mind, I had written this post a while back regarding how to upload pics to Imageshack. I figured I might as well include it here.

1) Open the site http://www.imageshack.us
2) Make sure the radio button for 'image' is selected.
3) Click on "Browse" and it will open up a dialog where you can go through the folders on your hard drive to find the image file you wish to upload.
4) Browse to the directory which contains your image file, select it and then hit 'Open'
5) You can check the box saying "Resize Image" if you wish to reduce the size. If you do check the box, then you can use the drop down dialog to select what resolution you wan't your image to be resized to. 640x480 or 800x600 would be a good choice for posting pictures on forums such as UB.
6) I usually uncheck the box saying "Find Hot Jobs ..." or some other sponsor crap as it opens up an unnecessary popup window with ads.
7) Click the "Host it" button and wait while your image file is uploaded
8) Once the file is uploaded a new page will load. Scroll to the part which says 'Hotlink for forums(1)'. Copy whatever text is in the little box adjacent to it. If you paste that text into your actual post the picture will be displayed when you "Preview your post" or actually to submit your post.

I don't know what other peoples experience has been with photobucket, but I've seen a lot of pics on forums occasionally with an error msg from photobucket saying the pic is no longer available. Do they time out over time/if they don't have sufficient views? I haven't had any such experience with imageshack yet. I wonder if any service is better than the other.

#6 Linsun11

Linsun11

Alpha Betta

• Members
  • 1,240 posts

Posted 20 May 2008 - 10:54 AM

Thanks for pinning!! happy1.gif And I'm glad you guys are helping add to it...it should help people even more thumb5.gif

#7 Eudie

Eudie

1958-2010 RIP Baby

• Retired Moderator
  • 13,627 posts
  • Betta Count:Who knows?
  • Total Fish Count:See Above
  • Referred By:In the beginning . . .
  • Statement:Don't be so open-minded; your brains will fall out.

Posted 21 May 2008 - 07:26 AM

Hey, we all work together around here. smile-222.gif Thank YOU so much for pulling this together and giving us such a good base to build on. We've needed something like it for a while now.

I'm an idiot about posting pictures, but I plan on printing this out and having it right by my side next week while I'm home on vacation and have time to play around with it a bit. yes1.gif

I may learn how to post a picture here yet!!!!

#8 AnthemForAFallenStar

AnthemForAFallenStar

Omi

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,443 posts
  • Betta Count:None
  • Total Fish Count:0
  • Statement:Not breeding right now, will get back into it in the future.

Posted 26 December 2009 - 09:41 PM

Wow I never thought someone would have to make a picture guide. I'm glad we had one I was about to make one and saw this. Good Job!!! :tup: :lock:

#9 TheBettaholic

TheBettaholic

Halfmoon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 712 posts

Posted 26 December 2009 - 10:03 PM

I don't know what other peoples experience has been with photobucket, but I've seen a lot of pics on forums occasionally with an error msg from photobucket saying the pic is no longer available. Do they time out over time/if they don't have sufficient views? I haven't had any such experience with imageshack yet. I wonder if any service is better than the other.

^ I think that happens whenever you move pictures around in your photobucket account. Even if its not deleted, if the picture was moved to a different album the IMG code doesnt work anymore. very annoying.

#10 JEAUX

JEAUX

Wiggler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts
  • Betta Count:3
  • Total Fish Count:3

Posted 19 February 2010 - 11:53 PM

Is there anyway to eliminate photobucket out of the procedure, and replace it with pictures from myspace or facebook? I don't really want to start another online account but if that is the only way then I will

#11 Ohtar

Ohtar

Starving Artist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts
  • Betta Count:4
  • Statement:Eat, sleep, work, watch the fish. It's a good life.

Posted 24 March 2010 - 01:08 AM

i attempted the upload an image from my photobucket account and got an error saying the image code wasnt allowed in the forum. are there certain boards where we cant do this?

#12 Synirr

Synirr

Sanity and happiness are an impossible combination.

• Root Administrator
  • 12,904 posts
  • Betta Count:Some
  • Total Fish Count:Lots

Posted 24 March 2010 - 11:31 AM

i attempted the upload an image from my photobucket account and got an error saying the image code wasnt allowed in the forum. are there certain boards where we cant do this?

Make sure you are using the IMG code and not the HTML code. This site does not support HTML in posts, but you should be able to post an image in any forum using the correct format. The image code should look like this:
[img] http://LinkToYourImage.com [/img]

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq